Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   Potential 996 Turbo owner; looking for information (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/642463-potential-996-turbo-owner-looking-for-information.html)

Macster 07-15-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBaker1121 (Post 8713669)
sorry, I have been busy at my internship and havent really had time to search.

We found a nice one in CT, silver 03 with 26k miles loaded with 997 wheels, nav, cd, options, tiptronic, etc asking $54k
Its still more than we would like ot spend but its worth taking a look at.

A lot of cars we've found are a flight away and my father is reluctant to fly to see a car..... the search continues. Thanks for the help.

The problem on the last test drive was we seemed too excited with the car, then when it came time ot pricing we mentioned all of the problems. This time orund I will not hold back until the end but will say what I see right away so it is not a surprise....

Well... just a head's up. Even if you would kill for a car do not let it out that you like the car. No need to fake distain either. Poker face is what you want.

If you rave about a car during the test drive then back at the starting point begin right away pointing out issues even though I'm sure the issues are real the seller will probably take this as a lame attempt to drive the price of the car down.

As for looking at the car you mentioned... If the car is not that far away, and even if your father doesn't want the car, you should consider going to see the car. Unless you are an experienced used Turbo evaluator looking at used Turbos is a way to gain some more expertise in well looking at evaluating Turbos. The better you are at this the better your odds of avoiding a not so good Turbo and ending up with a better than average Turbo.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Global Autosports 07-16-2011 12:50 AM

If the car checks out it would be a good deal in the low $40k's considering the mileage.

White Trash With Cash 07-31-2011 10:24 AM

I have bought one since you started this post. Keep looking. Find the car you want, and pay a fair price for it. I think there is an awesome one posted here or on 6S0 with only 14K miles on it. Maybe you should check that out.

JBaker1121 07-23-2014 05:34 PM

Still haven't found the right car. We went with a mercedes instead.

Now, we are looking for a relatively "cheap" side project Porsche 930...new thread will be made.

x50type 07-23-2014 09:43 PM

What...................................!

After 61 very knowledgeable replies, 5 pages and 3533 views you went with a Mercedes.............WTF.

On how many other forums did you waste their time and expertise?

:banghead:

JG 996T 07-23-2014 11:29 PM

And why report back three years later after the thread had already died a quiet death....

JBaker1121 04-07-2015 02:29 PM

...because we could not find the car we wanted within our budget and are more comfortable buying from dealers in case something goes wrong... so the many available cars here from private sellers, though nice, were not an option at that time. The mercedes we went with was a cheap SL500 to knock around on the weekends.... not a long-term investment.

However, all of the help has not gone to waste. After seeing how the market is for older porsches, and after looking at and driving 10+, and with me currently trying to sell my daily driver infiniti, I am now looking for a 996 once again.

repeat: looking for a 996TT again. budget ~$40k. Manual Now because it will be for me not my father. near NYC.
Also willing to trade my daily driver Infiniti FX50 ($30k). Will be posting in For sale section.

These are the cars I am currently looking at, all "nearby" and at dealers. Currently searching thru Porsche's page

2001 996T, 44k Miles, $45k, 6spd, Arctic Silver over black, Westchester NY (45m away in NY)
http://www.worldluxurymotorcars.com/..._253384566.veh

2001 996T, 30k miles, $44k, 6spd, Black/Black, aero, modified car computer/nav, (Albany, NY - few hours away)
http://www.bulautosales.com/2001-por...?make=PORSCHE&

2001 996T, 31k miles, $44k, 6spd, Arctic Silver over Brown Leather, CF, Nav, etc. "$15k spent on service" - ( Illinois )
http://www.napervilleautohaus.com/de...-12926463.html

2003 996T, 49k miles, $46k, 6spd, Silver/Black, noncom wheels, LED mods, (Indiana)

there are some other similar ones to these but this is basically the sort of car I'm looking at.
http://www.sweetcars.com/inventory_detail.php?id=11485

It seems like the pricing has not moved much on these cars since my last big search.
I have been trying to keep my search semi-local for now but am indeed open to examples further away, because the cars are more expensive in my area.
I also need to see if a place will take my trade-in OR if it sells privately...

I just read through the thread again and wanted to thank those who helped along the way, i have re-read and taken into consideration all comments. I want a car that is nearly stock, lowest miles possible, 02+ preferred but 01 okay too. I am planning on keeping it as a weekend car.

If anyone has got one for sale you can post here or message me.

Mods can feel free to alter thread title as they see fit. My past requests to delete threads or alter labeling haven't been done.

x50type 04-07-2015 06:48 PM

Doubt you'll get much of a sympathetic hearing here after you suddenly went to Merc...................!

:(

JBaker1121 04-07-2015 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by x50type (Post 12186606)
Doubt you'll get much of a sympathetic hearing here after you suddenly went to Merc...................!

:(

lol, guess it doesn't help we currently have 4 in the family then....

This time I'm looking for myself, however. Not for my father. He's the one who doesnt want to travel for the right car or deal with looking...

Turbodan 04-07-2015 11:41 PM

:corn:let us know when you sell the infiniti, unless you are ready to buy the Porsche first.

Pel 04-08-2015 07:39 AM

Dude, after reading your posts on the 996tt & 964 Turbo forum you need to sharpen up....

