Sponsored by:

Market Prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
nickm347
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Market Prices

I've been lurking here for a little while, reading up on 996 Turbos. I've been checking the U.S. market for the past few weeks, and anywhere from 40-50 seems to be the going rate for 01-03 non x50 turbos, depending on mileage, condition, etc.

This place seems to be one of the better 996 Turbo forums, so I have a question on the market prices for the experts.
I'm curious if this is the "bottom" of the market for the 996TT. Even at $50k, this car seems to be a bargain.

I currently am looking to sell my 964 to get a 996TT. The market for 964s appears to have hit the bottom, maybe last year. I would be willing to keep the 964 for a year, as I could either sell it for more, or sell it quicker, and maybe get a 996TT for a bit less. If the 996TT market is at the bottom, then I'll sell the 964 now and just buy it.

I make decisions based on numbers using my head. Buying a Porsche Turbo is better bought with the heart, I think.

Is this a stupid idea? Any thoughts on the market? Maybe its seasonal?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I have no idea where the bottom will be; it seems like lots of owners are intent on giving their cars away.

If you want a Turbo, decide what the top of your budget is, and look for a car that represents what you really like and buy it. If it's at the top of your budget, so be it.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i think these cars are well off their lows. having said that, there was a recent thread by a guy who firesaling(?) his 02 ( think it was ) for $35K! that my not be a representative sample, but they can certainly be had WELL under $50k for a still clean example. good luck with your search.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say depending on condition and mileage, a really nice 01 would be high 30's to low 40's, and a really nice 04 would be upper 40's. other years somewhere in between.

Of course there are a ton of variables that might make any individual car worth a little more or a little less to a particular buyer. For example I would pay a little more for sport techno or GT3 wheels..
Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nickm347
I've been lurking here for a little while, reading up on 996 Turbos. I've been checking the U.S. market for the past few weeks, and anywhere from 40-50 seems to be the going rate for 01-03 non x50 turbos, depending on mileage, condition, etc.

This place seems to be one of the better 996 Turbo forums, so I have a question on the market prices for the experts.
I'm curious if this is the "bottom" of the market for the 996TT. Even at $50k, this car seems to be a bargain.

I currently am looking to sell my 964 to get a 996TT. The market for 964s appears to have hit the bottom, maybe last year. I would be willing to keep the 964 for a year, as I could either sell it for more, or sell it quicker, and maybe get a 996TT for a bit less. If the 996TT market is at the bottom, then I'll sell the 964 now and just buy it.

I make decisions based on numbers using my head. Buying a Porsche Turbo is better bought with the heart, I think.

Buy with your head or your heart, whatever you have had the best luck with in the past.

There is some science to justify in one going with one's gut feeling.

Dock said it well.

I can only add my two cents' worth:

Essentially you are asking if anyone here can foresee the future, if anyone has a crystal ball that can see into the future.

If I had a crystal ball, while I would be willing to help you, it would after I made a stinking big pile of money with my crystal ball.

Prices of these cars along with most other consumer items rises and falls due to various factors.

If the economy improves the Turbo car market may improve, prices may go up. People feel better, have more money to spend, etc.

Or the Turbo market could remain flat or even go down as people might decide they prefer a newer used car or even a new car.

Flip a coin.

Or a falling economy could have prices rising as the 996 Turbo might be seen as the super car bargain for the ages.

Or a falling economy could make people pull back from any purchases and even cause owners to unload the Turbos to take money and put it to work elsewhere.

Flip a coin.

I mean no one needs a Turbo. These cars exist only because people want one and can afford one in addition to more critical things.

Decide upon what you; color/options, miles, etc. Find the best car you can find and can afford.

Give the car a thorough test ride/drive, used car inspection/checkout, and then a PPI.

If the candidate car passes your muster, buy the car.

Take care of it.

Drive it.

Enjoy it.

