Very small leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Very small leak

Hi everyone!

First,I'd like to thank all members for the support I've received whenever I needed it!
After reading quite a lot on the slave/accumulator issue with these cars(here,on 6speedonline or renntech),I've realized(I think) that I do not have this problem with my car,so that is why I've decided to post.

1) I do have a very small Pentosin leak(I believe) coming from the top of the power steering reservoir. There is a small black plastic cap(as you will see in the pictures) that can be easily removed by just pulling it out. I'm 100% sure it's coming from there,because my engine is so clean and looks new(still smells like new) that you can clearly see. It looks like some sort of air bleeder,because when I pulled it out after having the car sit overnight,a lot of air came out and then it stopped.
Why is this leaking?
Also you can see it dripped on a hose making it very sticky and hard to clean.
My Pentosin level in the reservoir is normal.
Also the trunk driver side reservoir looks brand new,not a single drop.
I also did the clutch accumulator test,after running the engine for 20 s,I depressed the clutch 15 times and the pedal became harder,not even close to the 35 times mark.
My power steering makes a little whining noise whenever I have the wheels all the way to one side and in gear. If I put it in neutral and release the clutch with the wheels all the way to one side the whining gets a little quieter.

2)My car has 18K miles,never tracked,garage queen,sits under the nice cover in a heated garage. No mods either,except a 997 SSK.
It still has CPO warranty for about a week,so I've decided to take it in to my local dealer before that expires and check it. I want to ask them to see if there're any issues at all that can be fixed under CPO. They said they're ok with that.
What should I ask them to look for/do(if any) before my CPO expires?
BTW,I just found my DME report from when I've purchased it : 102 revs in range 2. I guess not bad considering what I've seen floating around...

I'm considering selling it soon to go for a 997.2 GT3,maybe RS,GTS or 991 S,but I might just keep it also,I simply love it! I know if I end up selling it I'll miss all the good people here.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Last edited by neanicu; 03-31-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad. It uses the PS pump as an assist. Replace the slave clutch cylinder and accumulator together.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad. It uses the PS pump as an assist. Replace the slave clutch cylinder and accumulator together.
Thanks.
How come there's no overflowing in the front like I've seen in all cases?
Do you think the dealer will agree and change it under CPO or they'll say it's fine,the leak is too minor(Just guessing here...I don't expect you to know exactly what they"ll say...)?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

leak is too minor
No such thing as a "minor" Pentosin leak. It is highly corrosive and flammable.

Tom
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks.
How come there's no overflowing in the front like I've seen in all cases?
Do you think the dealer will agree and change it under CPO or they'll say it's fine,the leak is too minor(Just guessing here...I don't expect you to know exactly what they"ll say...)?

Shortly after my 03 Turbo (CPO covered car) manifested the symptoms of a non-functioning accumulator some fluid stains appeared on the top surface of the plastic panel/cover over the clutch reservoir.

When I mentioned the stains the tech told me the clutch slave cylinder was bad and needed to be replaced.

Along with the accumulator the slave cylinder was replaced and all under CPO warranty.

Just a heads up. Be sure you do not hear a high pitched whistle or squeal. This comes from a bad valve at the power steering pump reservoir. The noise is not loud at least in my car and has been absent during the cooler winter months. Now that the weather is milder it has started appearing after the car/drivetrain is fully up to temperature and when I come to a stop.

The valve is not sold separately but comes with the a new power steering reservoir. While the labor to replace this is not that much the new tank with the new valve is over $1000.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Macster!
Is this the TSB Porsche had for these cars,that could cause a fire?(I mean the power steering reservoir leaking that could cause a fire)
Also,do you think they'll do my slave/accumulator and power steering reservoir change under CPO?
Again,my trunk driver side reservoir is NOT leaking and looks clean. Also I did the accumulator test and it passed.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Savetheclutch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this the correct oem part number guys? sorry to thread jack 996.116.237.52
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks Macster!
Is this the TSB Porsche had for these cars,that could cause a fire?(I mean the power steering reservoir leaking that could cause a fire)
Also,do you think they'll do my slave/accumulator and power steering reservoir change under CPO?
Again,my trunk driver side reservoir is NOT leaking and looks clean. Also I did the accumulator test and it passed.
About the TSB I know nothing.

If there is a TSB (safety related or not) that applies to your car you need to know. To know you need to speak to your service manager.

Unless the accumulator or slave cylinder or power steering reservoir exhibit the signs of problems: fluid leaks, noise or some failure to operate/perform correctly; the dealer will not replace any of those items.

I'm not sure if the pedal getting hard after 15 clutch pedal depresses is sufficient to warrant a replacement of the accumulator.

IIRC the clutch pedal on my car was hard to depress almost immediately after the engine was shut off. Even while the engine was running while the pedal was not hard to depress I could feel the pedal pulse which the tech told me is a sign the accumulator was bad in that when it works right it dampens this pulsing. (I never felt it before the accum. went bad and after it was replaced the pulsing went away.)

If there is no fluid on the panel that covers the clutch fluid reservoir I'm not aware of anything else (other than outright failure to operate the clutch) that would result in the clutch slave cylinder being replaced. As I mentioned before, it was the presence of a bit of this fluid on the panel that triggered the tech to observe the slave cylinder was bad and needed replacing.

The noise you talk about when the wheels are turned at full lock is the power steering pump working its hardest. It is not a good idea to leave the wheels turned at full lock with the engine running any longer than you have to.

I do not have my Turbo at work today to view its engine area but the details of the leak strongly point to a leak in the power steering area. It may just be a cap that is installed crooked, or one that has a bad o-ring, or something similar, or it could point to a deeper problem with the power steering system. I'm not qualified to say.

You should not have to ask the tech to look at specific things for a soon to expire CPO inspection.

He should know. Briefly, he should look for everything.

There is the power steering, the clutch slave cylinder, the accumulator, but in my car's case even before the slave cylinder/accumulator the shift linkage broke, the 6-speed had a leaking selector shaft seal (transmission was replaced), the radiator cap was leaking, a radiator fan motor shaft snapped, and an idler roller bearing went noisy.

Mainly the tech will get the car in the air and look under/around it for any signs of fluid leaks, torn CV boots, anything.

You know too you can ask what he will look for. Generally I have found it one asks a tech a reasonable question he will take the time to answer it. I avoid asking questions like so how many IMS bearings have you found bad?

But ask him what the inspection consists of. If you have the time, ask him if you can be there and take some pics of the car while it is the air. Bring donuts for the service department. They'll love you to pieces.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Macster!
You are truly like gold to this community. I followed your posts and noticed you do your best to help,even though you mentioned you are not qualified.
Thank you again. I will make sure to post all my inspection results here to help others.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

There is a TSB on steering valve.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JG 996T
There is a TSB on steering valve.
Thanks JG 996T!

I found this thread about it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=81442

I want to ask them to replace the power steering reservoir,since it's leaking,with the upgraded 997 part.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not heard of the PS reservoir leaking where yours is, but it has to be fixed. You can't have Pentosin leaking in your engine bay. It's unsafe
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Update:

The car has been at the dealer. They checked everything.
The leak I thought I have coming from the top of the power steering reservoir is nothing but a release valve for build up gases and condensation from the normal operation of the power steering pump. It's not Pentosin. At least that's what I've been told.
They told me that the car is mint and needs nothing,so at least now that my CPO is gone,I can have a little piece of mind for a while...hopefully...
Also I've installed 4 Michelin PS2's plus alignment. The car handles a million times better now!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

If it isn't Pentosin, what is it?

Quick Reply: Very small leak