996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of me puking coolant all over the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
fdorn
Advanced

Location: Chicago - UMW Flash, UMW Performance Clutch (dual-mass), RUF exhaust, Evoms Bilit DV's,PSS10's, Pioneer Nav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of me puking coolant all over the track

Couple of shots as it happened.....

Random shots

Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yuck, Frank! Did they make you buy the dry-rite too?

What happened - lose the glued-in fitting?

Jon
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM
fdorn
Advanced

Location: Chicago - UMW Flash, UMW Performance Clutch (dual-mass), RUF exhaust, Evoms Bilit DV's,PSS10's, Pioneer Nav

"What happened - lose the glued-in fitting?" EXACTLEY.. It happened back in June - no charge for the tow or the dry-rite....just a ton a embarrassment as the towed me past all the cars I sidelined....

Originally Posted by dantzig
Yuck, Frank! Did they make you buy the dry-rite too?

What happened - lose the glued-in fitting?

Jon
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been happening a lot lately. A couple guys near me had this happen to them, one at the track.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
fdorn
Advanced

There is also a known weak link with the main (driver and passanger) coolant hose. Kevin warned me about it 6 months ago. These were not the culprits, but I swapped out the other hoses for the 997 (driver side) and 996 superceeded parts (might have that backward) when I fixed this..

In his words....

"Humor me..

I tell people to REPLACE/UPDATE these because TOW bill 4 gallons of coolant at $35 a gallon. Plus the pain in the a$$ factor equals >> Priceless..."

Originally Posted by Land Jet
This has been happening a lot lately. A couple guys near me had this happen to them, one at the track.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did your motor have to come out to replace the glued-in fitting?

Did you replace the whole part, or have fittings welded in?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Ouch! Sorry about that.... Frank can we get some more detail about the type of glued is used to put those fittings back on and exactly which hoses need to be replaced. Thanks, J.P.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
fdorn
Advanced

No. Replacing the part the failed and the 2 main coolant hoses, all in, was 700 or 800 bucks.

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Did your motor have to come out to replace the glued-in fitting?

Did you replace the whole part, or have fittings welded in?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Last weekend my front passenger side hose failed, at an AX event, I lost control of the car. I wasnt going very fast so nothing really happened, I was just so glad that it didnt happen at VIR or Summit Point doing 120mph

Last edited by MechanicalEng; 10-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
fdorn
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpflip
Ouch! Sorry about that.... Frank can we get some more detail about the type of glued is used to put those fittings back on and exactly which hoses need to be replaced. Thanks, J.P.
JP,

This is the best I can do from my failing memory...Maybe Jon knows better....not sure this is helpful or not.

I believe the parts Kevin recommended replacing are:
996 106 501 74 to superseded part 996 106 501 76
996 106 502 74 to superseded part 997 106 502 00

I am not 100% I am correct, but they are the hoses I replaced.

This is the part that failed - but I believe it was the connection.

This is the superseded 996 part

This is the superseded 997 part
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

That's a lot Frank, this will be useful.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gad, this happened locally with another car 5 years back and the car behind was totaled.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah the glued port. The reason for my most memorable track experience. In May we were down at Hallett and I was chasing a friend of mine (996 GT3) in my 951. There was a brand new 2011 GT3RS between us (30 day tag was signed 2 days before the event, lol), and I was probably 3/4 of the front straight behind them. Unknown to me, my buddy's glued port decided to come loose and he coated the last half of the straight in coolant. I never saw anything but towards the last half of the straight the car felt like it sidestepped slightly, and I didn't quite know what to make of it. Eased off the gas and light test of the brakes, rear end slides out to the right, let off and it came back (brake line instantly went through my mind), eased into it again expecting that I might have to run straight off the corner, this time the entire car came around and I was headed down the front straight dead sideways. I must have slide sideways down the straight about 100 yards...it just kept going and going and going. Figured well, I think there is plenty of run off room through turn 1 if I can be lucky enough to keep the 4 wheels on the ground as I exit the track, lol.....as I got closer to turn 1 the back end started going in a full 180 and I thought "oh boy here we go!" Then it came back around, and somehow everything caught right in the middle of the turn, I dropped it to 2nd and took turn 1 without touching the grass. Just as I caught it and started to pull through turn 1, I looked ahead and the GT3RS was backwards facing me against the inside wall around the corner....he couldn't have been an inch off that wall, lol. I'll never forget the look on his face as I came around that corner. The crappy part was my camera was turned off.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the large part (I believe #1 in the first diagram) fail? The one with all the fittings on it?

I thought this one is the part that usually fails- and a shop in Oregon sells fittings that can be welded in...

I thought the motor had to be pulled to do that job.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Years from now, when it rains, you will be able to go back to the exact spot and see the antifreeze coming up from the track surface ... it never goes away.

Quick Reply: Pics of me puking coolant all over the track