Sponsored by:

H&R Street Coilovers, opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default H&R Street Coilovers, opinions please

My Turbo is slowly becoming my car. I have done a couple of things that has dramatically changed the look from the way I bought it and now I think the stance has to be dropped.

I've read everything I could find on lowering and the least expensive route seems to be H&R Sport Springs. They will drop it an inch all around. I may want more, up to 1.6" which I think is GT2 spec. But I'd also like the freedom to be able to adjust the ride height with out having to do a complete spring/damper disassembly and realignment.

The PSS10s don't like to go lower than around an inch if that, as the car rides on the bump stops and suspension movement ends negatively affecting handling.

I'll never track, so I don't need a dampening system that works at high speed, high loads and overly stiff for street. I'd like to keep a nice compliant ride tuned for street, just lower the C of G which will help in the twisties.

I did a search on H&R Street Coilovers and most all the posts are quite old. It seems H&R customer service was non existant then and they had lots of noise related problems and issues with drop links, etc.

Anyone here have the H&R Coilovers or have any first hand info regarding them. It'd help if we're talking relatively current production over the last 3-4 years.

TIA
Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
DEjunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great question. Relevant to me too. I'm considering H&R lowering springs for my 03 c4s.

I'm also concerned about shock degradation as I read happening on other cars. I'm not looking to solve an entire suspension problem in a year or two.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I think X73 is a phenomenal suspension. It lowers the car without giving it the "slammed" look", and the handling improvements (IMO) FAR outweigh the (what some people consider to be a negative) stiffer ride.

I personally think X73 should have been the standard suspension from the factory, with a "softer, more GT" suspension being optional. Then again, I think a louder exhaust, B&M shifter, and LWFW (among some other things) should have also been standard equipment. The options list should have been for people who wanted a softer, less hard edged sports car.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with Dock, but differ strongly with any thought of the H and R springs. I made this mistake, and spent all the money necessary to undo it. The H and R's give the right "look", but destroy the functionality of the car. The front end transmits every irregularity in the road, and the rear shocks bottom. But, the handling is not improved (yes- I re-alligned using optimal settings). I did switch to the the PSS10's after about 12,000 unhappy miles.
My Porsche mechanic measured a GT-2 to get appropriate ride heights, and duplicated these for me. I run softer shock settings than most might anticipate, due to the lousy road surfaces around Chicago. "2" in the front, and "3" in the rear is perfect for street driving. To my surprise, the front does not float, and the ride is firm but comfortable. i no longer track my tt either (several other track cars available), so I think this advice would work for you. I'm now at 77,000 miles, and perfectly happy with the car. AS
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 PM
legendr34
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the version 2 H&R street coilovers and I like them. The car handles great and doesn't feel floaty. Only issue is, they very bumpy on a rough patch of road.

Quick Reply: H&R Street Coilovers, opinions please