996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 PM
sirhensley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did I do to my 996 today? I blew something in my coolant system while driving "spiritedly" alongside a pretty fast motorcycle. I had to get a tow to a local shop after losing my coolant and am waiting a few days for them to get back to me with details. I would like to get some advise on what else I can and should do if the engine needs to come out. I want to consider some preventative work along with performance mods and am wondering which is the better place to post a new thread for this? Should I post in the 996 Turbo forum, or in the Perf Mods forum?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by sirhensley
What did I do to my 996 today? I blew something in my coolant system while driving "spiritedly" alongside a pretty fast motorcycle. I had to get a tow to a local shop after losing my coolant and am waiting a few days for them to get back to me with details. I would like to get some advise on what else I can and should do if the engine needs to come out. I want to consider some preventative work along with performance mods and am wondering which is the better place to post a new thread for this? Should I post in the 996 Turbo forum, or in the Perf Mods forum?

Thanks.
sounds like one of the 8 coolant fitting failures that are known to happen.. depending on which one, it could be fixable with the engine in, but it's best to just pull it out and pin or weld all of the fittings.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
sounds like one of the 8 coolant fitting failures that are known to happen..
Yup.

What kind of service bills have owners had for a preventative or faiure driven "Drop engine, Weld (or pin) fittings, Install engine"? i've heard all kinds of prices thrown around.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,840 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by sirhensley

Thanks.
Oh, I had that problem - I was fortunate in that it was the right rear coolant line, however, it was an eye opener and this off season, the engine is coming out, all hoses will be replaced and the cooling system will be pinned. Hopefully, it's a line that can easily be gotten at...
Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM
sirhensley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
sounds like one of the 8 coolant fitting failures that are known to happen.. depending on which one, it could be fixable with the engine in, but it's best to just pull it out and pin or weld all of the fittings.
Ya, I was assuming it was this issue as the lines have definitely not been pinned or welded. I am wondering what forum is the better place to start a discussion on other changes I should make if the engine has to come out. I want to discuss regular maintenance as well as performance mod suggestions to do while it is out. Being new to the site, I do not know which room will provide better feedback (this room or the perf mod room).

thanks again
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I think you're in the right place.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:54 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I saw a link somewhere - can't find it now - to a company in CA that knurls the inserts for an interference fit and epoxies them into the housings (just found it on YouTube:
). That and welding seem like the way to go. Pinning is fine, but the adhesive used by the factory can still erode and cause seepage, it seems to me.

I'll defer to people who have gone through the process.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I saw a link somewhere - can't find it now - to a company in CA that knurls the inserts for an interference fit and epoxies them into the housings (just found it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/WIl2-vBAnvk ). That and welding seem like the way to go. Pinning is fine, but the adhesive used by the factory can still erode and cause seepage, it seems to me.

Sharkworks, I think.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I saw a link somewhere - can't find it now - to a company in CA that knurls the inserts for an interference fit and epoxies them into the housings (just found it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/WIl2-vBAnvk ). That and welding seem like the way to go. Pinning is fine, but the adhesive used by the factory can still erode and cause seepage, it seems to me.

Sharkwerks
Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

One of the first Turbos I looked at was purchased new and the owner promptly entered it and himself in the Cannonball One Lap of America...

He blew a coolant pipe on one of the track sessions, likely one of the first few failures of that type.

A dealer near the track did a 'quick fix' just jb-welding the coolant pipe back in, and the car finished the rest of the one lap event and another 50K+ miles over many years without any future problems....

No knurling, no pinning, no welding, no engine drop, just glued it back in.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:21 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell

Sharkworks, I think.
It's All German Auto in Escondido.

Sharkwerks recommends pinning.

I like the knurled approach, but since some clubs require welding or pinning to get on the track, I'll probably pin when the time comes.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

I plan on jb weld and pinning mine
Old 08-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Traded it in along with two other cars.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What did you get on trade?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Another day without the Turbo. Needed a small oil line (original was discovered to have turned hard during turbocharger replacement) and the part was shipped from Germany & siezed by US Customs. They have had it now for over 10 days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?