Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Macster (as well as others) What's the reliability of a modded turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PM sent
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is his story as to why he is selling it after only 5k miles?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 PM
82_930
Pro

Originally Posted by Letmebegus
What is his story as to why he is selling it after only 5k miles?
He says he needs the money.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
reubenk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Thanks to everyone for all your input, and for the clutch advice, Macster... I tried to find out from the seller about the mods, apparently he bought the car 5,000 miles ago from the original owner and does not know who the shop was that installed everything other than it was in Atlanta, Ga...

the car is guards red and was originally from Atlanta if anyone knows of it.

I will be sure to closely inspect this car further...
not my car but the mod list sounds a lot like an old car of mine.
call motorwerks racing in cumming GA (atlanta suburb) and see if they know it. they used that combo of stuff very effectively a number of years ago. if it was them the 650 claim is legit (they will have dyno sheets) and the clutch has definitely been replaced. also very reliable. that being said, I would still want a good shop nearby and a good relationship with them.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That kinda HP could be taxing the standard transmission. If it had the GT2 trans then it should be no issue. The GT2 trans is beefier, has internal oiling stup for cooling, and steel synchros.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
That kinda HP could be taxing the standard transmission. If it had the GT2 trans then it should be no issue. The GT2 trans is beefier, has internal oiling stup for cooling, and steel synchros.
Say what?

Yes, GT2 tranny is marginally better (steel synchros)- but there is ZERO data that this power can damage the stock tranny. Yes you say "could" and "should" so you cannot be pinned down, but the gist is that you are bringing up nonsense. Likely another excellence article?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Thanks to everyone for all your input, and for the clutch advice, Macster... I tried to find out from the seller about the mods, apparently he bought the car 5,000 miles ago from the original owner and does not know who the shop was that installed everything other than it was in Atlanta, Ga...

the car is guards red and was originally from Atlanta if anyone knows of it.

I will be sure to closely inspect this car further...
A CarFax report might have the shop that did the mod's listed.

Or call some dealers in the area and see if anyone remembers the car. Often the Porsche techs know of various cars that are hot-rodded and know where the work was done or can give you a pretty good idea.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
82_930
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I know the car has the X50 package, I am not sure what is included with that other than larger turbo's... but I read someplace that the X50 also had the steel synchro's.

does anyone have any input on this?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget; 650bhp > stress and bills on the running gear - gearbox, front diff, drive shafts... Have some $$$ set aside for "maintenance".
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Adam, first off the GT2 is not just maginally better. If you did your homework, you would know that the GT2 trans has a trans oil cooler, internal spray rails for better oiling, steel synchros, and gears on the input shaft are not pressed on. With that said, why do you think with the increase in HP that Porsche provided an upgraded trans. Don't you think if they felt the 996tt trans could take the additonal torque and HP I doubt they would have made the ugrade. Keep in mind if one states 650HP that is at the wheels, So in reality you are talking 765 shaft HP, 15% loss at the wheels, Sent an EMAIL to a Porsche trans specialty race shop yesterday. They are in agreement that this type of power without knowing the torque output could be taxing the 996tt trans. They suggested they had a way to upgrade the internals of the standard trans to accomodate, rather than spend a lot on a GT2 trans. It was confirned that the GT was better equipped to handle this power better.
Since you have nothing to back up your comment, I suggest you do some homework, before you try and contradict something that has been discussed with the pros. Using Excelence in your comment just shows the context of your thought process.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam_
Say what?

Yes, GT2 tranny is marginally better (steel synchros)- but there is ZERO data that this power can damage the stock tranny. Yes you say "could" and "should" so you cannot be pinned down, but the gist is that you are bringing up nonsense. Likely another excellence article?
I have S, 530bhp crank (nowhere near 650!). Just had my tranny main shaft bearing and synchros replaced - first syncro was slightly worn, rest was preventative measure as I was in there. The rest of the tranny was fine, (steel syncros on a GT2 is supposed to be a myth, will confirm once my friend's GT2 tranny goes). So, yes tranny once car is modified is under increased load = no brainer, the main weak point being main shaft bearing. Easy fix but pain in the **** job - tranny out! Budget 3K$ at an indie.

Quick Reply: Paging Macster (as well as others) What's the reliability of a modded turbo?