Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   Airbag Warning (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/704453-airbag-warning.html)

SiFi1886 06-30-2012 08:57 PM

Airbag Warning

So I've had the airbag light on since I first got in the car, the PPI report said it was most likely the seat belts, so I purchased all the parts. I'm wondering if anybody here has done this fix and can offer me any advice or point in the direction of a right up. Thanks in advance.

timmhaines 06-30-2012 10:35 PM

disconnect battery ground first, download shop manual read instructions, follow them. best suggestion
I have right now.

Sanyman 06-30-2012 11:24 PM

I had the same thing happen. My Indy reset the light and asked me if I drive without the seatbelt on. I do.. He told me the car senses that and will disengage the airbag so that it doesn't go off with the seatbelt not on. I started wearing my seatbelt and the light has not come back on. I bet if you do the same. Have it turned off and wear the seatbelt, you wont see the airbag light come back on. I didn't.

"02996ttx50 07-01-2012 01:10 AM

i think what they meant by "probably seat belt(s) is that there's a known issue with the connections inside the buckle that can be cleaned with some kind of electrical contact cleaner, or bettter yet... replaced.

it's usually just one belt buckle receptacle that goes bad but also the wiring harness( iirc?) has been known to be problematic as well. point is, that's *usually* the cause of the airbag light being lit, absent other issues. i don't know what parts you've picked up, but a drivers side buckle ( cheap @ suncoast ) fixed it for me in my previous 996t. best thing to do is read the code, it'll ( should ) tell you which side is faulting. good luck. as to a write up. if you're a diy'r you can replace the buckle, but ya gotta get the seat out i think? if not, should be a one hour job at a shop.

SiFi1886 07-01-2012 01:59 AM

I picked up drivers and passengers side buckles and harnesses. i'm going to swap them out tomorrow, i'm hoping its straight forward.

Angelus 07-01-2012 05:34 AM

Once you've swapped them, you'll still need someone with a Durametric to re-set the light for you. If there is no write up, take pictures and do one for us. :)

"02996ttx50 07-01-2012 11:08 AM

i would've waited to find which side was bad! but ok, ya got all the parts. should a be pretty straightforward swap. to angelus' point. forgot about the airbag light reset. unfortunately most code readers like the one i got for 75 bucks won't allow airbag errors to be switched off. i guess a durametirc will? or perhaps you'll need the actual piwis tester. i dont have a durametric so don't know what it can/can't do.

adam_ 07-01-2012 02:16 PM

I'd first clean the contacts, reset the light and see what happens. BEFORE spending $500 on parts! Especially based on a "probably".

I get an occasional seat belt SRS code on an acura MDX with 245,000 miles. Sprayed some contact cleaner into the latch...Good for now.

A

SiFi1886 07-01-2012 02:34 PM

Lee I will do a write up with pics, maybe not today now as I'm in the middle of trying to fix the dishwasher and there is the Euro final to watch, lots of beer to be drunk as its Canada day:biggulp::biggulp:, so it may have to wait until next weekend.

Land Jet 07-02-2012 07:16 AM

I've had the airbag light forever. Changed the seat belt buckles to no avail. Had my tech do a test and it said the airbag itself is bad.

raineycd 07-06-2012 12:04 AM

You should be able to read the codes and find out more detail. I had a battle with the airbag light and ended up being the main module and both front belt pre-tensioners. But it was all spelled out in the diag codes... $1800 later and no airbag light.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ar-faults.html