Sponsored by:

Quick detailing solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick detailing solution?

Every now and then you want your car to shine but you havent got the time or the car is simply not dirty enough for a complete wash up. Maybe you just want to remove smashed bugs or wipe out some dust or remove water stains from the last wash.

What do you spray on before wiping? Commercial or home made solution?

I have a spray bottle of mild water - soap mixture and microfiber cloth under the bonnet. This doesnt bite on bug stains and leaves no shine as I would like, especially on fenders and other curvy spots.

Any recommendations?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 AM
bogotajoe
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 41 Posts

For a quick shine I use ICE spray from Turtle Wax with a soft cloth.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I keep this (see pic) and a microfiber in my passenger door pocket. For anything stubborn I use cleaner wax when I get home.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2011, 08:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would you have water stains from the prior wash? Are you wasking in the direct sunlight? Not keeping the car wet? Poor water quality? Washing too large of a section?

Try using your leaf blower the next time to remove +95% of the water. Then, wipe the remaing water off with a quality waffle weave drying towel.

I never touch the paint unless the car is very-very clean (the only exception would be to remove the rare bird bomb), and just washed. This reduces the chances for any micro marring or scratching. For quick detailing between major detailing, I am really liking the Adams Quick Detail Spray. Awesome shine, supper slick finish, and smells great.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunlight we seldom have in Finland. Water is very hard (mineral rich) here. Leaf blower is a good idea, I use it too. Then wipe the rest with chamois leather. Some mineral stains always come up.

When you take your car somewhere you know there will be lots of people watching it closely, it is nice to have a good product to wipe some road tar, mosquito smash or water stain away before you leave the car.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used a lot of products from Meguires Ultimate Quick Detailer to their lower tier detailer. They worked good, but did not last and at times on dark cars I noticed it leaves a funny film if you look at it from an off angle. I now use after washing, Eagle NANO Wax spray. Not only does it leave a very good protection film, more so than Meguires detailers, but it is also clear and does not stain the black rubber parts. In fact you can spray on just about any exterior material and it makes it look good. This is not a substitute for a good deep detailing, but it does extend it. The water just beads, and has a good UV filter. It does lend depth tot he finish.
I also use it on my homes TRANE AC condenser unit outside to keep the composite fan shroud from bleaching out in the hot sun down here! Works great.
http://eagleone.com/pages/products/p...=1121&cat=5010
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Why would you have water stains from the prior wash? Are you wasking in the direct sunlight? Not keeping the car wet? Poor water quality? Washing too large of a section?

Try using your leaf blower the next time to remove +95% of the water. Then, wipe the remaing water off with a quality waffle weave drying towel.

I never touch the paint unless the car is very-very clean (the only exception would be to remove the rare bird bomb), and just washed. This reduces the chances for any micro marring or scratching. For quick detailing between major detailing, I am really liking the Adams Quick Detail Spray. Awesome shine, supper slick finish, and smells great.
Can always tell a post from a detailing enthusiast...

OP: as for QDs, I've had very good results from Chemical Guys' products on other vehicles. Haven't tried any QDs on the 996TT yet - just a couple coats of Glasur so far.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just run mine through the $3.00 wash at the local Shell station.

Just kidding
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any Quick detailer will work. To really solve the water spot problem you should invest in a CR spotless system and a pressure washer. You'll never have to dry your car and it works incredibly well. They run about $380 US. The pressure washer combined with the CR really extends the life of the resin by about 3X. Just use common sense on the pressure and distance from the paint.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
kato1453
Advanced

I like to use Griot's garage Speed Shine. Makes the car very clean even smells good too.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 AM
White Trash With Cash
Track Day

investing in a water softener for your garage or house is a good idea to get rid of hard water. it also makes washing your car a breeze as you dont have to frantically dry your car off before the hard water stains set.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kato1453
I like to use Griot's garage Speed Shine. Makes the car very clean even smells good too.
I use Speed Shine too. Works great. I carry a small bottle and mcro towel in the frunk.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kato1453
Same here...been using this for years. Great stuff.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

ONR (Optimum No Rinse)...wash and dry entire car in less than 15 minutes.

wsh

Quick Reply: Quick detailing solution?