Sponsored by:

Door latch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 AM
mcoals
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door latch adjustment

Is a door latch adjustment normal for an 2004 cab with 21k miles? Both doors are off slightly. No accident history or paint (that I know of).
Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My car has 19k miles, '04 Cab. I've had to adjust the drivers door a couple of times to get it to quit rattling over bumps. It looks good, fits good and is quiet now. Had to do my '99 Cab too.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
mcoals
Cruisin'

Thanks Nick! Funny, I had 2 other 996s before and never had a problem. Stepped up to a turbo and I just didn't notice until I detailed. So is this normal with age or does it suggest abuse in the past? And you just adjusted the latch correct?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine always looked like it fit well just would rattle over bumps and if I stuck fingers between the door and lower sill on a rough road I could feel the door move. I think the door may settle in and the weather seal relax a bit and the striker latch may move too. All of this contributes to a door that is not pulled tight enough against the body and may move over rough roads. If the striker loop on the body is not tight enough it will move after being adjusted and your door will rattle again. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoals
Is a door latch adjustment normal for an 2004 cab with 21k miles? Both doors are off slightly. No accident history or paint (that I know of).
These door hinges/latches are supposed to be lubed periodically. This is part of a proper service at a dealership.

If one doesn't have his car serviced at a dealer then where he takes it should do this or the owner should do it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 PM
dakotan2
4th Gear

What kind of lube do you recommend? I feel like I should do this to mine. Thanks!

Luke
Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotan2
What kind of lube do you recommend? I feel like I should do this to mine. Thanks!

Luke
Checked my references and I found nothing recommended.

The doors of my cars are lubed when I take the car in. That is I've never had to lube the door locks/hinges of my Porsches and I've never bothered to ask what the techs use. Next time I'm at a dealer's service department I'll ask though.

For other cars I have used a bicycle chain lube that goes on rather liquid but dries out some so one doesn't get an oil stain down the inside of the door or the body from excess lubrication. A small bottle -- maybe 6 ounces -- of chain lube lasts for years since all it takes is a drop or two per hinge pivot every year or so.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
mcoals
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info guys. But, is it possible for both doors to be off from the factory? I've taken the car to an auto body guy and three mechanics I trust the past two days. All are baffled by the misalignment of both doors and can't find any paint or signs of hinge adjustments, etc. So I'm a little leary to adjust anything if the car was "born" this way. That said, it's really bothering me. Any advice will be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Door latch adjustment