Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on this 996TT!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM
nevrlast16
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on this 996TT!

Hey everyone! I already posted this in the regular 996 forums but it was suggested I put it up here too.

First time poster here and I wanted to present my situation and get opinions on if this is the right car for me! I'll try to keep it brief but I also want to give the details I can about the situation so you understand my dilemma.

I've been looking over these forums and reading as much as I can about the 996 because I have the opportunity to purchase one. I was hoping to get some opinions on the value of this particular offer and if this is the right car for me. My dad is a Porsche owner (944) and talked to his mechanic about my interest in getting my first p-car. I'm a young professional (25) with a good chunk of money I have been putting aside since I started work to purchase a Porsche. I had originally been looking at something like a 2009 Cayman, something in the price range of 40K or slightly more as that would only require a small car loan (5-7k) for me to purchase.

When my dad mentioned this to his mechanic he was told that another customer was trying to get rid of a 2002 996 Turbo, 49k miles, that he had been the mechanic on for the past 6 years. The asking price is right around 38-40k. I don't live near my father anymore but he had the opportunity to test drive the car this morning and says it looks fantastic for its age and drives just as well. He is worried that it is more car then I need as it has an induction mod and a flashed chip and makes about 500hp. Other options include the turbo aerokit, upgraded Carbon/Leather steering wheel, CD Changer and Porsche 220 CDR Radio and Heated seats. (Looked these up off the options tag). Pictures to follow in another post!

I was hoping to get some opinions on this offer (is it a good price for the options it has?) and some opinions on if I should really be going after something this powerful for my first Porsche or should I go back to looking at Caymans?

My biggest worry is that this car could get me in trouble. I have a pretty good driving record (1 speeding ticket and 1 fender bender) but with this much power I'm afraid I could go broke from the tickets or worse, lose control and wreck something I just spent my life savings on. I have no desire to get a Boxster (as some have suggested) but the Caymans do appeal to me.

My dilemma really comes down to is it worth spending the same amount of money on a newer Cayman because it might save me money in the form of repairs, tickets, possible accidents, etc.. or should i just bite the bullet and run with the turbo? With it being just me I don't normally have an issue throwing about 1k in the bank each month, do you all feel this would be enough to easily perform most of the required maintenance and upkeep I might expect on a car like this?

Also, anyone have any input on if the aerokit, which apparently lowers the car a decent amount, has issues with speedbumps and such? And if so could I potentially get it raised so it would be less of a concern?

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to read this, sorry its kind of long!

P.S. Notes that came up in the other post:
1) I have no interest in Boxsters, Cayman or better!
2) The insurance difference between the Cayman and the Turbo is $5, $1 for a Cayman S
3) No wife or kids, so all my extra money is for my toys/this car
4) a DFI 09+ Cayman is running about 42k and an S is about 48k, both more expensive then the Turbo, does that extra money help justify the older turbo?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM
nevrlast16
Track Day

Pictures, as promised!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were my son, which you are not, I would advise you to ease into it. Although these cars are quite reliable, they do break and a modded car will by definition put more stress on the components. They are engineered to take it, but it will wear things out quicker if you have a heavy foot. When something breaks it is not cheap. Also maintenance should be budgeted at 400-500/ month. I Jsut had my 60k service and it was $1800. You should plan to go through rear tire every 10k miles, and fronts every 20.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Well Never, you are posting on a 996 Turbo board, do you really expect us to tell you to buy a Caymen?

I think it is good that you are thinking about this logically- the Turbo is a much faster car and it does have enough power that you have to drive it in a respectful and intentional manner. When you nail the gas pedal, you better be aimed where you want to go or you will run over something.

I have never driven a Caymen, from what I have read it is a great driving car. I have owned 4 Porsches and I loved every one of them.

From a financial standpoint, your depreciation loss will be greater with the newer Caymen. The Turbo is further down the depreciation curve.

My vote is Turbo- Surprise. The boost is addictive.