None of the above requires a crystal ball.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you but have been watching 996 turbo prices for a good year and a half and it looks like these cars are close to the bottom. It seems people are asking more for their cars this year than last year though. However, the people who are asking more have been sitting on them all summer. I just got off the phone with a X50 seller who was willing to let his go for 50k 27k miles but by talking with him the miles did not match the condition. Car needed new tires, windshield, and front spoiler. He also only owned the car for 4months which tells me he is a flipper or just shuffles car a lot. Either way 40-50k seems to be the market and anything over 50k seems to be sitting a while . IMO I would much rather have a clean 01 than a beat up 03 X50 if the prices were the same. Seems majority of the people I talk to with x50's, think they are super collectable and command a 10k price increase over the base but market condition seems to say otherwise. Don't forget a simple ECU flash will put you at more than X50 power on a non X50 equipped car. Good Luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Based on what I found 3 months ago I would say you can find a nice 2001 "basic" turbo for $40K with a solid PPI needing nothing major and you can go as high as $58K for a 2004 Turbo with every option available at the time and CPO by Porsche (don't ask me how I know). The X50 appears to be fairly common based on the number for sale that have this option. I believe the X50 adds $2 to $3K realistically but wouldn't pass on a nice car if it didn't have this option. I would be more concerned with the car having the color exterior/interior and options (manual tranny, mods) you want and in really solid mechanical shape.

These cars are not investments by any stretch but are a phenomenal value for the performance you get out of the box. Buy something that makes you want to go look at it in the garage at night and glance back at it every time you park somewhere. The best thing you can do is buy it, drive it and get your money's worth by enjoying the experiences you can have with a car like this.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
SSST
Drifting

^ that's some really good advice.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I bought my 03 996TT non X50 with 23000 miles last year for 50k and sold it last week for 47k with 30000 miles. It took all of 2 days to sell. I probably could've sold it for 50k or more if I gave it some time, but I haven't driven the car since April and rather have someone own and drive the car instead over the summer.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

just purchased an 01, unmolested, 32K miles, very low 40s. Been looking for the right car for months. will post details when I get pics
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

when you find what you want buy it. drive it, enjoy it. the prices have moved significantly lower and now for a well cared for example 40-60 k is the range. my 03 X50 was 60k, 6600 miles, i'm happy. In Canada prices ranged from 60- 75k for cars with substantially more mileage. I think i could get what i paid now and in 3 years from now because of the mileage and because there were very few x50's sold in Canada. I may put on 3k per year. If i'm wrong about the values, i could care less, as i'm having fun with the car. Life is short, enjoy it.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

I chose to find a car that had already gone through the majority normal maintenance gremlins and with reasonable mods such as suspension, GT2 slave accumulator, exhaust, chip, etc. (I knew that I would never pay for all the mods I wanted myself or get them installed in a timely manner). Mileage was not really an issue for me based on the reliability of the car if maintained well. In fact, a little higher mileage can help keep purchase price lower. The trick was finding something that was in-line with my mod perspective...many are 'frankensteined' using bits and pieces that don't seem to work too well together (IMO).
I talked to a few sellers who had low mileage cars, no mods for sale with virtually zero maintenance done, they were asking top dollar. To me, these examples would require significant maintenance (a 10 year old car with little maintenance - think about it) and investment, especially if wanting to mod. Maybe to someone else - this is desirable...

In the end, it really depends on your goals and cost expectations - pay upfront or post sale, either way you will pay - and there are never any guarantees...what scenario is in line with your goals?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=nickm347;9675037]I've been lurking here for a little while, reading up on 996 Turbos. I've been checking the U.S. market for the past few weeks, and anywhere from 40-50 seems to be the going rate for 01-03 non x50 turbos, depending on mileage, condition, etc.

/QUOTE]

I dont know if the market is bottoming out or anything, but what I did was decide that I wanted a turbo and searched far and wide with the ultimate patience until I found the right one. I was looking for about 6 months casually, then the last 6 months more seriously. I was ready to make a move as soon as the right car came up. I was particular in my criteria and stuck to my guns and found the right one. I have an 01 blk/blk, 24k mi, sport seats, pss9, and leather everything. When I say everything, I mean even the vent covers and radio surround. I wanted something that was well maintained and fully documented and was willing to wait as long as it took. If you are interested in one and can be patient and find the right one, there are plenty out there. Just be patient, you dont want to get one with any stories.

The previous owner of my 996tt didnt drive it much, but he was very meticulous on preventative maintence and had the records to prove it. These are fantastic cars, and surely one of my dream cars. Plenty out there, take your time and you will find a sweet one.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Global Autosports
Banned

Here are some listings we have, this might help:

2002 Porsche 911 Turbo for Sale in Las Vegas, NV 89134

2002 Porsche 911 Turbo for Sale in Bordentown, NJ 08505

2001 Porsche 911 Turbo for Sale in Houston, TX 77024

2002 Porsche 911 Turbo for Sale in Dublin, OH 43017
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you vouch for any of these cars, or are you just advertising for these sellers??????

Quick Reply: Market Prices