Sponsored by:

Sticky Knob Redux

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I wonderer what causes this. My ***** are pushing 9 years old and there is no stickiness.
+1 and my car spent the first 8 years of its life in Southern Cal with the last 2 in sunny and moderate Ohio
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
+1 and my car spent the first 8 years of its life in Southern Cal with the last 2 in sunny and moderate Ohio
As I posted earlier, mine are like brand new and they are over 11 years old.

The only two things that I can offer are that my Turbo has never been exposed to long periods of high ambient temperatures (and the resulting high interior temperatures that happen if the car is not being cooled down inside via the A/C), and I don't use any kind of solvents (cleaners) on the *****.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
As I posted earlier, mine are like brand new and they are over 11 years old.

The only two things that I can offer are that my Turbo has never been exposed to long periods of high ambient temperatures (and the resulting high interior temperatures that happen if the car is not being cooled down inside via the A/C), and I don't use any kind of solvents (cleaners) on the *****.
I was thinking the latter. I don't dress or clean the plastic bits with anything. Just a damp rag to get the dust off.

Mine also lives indoors when it's not being driven.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Just a damp rag to get the dust off.
Same.

I can also add that I don't actually touch any of the ***** very often (rarely actually). Oil from the fingers can obviously be picked up by anything one touches. I wonder, for those with problems with their radio ****(s), if it's the radio volume **** that is more commonly affected (turning the radio on/off and volume control receiving a higher frequency of "touch" than the station control ****)?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem on my new (to me) MY05 997 and have been looking all over for a DIY. Here is one that I believe will work that I found elsewhere on Rennlist:
Fix Sticky Radio Buttons

I think the photos above don't show any particular abuse -- a couple of ***** in my (admittedly preowned) car look like that too.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually cleaned my ***** with 91% alcohol that you can get in any pharmacy. No more sticky and they appear as original.

Quick Reply: Sticky Knob Redux