But SSST's advice is more practical.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the cost of the car that will be an issue it's maintenance and consumables including fuel. Not to mention insurance etc. get a nice non turbo car, get to know it, track it a few times, see if you love it and can afford it - nothing worst than having to work to maintain a car. You have plenty of time to get in a turbo in the future and there will always be one to buy.
Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

that car assuming nothing detrimental or obviously wrong is found is easily worth $38-40k. the turbo car will get you more car for your money then nearly any other by comparison. no wife/kids.. all the more reason to get it now, before a potential future wife asks you to spend the money elsewhere. the only problem i see, is it has a grey interior. but at 38k, and you have a mechanics word on the maintenance of the car? you can not go wrong. also, porsche turbo's may not get you a wife, but it'll certainly help get you la*d. unless you're in SoCal.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I think the $500-$600 per month for maintenance is a little high. Especially as you only do those really expensive maintenances every 30k miles or so. My service costs are about $2,500 to $3,000 per year max (average). that includes the expensive 30k mile service. This average is over 4 years. Agree on the rear tires though and of course if you need new rears and can't find the match for your fronts then you'rr into all 4 tires as you can't mis match front and rear with different manufacturers or even different models within the manufacturer. AT 500hp you're not seriously modded (I've gone to about 575 with no issues). My indie service provider indicated to me that I should stay under 600hp though as he thinks that's where you're pushing reliability (so to speak).

Drive both the Cayman and the 996TT before making your decision to be sure. They really are not comparable vehicles performance wise.

One thing, if you go 996 TT be careful you don't get the "modification" disease. I have and then all bets are off on what you can spend (I've done the HP upgrade mentioned above, Bilstein PSS10's to lower the car, installed the GT2 competition brakes, new Recaro seats, Paddle shifting for the Tip, BBS wheels and on it goes. I can't seem to find a cure for being a "modaholic".

If it were me I'd to the 996 TT again in a heartbeat. I was comparing against a new 997.1S, went for the 996 TT and have never looked back nor wondered about my decision.

John in Vancouver
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
nevrlast16
Track Day

Thanks everyone for all the input, it's greatly appreciated! I've decided to make a trip and go check it out in person this weekend. If I come back a lucky 996TT owner I'll be sure to post some pictures!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I vote the turbo. Do not worry about starting at the top. You could also return the car to stock, or have it retuned. Have a good pre purchase inspection completed. The engine is very robust.

If you are concerned about whether it is to much car for you, invest some money in a driving school. Not one day of school, but maybe as many as four days. The school will show you the skills you need to work on each and every time you drive a vehicle.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

My sons rarely listen to me either. Actually they do sometimes, but not when they really want something. Of course I also tell them it's best to make their expensive mistakes while they are young.

If you get the TT, you will love it. Just go into it with your eyes open.

Just ease into the power and try not to kill yourself. You're Dad would want me to say that.

Last edited by SSST; 07-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do it. At your age I transitioned from a 944 to a Boxster S and only last year got the 996TT. I should have done it earlier. Great car and I DD it. (well about 60% of the time)
Great car but I am not a fan of the light interior on a silver car but you are getting a 10 year old car so you don't get to "check the boxes" at the dealer.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrlast16

Also, anyone have any input on if the aerokit, which apparently lowers the car a decent amount, has issues with speedbumps and such? And if so could I potentially get it raised so it would be less of a concern?
Aero kit doesn't lower the car. Car pictured has some sort of modified suspension.

Turbo is a great car that can get one into trouble fast.

Get a good inspection before you buy. Some basic repairs may be costly.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow..that car looks great.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
nevrlast16
Track Day

So I have been doing some research on the mods that have already been performed. It appears they had an EVOM package deal put on it that upgraded the ECU, the MAF, and Intake. Anyone have any thoughts on this particular package and its reliability?

Link(Scroll down to the 996TT Page, its the 2nd Package): http://evomsit.com/Porsche_MAIN_TURBO_App_Guide.htm
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

You can always get out of the turbo if it does not work out for you in a year or so. You'll likely take a larger depreciation hit on the Cayman. I say if you have the opportunity - do it. Pretty nice knowing that a trusted mechanic has worked on it for the last 6 years. Always have @$2k on hand for maint. and you should be good (no guarantees with ANY car)
Enjoy your toys before you get married and have to sell your soul.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on this 996TT!