Porsche of Stevens Creek,Santa Clara,CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Porsche of Stevens Creek,Santa Clara,CA

Hello all,
I have scheduled a PPI at the above named dealership and was wondering if there were any reservations on using them ?
Any recommendations/suggestions on PPI on a 996 TT ?
Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Hello all,
I have scheduled a PPI at the above named dealership and was wondering if there were any reservations on using them ?
Any recommendations/suggestions on PPI on a 996 TT ?
Thanks
The only reservation I'd have is the same reservation I'd have with any dealership performing a PPI. Does the dealer have a fudiciary interest in seeing this used Turbo sold other than it might get your used car service business?

IOWs is there a car purchase from the dealer (new/used car purchase) hanging on whether this car sells?

Even so my reservations would not be too strong. But it helps to know what's hanging on the sale.

Be sure you know what the PPI involves and that you will know if the car's been poorly repaired after an accident; that the body/chassis is straight and that the alignment adjustment hasn't been used to align a bent car; you get a readout of the DME overrevs (and ask for an interpretation (and pass it along here as a sanity check)).

Be sure the PPI includes driving the car from dead cold to full up to temp over 30 miles or so. No need to have the driver beat on the car but the car must driven long enough to get the engine completely up to temp to ensure it is quiet, oil pressure is reasonable, that the cooling system works, and so on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The only reservation I'd have is the same reservation I'd have with any dealership performing a PPI. Does the dealer have a fudiciary interest in seeing this used Turbo sold other than it might get your used car service business?

IOWs is there a car purchase from the dealer (new/used car purchase) hanging on whether this car sells?

Even so my reservations would not be too strong. But it helps to know what's hanging on the sale.

Be sure you know what the PPI involves and that you will know if the car's been poorly repaired after an accident; that the body/chassis is straight and that the alignment adjustment hasn't been used to align a bent car; you get a readout of the DME overrevs (and ask for an interpretation (and pass it along here as a sanity check)).

Be sure the PPI includes driving the car from dead cold to full up to temp over 30 miles or so. No need to have the driver beat on the car but the car must driven long enough to get the engine completely up to temp to ensure it is quiet, oil pressure is reasonable, that the cooling system works, and so on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Is there such a thing as a quiet warmed up 996TT?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

The current owner is bringing the car over for a PPI and it's the dealership where he has always had the car serviced.
My reservation with an independant shop doing the PPI especially when there's a distance involved is,would an indy shop have finances to stand behind their screw up,probably not...
I personally would not want any dealership (BMW/Porsche/Audi etc etc) doing the PPI but when i am 2000 miles away,i want some one who would/could be held responsible for any mis-representation.
The dealer is suppose to
a)-Send me an itemized check list as to what was checked and what wasn't.
b)-Definately the over revs and it's interpretation.
c)-Paint meter reading to confirm all panels have the same paint thickness
d)-Check the fluids and see how they look.
e)-Look at the brakes/wheels/tires and suspension to rule out any issues/tracking.
f)-Ofcourse test drive the car.
g)-Even before the PPI,i am having a board member going and looking at the car for me.
The car is stock and has been adult owned by this 2nd owner since 2000 miles on the odo (currently 21,000 miles) so i am sure the car is fine.

Btw Macster ,i do appreciate your concern though

Later
Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Quiet is a relative term, of course. Porsche engines can be noisier than other engines (or sound noisier due to their being closer to the cabin and driver than engines located in the front of the car) and Turbo engines are a bit noisier than average, but with some experience/exposure to these cars and their engines one can develop knack for id'ing a normal noisy engine and one that's abnormally noisy.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Twinturbofan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know anything about Porsche of Stevens Creek, but I had a dealer, Rusnak Porsche in Westlake, CA do an inspection on a 2003 tt for me. They gave it a clean bill of health except for a window regulator that needed to be replaced. Less than one month and 500 miles later here is what I found:
Inside rear tires worn to cord, right front strut bent, undersized non porsche battery, front rotors worn way below minimum, both left and right rear tailight mounts broken (inside engine lid). I can see maybe missing the bent strut but not the other items. A dealer would not be my first choice.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never use the dealer the owner has used for years (and who will service his new porsches). If they've taken care of the car they are conflicted by that as well.

Also, you question would an indy have the resources to stand behind a screw up...what do you actually THINK a Porsche dealer puts 'on the line' with a PPI? Not a damn thing. You'll need to sue them just like anyone else...people seem to think that nice buildings, smarmy telephone matters, etc, etc, translates into some fiscal assurance- there is none.

But at least you are doing a PPI- many do not, and seem surprised when issues arise "out of the blue"

Good luck

A
Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Several years ago when i purchased my '91 C2 Turbo,i had a porsche dealer near Knoxville,TN do a PPI with compression/leakdown test for me.
I also told them,if all goes well to go ahead and change the plugs too.
Few hours later,they called and gave the car a clean bill of health.Compression numbers were all fine ( 125 all across the board ) and i was charged $450 or something like that.
Low and behold,a week later,the car started sputtering etc etc and actually died on me while on the road.I had it towed to a local Porsche dealer and was told the car needed new plugs.
The other porsche re-funded all the money back with out any hassle and luckily the compression/leakdown numbers came out all great.
So yes i do not trust dealerships but something is better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Porsche of Stevens Creek,Santa Clara,CA