Sponsored by:

fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts
Default fuel economy

Still new to this car, and wondering how others drive and manage fuel economy in the TT, my mileage seems to be all over the place according to the onboard dash computer.

I know the car is meant to be driven pretty hard, but it's using like a quarter tank for 20-30 mile jaunts. That may or may not include a few hard stabs at the gas pedal, and brakes.

tips?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
porscheforfun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy another car if your worried about gas milage these suck it down
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

The fuel tank is also very small, so 2.5 gals or 30ish miles could be about a 1/4 tank
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 AM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you guys know the full capacity of the tank, roughly?

So my estimate is not too far off, I am coming from a 2.8 VR6 where mileage was not stellar, but not like this, but I didn't factor in a smaller fuel tank as well.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

64 liters. 16.9 gallons
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive 15 miles to from work, mixed driving some traffic, open her up when I get a chance. I get 15 mpg, although i've seen over 22 on a long trip.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I get on average 18 mpg, and have hit 26 at 75 on the highway. Considering the power and fun and drivability, think this is pretty reasonable.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

with a tune and hybrid turbos i'm filling up 2x a week and averaging over 1k miles a month. i can't use "fuel" and "economy" in any discussion of my car. fun, on the other hand......
Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
gerhard951
Advanced

03 x50 and the most i ever have gotten is 22mpg on trip to florida and back..car ran 18 straight hours on trip back to NJ.....driving the way it was meant to be driven ...around town 16mpg at best...boo hoo....but its still better that the ol' f 150 and a helluva lot more fun
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gerhard951
03 its still better that the ol' f 150 and a helluva lot more fun
i also had that triton v8 in f150 combo. THAT.. was pain.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
Still new to this car, and wondering how others drive and manage fuel economy in the TT, my mileage seems to be all over the place according to the onboard dash computer.

I know the car is meant to be driven pretty hard, but it's using like a quarter tank for 20-30 mile jaunts. That may or may not include a few hard stabs at the gas pedal, and brakes.

tips?
Well, the car can be driven hard, but of course at the expense of gas mileage, at least this is often the first thing the driver notices. Tire life maybe comes in second. Or the blue/red flashing lights in the rear view mirror.

Just to give you an idea of how fuel economy can be affected by hard acceleration, my 06 GTO (6.0l 400hp, 400ftlbs torque) had instanaeous fuel consumption and under even moderately hard acceleration the fuel economy would drop into the single digits, and under hard acceleration would drop to the 5mpg range. Since the Turbo puts out a bit more hp and torque I suspect the numbers are a bit worse for the Turbo.

You can drive your Turbo hard, drive it anyway you like, but drive the car hard and you're going to pay for it in gas mileage.

Best tip I can offer you regarding gas mileage is to stay off the gas. No need to drive the thing like a little old lady or man but learn to avoid driving the car in a manner that causes the engine to make boost. Use the boost gage display to help you learn when boost is being made. Avoid running the engine at too high an rpm. I do not treat the engine like a tractor and drive it around just above idle, but I do whenever possible try to limit rpms to 3K or so with steady speed cruising a bit lower, but not too low.

Be sure the tires are properly inflated. Remove any junk from the car. Unneccesary junk just adds weight. (Types an owner who's carrying around nearly 12 quarts of oil in his Turbo's front trunk...sigh.)

If tire wear is uneven have the car aligned. Mis-alignment not only increases tire wear but this obvious friction negatively affects gas mileage. Every bit helps.

I enjoy my Turbo but manage to get between 19mpg and 21mpg out of given my usage. To help in this I try to avoid using the car for short trips unless I need to. My Boxster serves as my short trip car.

On the open highway the Turbo's gas mileage improves in some cases climbing to 26mpg or even a bit more.

Doesn't take much hard acceleration though to bring that number down and it takes even more focused driving with gas mileage in mind to bring that number up again. One hard acceleration run down a long freeway on ramp while exhilarating has that mpg display reading horribly low for miles and miles after.

If one is not careful he can introduce quite a bit of variability in the car's fuel consumption by inconsistent filling of the tank or varying when he resets the on-board computer.

When you fill up the gas tank watch the automatic nozzle shutoff. With my car sometimes the nozzle shuts off too soon and less often when I think it shuts off too soon the tank is really full to near brimming and another squeeze of the handle has gas running out of the filler neck. Some nozzles are worse than others and I have a favorite gas station at which I have learned which pumps have nozzles are less likely to early shut off and use though pumps whenever possible. On the road, I am just careful with any nozzle.

I have learned to avoid these early shut off or overflow scenarios so the tank gets filled to about the same level each fill up. In some cases when it 'feels' like the nozzle shut off early, to double check I'll walk around to the driver's side of the car and insert the key and turn the key on to update the fuel level gage's display to confirm the tank is full or still a bit less than full. If less than full I'll of course top up the tank to full. This makes the mileage numbers more consistent.

After filling the gas tank, my techique then has me getting in the car starting the engine then using the on-board computer stalk to view and write down the various data of interest to me: Odometer, trip odometer, mpg, range, average speed, then reset all readings, then taking off.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17.6 mpg for last couple thousand miles combination around town and hwy blasts. I've seen 25 on a long fast hwy run, and WAY less during 'spirited' driving...gas just may be the cheapest part of owning these cars.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I average between 13-15 mpg. I tried to be mellow on cruise control on the freeway and can get 17 or so. But.... can't keep off the boost. In a related note, our local fuel stations are starting to boast non- alcohol premium. That said 76 and Conaco only post 91 octane with their non-eythanol gas, compared to the 92 octane Chevron that still has alcohol. The alcohol must have some effect on the octane rating??? It seems like it would be a good thing to have 92 without alcohol.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Turbo engines, particularly older designs like the 993TT suffer a double whammy. When you are not using the boost you suffer from the inefficiency of a very low compression engine. When on the boost, well, you get to pay for 400-500 horsepower. On long road tips with Terry and his 997TT, he gets about 20% better fuel mileage then I do... cars driven EXACTLY the same. I can't tell you how annoying that is.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Im over 25mpg on the highway all the time but half that around town.

Its the price you pay for fun and its not that much different than my supercharged NSX was.

It is however irrelevant to the way my NSX went through rear tires. 1500miles and those suckers would be done. That was horrible!

Quick Reply: fuel economy