Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain/Gearbox issues on tuned TT's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
krambulle
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain/Gearbox issues on tuned TT's?

Hello all,

My first post on this forum so please excuse any potential misstakes a newbie might make!

I am in the market for for a 996TT. As I am used to quite a lot of BHP's in my cars I have been looking on already tuned cars.

I have my eyes on a RUF RTurbo with the 550 BHP kit.

I know that a lot of cars on this forum runs 500+ BHP and I would just like to know if you guys have any opinion on just how good the drivetrain and gerabox copes with that kind of power? Is there anything that needs to be reinforced in order for it not to break?

The intention is to track the car from time to time so a gearbox cooler/radiator is planned. Anything else that needs to be modified?

//Johan
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anytime you go beyond 500HP it is my understanding you need to up your clutch pack. A base TT should not boost more than 1.0 bar since the base turbo has smaller turbos then the "S" version. The higher boost requires K24 tubos or larger, should have larger divertor valves, and the higher boost starts getting inot restricted fuel delivery, not sure at what boost the larger injectors are needed. So if you are starting off with a turbo S these paramters change.

Here is some info on Gbox cooling and info.

http://www.gboxweb.com/oilsystem.html
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by krambulle
Hello all,

I have my eyes on a RUF RTurbo with the 550 BHP kit.

I know that a lot of cars on this forum runs 500+ BHP and I would just like to know if you guys have any opinion on just how good the drivetrain and gerabox copes with that kind of power? Is there anything that needs to be reinforced in order for it not to break?

//Johan
Is it a RUF VIN car? Or modified turbo? On the former, customer could choose either RWD or AWD.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM
krambulle
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Is it a RUF VIN car? Or modified turbo? On the former, customer could choose either RWD or AWD.
It's not a RUF VIN car, it is a -01 Turbo that has been modified at a certified RUF-center. Hence the car is still AWD. The AWD might be changed to RWD if I buy it though.

The clutch is changed, by RUF, according to the info that I have.

Anything else that should have been done/needs to be changed in order for it to cope with the 550 BHP?

//Johan
Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

RUF doesn't play games... If they did the 550 conversion then the car should be good for 550 HP,period.
I am in the process of finalizing my 550 deal too ..

Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
A base TT should not boost more than 1.0 bar...
I boost to 1.1 on stock k16 turbos.

I know...I know..., the next comment(s) to follow will be something like..."you're going to blow your engine or you're going to blow your turbos". OK, I'll let you know if and when that happens. In the meantime, it's been many years of flawless performance.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by krambulle
... you guys have any opinion on just how good the drivetrain and gerabox copes with that kind of power? Is there anything that needs to be reinforced in order for it not to break?
You might want to go with a stronger clutch.

I'm around 500 hp and besides the upgraded clutch I haven't done anything else to the transmission/drivetrain. So far I've had no problems at all (except for the faster wearing rear tires...).
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
krambulle
5th Gear

Thanks for your input guys! I really appreciate it!

As long as there is no immediate danger running that kind of power I feel pretty safe. I would hate to blow up the transmission first thing I do.

I have the same feeling though, a RUF-conversion should be pretty bullet-proof (I hope/keeping my fingers crossed/knock on wood)!

//Johan
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should change your transmission oil more frequently. Original owner of my car had to have the transmission rebuilt by PMG because the fluid on the high HP modded cars will break down sooner. The recommendation he got from TPC Racing to avoid any future problems was to change it after every 50 run sessions on the track. That's for DE; each run session typically 25-30 minutes long.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain/Gearbox issues on tuned TT's?