Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th and 6th gear slip when boost hits

Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche46
I replaced the transmission mount today with the 997 Turbo part, doubting my skills with window weld and as it's a relatively cheap part. The on/off throttle issue is gone, it shifts smoother but I still have clutch slippage. It's not as severe as before. It started at 4200 rpm in 4th instead of 3500 and didn't last as long. The air temp was 49F. Could this just be that the engine is making significantly more power with the denser air and it being flashed? I understand that the flash brings it to 490 hp. Thoughts?
Sure. A flashed engine's output could overwhelm a stock clutch's capacity to not slip. Techs tell me the stock clutch is probably good with up to around a 10% increase in engine output.

Some owners may get by with the stock clutch with more output if the clutch is particularly good or fresh. Some may not get by with the stock clutch if the clutch is in not so good a shape/condition.

Regardless, a slipping clutch is a slipping clutch and if you continue to use the car in a way the causes the clutch to slip it will only get worse over time. A short time. So you might as well begin your search for a replacement that is capable of handling the extra output.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Sure. A flashed engine's output could overwhelm a stock clutch's capacity to not slip. Techs tell me the stock clutch is probably good with up to around a 10% increase in engine output. Some owners may get by with the stock clutch with more output if the clutch is particularly good or fresh. Some may not get by with the stock clutch if the clutch is in not so good a shape/condition. Regardless, a slipping clutch is a slipping clutch and if you continue to use the car in a way the causes the clutch to slip it will only get worse over time. A short time. So you might as well begin your search for a replacement that is capable of handling the extra output.
+1
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 PM
mrmckinney
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very helpful thread thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th and 6th gear slip when boost hits