Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Malibu New Years canyon run. Beautiful day but sad to see so much devastation from the fires. Roads are a mess tons of road debris. It’s going to be awhile for the clean up.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 AM
NineNine6TT
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Walked amongst the parts

Not so much what I did But what my Indy did to the 996tt.
Getting a new clutch and a few “while you are in there” stuff. So much ancillary (billable) effort to replace a clutch..

Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 996TT is in hibernation, but I found these gray inner door sills on -bay covered in leather and needed to have them. I know gray is not everyone's cup of tea, but other than cinnamon brown it's my favorite on the 996.
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll take some more downforce please

Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 PM
zachxlutz
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@Scawt Tell me more about this mod! Are you going for GT2 style radiator venting?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zachxlutz
@Scawt Tell me more about this mod! Are you going for GT2 style radiator venting?
Yep, GT2 ducting and radiator. I got the idea and template from this old thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...tor-slots.html

Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM
zachxlutz
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
Yep, GT2 ducting and radiator. I got the idea and template from this old thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...tor-slots.html
Very cool. I just spent some time reading through that. I'm contemplating buying a used bumper that doesn't have the warts to replace mine and this mod would look great and provide some added temp/aero benefit. All for cheaper than buying a GT2 front bumper. I could take the savings and pick up a joe toth spoiler to round it out... hmmmmmm
Old 01-08-2019, 03:49 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Sweet! I like that it's not a GT2 clone (our cars are bad *** enough, we don't need to pretend they are GT2's when they're not).
Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
...our cars are bad *** enough, we don't need to pretend they are GT2's when they're not...
^This.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:03 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
I'll take some more downforce please

Love it!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

After almost 3 months I could drive it. I cycled the rear spoiler to keep it working and forgot it in the up position overnight. Next day the left side lowered but the right didn't and there was a noticeable leak from the motor area. So I removed the whole system bled and refilled. Now all is good. Guess I'm getting good at it. It only took me about 1 hour. I also noticed the coolant is low. Guess it's the same as before leaking radiator. I changed the right 2 years ago so guess it's time for the left.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=Scawt;15550380]I'll take some more downforce please
[/E]

Not to rain on your parade, and perhaps you really don't care about functionality, but have you done any aerodynamic testing of the mod you are doing? It is one thing to cut holes in the front bumper it is another thing to get the air to be directed as it is with the GT2 bumper. The GT2 has specifically designed slats in the openings...I suppose those have a function?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Not to rain on your parade, and perhaps you really don't care about functionality, but have you done any aerodynamic testing of the mod you are doing? It is one thing to cut holes in the front bumper it is another thing to get the air to be directed as it is with the GT2 bumper. The GT2 has specifically designed slats in the openings...I suppose those have a function?
This isn't rocket science. Both the 996Cup and 996GT3RS simply vent the center radiator up over the hood in this EXACT same fashion without any behind the bumper ducting (ala GT2), they simply have the center radiator canted forward. In both those applications the bumper is sealed at the bottom (as Scott will be doing) to prevent any air from flowing under the car, instead flowing up an over the hood. The center duct used on the GT2 behind the center radiator does make the airflow through the bumper smoother likely improving the cooling efficiency of the center radiator but again, it's not rocket science as the main goal is to eliminate the air from being diverted under the car (as is done on the 996TT) which results in unwanted front axle lift. The GT2 duct (which Scott may be installing based on his post) will smooth the airflow and the GT2 slats (which he is not installing) will provide a low pressure area above the opening in the top of the bumper helping to pull the air through the bumper. In any case, what Scott is doing is a proven mod done by both Porsche Motorsport and others...

If I was running a 996TT with a larger rear wing, I would absolutely positively do this very same mod to create more downforce in the front.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Went to the track...

Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
This isn't rocket science. Both the 996Cup and 996GT3RS simply vent the center radiator up over the hood in this EXACT same fashion without any behind the bumper ducting (ala GT2), they simply have the center radiator canted forward. In both those applications the bumper is sealed at the bottom (as Scott will be doing) to prevent any air from flowing under the car, instead flowing up an over the hood. The center duct used on the GT2 behind the center radiator does make the airflow through the bumper smoother likely improving the cooling efficiency of the center radiator but again, it's not rocket science as the main goal is to eliminate the air from being diverted under the car (as is done on the 996TT) which results in unwanted front axle lift. The GT2 duct (which Scott may be installing based on his post) will smooth the airflow and the GT2 slats (which he is not installing) will provide a low pressure area above the opening in the top of the bumper helping to pull the air through the bumper. In any case, what Scott is doing is a proven mod done by both Porsche Motorsport and others...

If I was running a 996TT with a larger rear wing, I would absolutely positively do this very same mod to create more downforce in the front.

Thanks for your explanation...not sure why you're so hung up with rocket science...nothing wrong with science. The thing about science is you develop hypotheses and test them with data. Doesn't matter whether you are applying this to the aerodynamics of rocket flight or an automobile. That is all I was suggesting. If this is so obvious why doesn't this come standard? I know, because they (Porsche, et. al.) are continually experimenting on how to get the best performance/cost benefit...each iteration over the years has attempted to improve and my bet is it will continue...Please don't be offended by my suggestion to test the effects of the mods.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?