Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMOST passed smog - SOLVED w/drive cycle procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thread revival- my turn to give this a try over the weekend. New to me car but it had been under knife for a few months and new battery. I’ll do the cycle above and report back.

I recall all doing this years ago in a former car. I was in the Bay Area trying to keep under 60 and this Honda got really close to me and receding the motor with what looked like a giant kazoo for an exhaust. Nearly crapped myself and went off road. Hope folks in Portland will be a bit more patient! We have sniff/OBD2 but no real visual. I’m flashed currently with Kline2.5 and 200cel cats so curious how this goes. A previous car with 3.8l build, large turbos, GMG exhaust (with cats), and GIAC tune also passed- so I’m hopeful.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:10 PM
88mmm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're having issues getting the monitors ready it may be the tune. My car had the O2's basically turned off though the EPL tune. I contacted them and they re flashed me with an updated version for states with the OBD2 check. My car was new to me at the time and it was rather frustrating.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 88mmm
If you're having issues getting the monitors ready it may be the tune. My car had the O2's basically turned off though the EPL tune. I contacted them and they re flashed me with an updated version for states with the OBD2 check. My car was new to me at the time and it was rather frustrating.
indeed. i just went through this yesterday ( and a few weeks of the usual hassle with the monitors re-setting )
after replacing the pre 02's ( stored soft code w/ no cels ) i had to de-tune back to stock.

cat monitor immediately went into "ready" and car passed smog.
next up a sambo cobb refresh! i deal with this every two years and it should be easier if i have the flash loader NEXT time. i would've just loaded the OEM map and passed. instead of the weeks of messing with it and then the diagnosis resulting in ditching the "old" corrupted tune.

600 bucks to pass smog when the car ran perfectly. talk about a "cottage industry"!? sheesh.

( i just noticed my last sets of complaints upthread are exactly two years old. go figure lol )
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Did the readiness drive and started with only 2 ok. By the end all but one wasn’t (2nd O2). This might be enough for OR. Will find out later this week. Great drive out towards the coast- cruise set to 59! When I move back to CA I’ll most likely need to borrow an OEM exhaust and flash back to stock... but we are a ways out from that.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
Did the readiness drive and started with only 2 ok. By the end all but one wasn’t (2nd O2). This might be enough for OR. Will find out later this week. Great drive out towards the coast- cruise set to 59! When I move back to CA I’ll most likely need to borrow an OEM exhaust and flash back to stock... but we are a ways out from that.
I've got a 45K mile stock exhaust here at the house in East Bay, so if you do move to the Bay Area we've got you covered. I recently installed it, flashed back to stock, drove 90 miles round trip from San Francisco to San Ramon, all readiness states were good, passed smog no problem. Then reinstalled the Kline exhaust with new HJS cats, so I am hoping not to deal with the exhaust R&R again...
Old 04-21-2019, 01:15 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

you wont need an oem exhaust running the kline w cats. it will pass. you *might* not even need to flash back to stock.

if you have the catalyst ready? thats the toughest one as the cats have to be fully "heated" to register. the 02 sensors must of course be good ( why i swapped the pre's the other day ). CA is just becoming more and more bizarre. we can't pass smog with one "monitor" "not ready" yet people can **** on the streets of SF.

actually, the one that they dont care about and will let slide is the EVAP, and thats the only one ( it was two a couple years ago ). they just assume it's a bad gas cap lol.

but with the cobb "loader" its a push of a button. i'm not gonna deal with this nonsense again lol.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:54 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
you wont need an oem exhaust running the kline w cats. it will pass. you *might* not even need to flash back to stock.

if you have the catalyst ready? thats the toughest one as the cats have to be fully "heated" to register. the 02 sensors must of course be good ( why i swapped the pre's the other day ). CA is just becoming more and more bizarre. we can't pass smog with one "monitor" "not ready" yet people can **** on the streets of SF.

actually, the one that they dont care about and will let slide is the EVAP, and thats the only one ( it was two a couple years ago ). they just assume it's a bad gas cap lol.

but with the cobb "loader" its a push of a button. i'm not gonna deal with this nonsense again lol.
good to know- yes I have the 200cel cats and all my readiness monitors are good including secondary cats. Passed smog here in OR- ironically it was a very quick visually than OBD2. No sniff! I look forward to installing the bypass pipes to try a different note- after a 92db Laguna day though!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by etchhead
good to know- yes I have the 200cel cats and all my readiness monitors are good including secondary cats. Passed smog here in OR- ironically it was a very quick visually than OBD2. No sniff! I look forward to installing the bypass pipes to try a different note- after a 92db Laguna day though!
congrats. i passed also recently. after a couple weeks of hassle all related to monitors not how the car runs or "emits".

bear in mind. you'll have some difficulty getting the monitors back to "ready" once you r&r the decats, as i did. how much difficulty depends on your car/ecu and how well the pre and posts are 'registering". but i guess you have a couple years to worry about it

every time i get new tags, i feel like i won the damn lottery ha.

Quick Reply: ALMOST passed smog - SOLVED w/drive cycle procedure