1, Don't bother comparing a 500SL or even an E55 to ANY Porsche Turbo. One is a sports car with 40 years of pedigree, the former are glorified cruisers and saloons, I'm sure the 500SL & E55 are cheaper price points. Theres a reason for this.

2, Debating the merits of a 964 Turbo v 997 Carrera is ridiculous. One is a classic the other is modern, people that want 964 Turbos are there because they want one, they are collectors item's not value propositions.

3, Stop moaning so much about price, you either pay now or pay later.

4, Owning a Porsche costs money (at least where I'm from) I've had a 964 and currently have a 930 and 996tt. It's a hobby/passion, if you want one pony up the cash for the best one you can afford, if you are buying privately (my preference) PPI the owner as much as the car, buying off someone passionate about the marquee is better than any mechanical dealer warranty in my opinion, I would never touch a car someone has owned & hammered for 6 months - 1 year grown bored and decided to sell, mechanical warranty or not.

The overriding tone on 996 and 996tt (to a lesser extent) forums is telling people what they shouldn't buy or can't afford, I think in part because of the absurd "newbie help please" coupled with the fact that 996 Carrera's and their shortcomings have affected desirability of the 996tt. Considering I've never posted on the 996tt forum I may get ragged for stating this but it's just what's been observed from the shadows.

Lastly no one cars about how many Mercs or Infiniti's you or your family has, THIS IS A PORSCHE FORUM. 996tt's are a bargain right now.

Cheers

Pel

JBaker1121 04-08-2015 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pel (Post 12187917)
Dude, after reading your posts on the 996tt & 964 Turbo forum you need to sharpen up....

1, Don't bother comparing a 500SL or even an E55 to ANY Porsche Turbo. One is a sports car with 40 years of pedigree, the former are glorified cruisers and saloons, I'm sure the 500SL & E55 are cheaper price points. Theres a reason for this.

2, Debating the merits of a 964 Turbo v 997 Carrera is ridiculous. One is a classic the other is modern, people that want 964 Turbos are there because they want one, they are collectors item's not value propositions.

3, Stop moaning so much about price, you either pay now or pay later.

4, Owning a Porsche costs money (at least where I'm from) I've had a 964 and currently have a 930 and 996tt. It's a hobby/passion, if you want one pony up the cash for the best one you can afford, if you are buying privately (my preference) PPI the owner as much as the car, buying off someone passionate about the marquee is better than any mechanical dealer warranty in my opinion, I would never touch a car someone has owned & hammered for 6 months - 1 year grown bored and decided to sell, mechanical warranty or not.

The overriding tone on 996 and 996tt (to a lesser extent) forums is telling people what they shouldn't buy or can't afford, I think in part because of the absurd "newbie help please" coupled with the fact that 996 Carrera's and their shortcomings have affected desirability of the 996tt. Considering I've never posted on the 996tt forum I may get ragged for stating this but it's just what's been observed from the shadows.

Lastly no one cars about how many Mercs or Infiniti's you or your family has, THIS IS A PORSCHE FORUM. 996tt's are a bargain right now.

Cheers

Pel

1. I never compared the Sl500 or E55 to the Porsche Turbo... I agree they are different cars and are typically at different price points based on mileage.
2. I never debated the merits of a 964 vs 997 iirc.
3/4. This is why I have not yet purchased one because I couldn't find one in the price point I am currently comfortable with. I went and looked at plenty and didn't need a PPI to tell they weren't worth it - and these were both private and dealer sales. I am fine with a private sale but private doesnt always = enthusiast. One private sale I went and looked at had it priced as such but took it to valero for oil changes and had cheap chinese tires on it....

lastly, I simply included the fact we have the other cars since this is a car forum. I understand this is a porsche forum but I am certain not every single member has porsches only. Don't get so defensive when another make is mentioned.

I understand you're attempting to help in your own way.... As many people understand sometimes it takes a while to find the right car. The gap in my searching was caused by being away for school but I am finally finishing up so will be in the area permanently (this is why I am getting rid of my DD SUV - not necessary when I will be working/living in Manhattan. - want a weekend car)

Don't base your opinion on my situation from posts from 4 years ago

Listen, I love the older porsches - whether 930, 964. Always have. But, I cannot find a clean enough example within the price point I want - like you said, "pay now or pay later" - I am finding the right car now so I don't need to worry later. I happen to have a personal desire for the 996TT despite its "reputation" because I years ago when they first came out, my neighbor got one of the first around. Would see it every day weather permitting.... (plus there were tons of 964/993 around but alas not across the street for me to stare at every day)

--
of the 4 or so I posted above, 1 is actually "clean" IMO.

I just spoke to St Paul Porsche in MN who had the only 6spd 996T under 50k on the Porsche website 911 search.. (found others via cars.com) looked clean, but I called and there is no service history and the 3rd gear syncro needs to be replaced (they are doing it) and they havent sent me the carfax after 20 hours.
so, strike that one from the list.

I heard back from the World Luxury place, http://www.worldluxurymotorcars.com/..._253384566.veh
they told me the car just had an oil change, new front pads and rotors, rear pad, and 4 new tires...but need to "double check" about the service history.
I am planning on viewing this car this weekend.

Still waiting to hear back on the others.