Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S Rear Reflector on 996 TT . new photos...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:37 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 996TT Cab with hard top

Just in case you've never seen a cab withe top on, I realize not many use it (few have it). Shame they couldn't duplicate the coupes lines but is is a lot quieter and warmer in the winter. (SORRY, WRONG THREAD)

Last edited by lconn; 02-04-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Wrong forum.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:41 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Allow me to confuse the matter even more:

996 targa
c4s wb bumper
Turbo decklid.

Does the spoiler work?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:39 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, wrong thread.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell

Does the spoiler work?
i would say the spoiler works. I only say this because i own a 04 C4S cabriolet. I HATE the fact that it dosent have a spoiler and no C4S came with them (except Aero Kits). I found a thread that shows you can take a turbo decklid off and bolt it on a C4S (cab only) and the connector is plug and play. Even though the C4S has a electric spoiler and the Turbo is Hydro. Just did it today. Turns out the info was correct. Bolts right on and the spoiler works perfect. Now i just have to take the turbo emblem off. Bad picture but it was late night.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:07 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
i would say the spoiler works. I only say this because i own a 04 C4S cabriolet. I HATE the fact that it dosent have a spoiler and no C4S came with them (except Aero Kits). I found a thread that shows you can take a turbo decklid off and bolt it on a C4S (cab only) and the connector is plug and play. Even though the C4S has a electric spoiler and the Turbo is Hydro. Just did it today. Turns out the info was correct. Bolts right on and the spoiler works perfect. Now i just have to take the turbo emblem off. Bad picture but it was late night.

Interesting! So the C4S uses the same electrics, relays, motor/pump, up/down limit switches and speed control as the turbo? You wouldn’t think that would be the case.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Interesting! So the C4S uses the same electrics, relays, motor/pump, up/down limit switches and speed control as the turbo? You wouldn’t think that would be the case.
Simple answer is nope, its all different. The C4S uses electric motors to lift the spoiler. The Turbo uses hyro rams. The good part was that all parts for both decklids (hydro, fans, light) all use the exact same wiring connector and pin locations within the connector. So it literally was a simple remove the old decklid (4 bolts) and unplug 1 big connector. Then install the turbo decklid and connector the connect. The car has no idea anything changed so at 75+ mph the spoiler raised just as it should and lowered at 35.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Simple answer is nope, its all different. The C4S uses electric motors to lift the spoiler. The Turbo uses hyro rams. The good part was that all parts for both decklids (hydro, fans, light) all use the exact same wiring connector and pin locations within the connector. So it literally was a simple remove the old decklid (4 bolts) and unplug 1 big connector. Then install the turbo decklid and connector the connect. The car has no idea anything changed so at 75+ mph the spoiler raised just as it should and lowered at 35.
OK, so that must mean the electrical "guts" (the two up/down relays with motor comtrol +12V/-12V, wiring harness) are the same for both models.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

OK, so that must mean the electrical "guts" (the two up/down relays with motor comtrol +12V/-12V, wiring harness) are the same for both models.
I would assume so. All i know is it transforms the look of my C4S. Just hope the hydro's work perfect for awhile. The normal Carrera/C4s style spoilers never have issues. But I'm sure you guys on the Turbo side are all to familiar with the expensive cost of repairs when they die which seems to be common occurrence. Now its time for Bumper Plugs to send me painted bumperettes and a 3rd brake light cover.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

I would assume so. All i know is it transforms the look of my C4S. Just hope the hydro's work perfect for awhile. The normal Carrera/C4s style spoilers never have issues. But I'm sure you guys on the Turbo side are all to familiar with the expensive cost of repairs when they die which seems to be common occurrence. Now its time for Bumper Plugs to send me painted bumperettes and a 3rd brake light cover.
I also have a 996 C2, and spoiler has been reliable since I purchased new in 2003. On the other hand, my turbo not so much! However, bleeding and repairing the hydraulic components on the turbo is no too expensive if you DIY.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I also have a 996 C2, and spoiler has been reliable since I purchased new in 2003. On the other hand, my turbo not so much! However, bleeding and repairing the hydraulic components on the turbo is no too expensive if you DIY.
Out of the total number of 996 Turbos that were built, I wonder what percentage have had spoiler issues. And what factor (or factors) lead to spoiler malfunctions? Is it leaving it up for prolonged periods of time? Is it a matter of part failure? Is it related more to certain years of production?

Last edited by Dock; 02-06-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dock
Out of the total number of 996 Turbos that were built, I wonder what percentage have had spoiler issues. And what factor (or factors) lead to spoiler malfunctions? Is it leaving it up for prolonged periods of time? Is it a matter of part failure? Is it related more to certain years of production?
I know from expierence, leaving them up for prolonged periods will cause leakage. Usually the seals in the rams fail, as well as the pump componets because of heat cycles and dirt. I don't believe it is MY related, as the 997s fail too!

Suspa is the company that makes the spoiler system for Porsche. They also make the frunk and engine cover struts among other hydraulic componets.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I know from expierence, leaving them up for prolonged periods will cause leakage. Usually the seals in the rams fail...
Does leaving the spoiler up place more stress on the seals, or are they under pressure even when the spoiler is down?

...as well as the pump components because of heat cycles and dirt.
So it may not be just the total number of cycles the spoiler has accumulated, but also the repetitiveness of the cycles over a relatively short period of time (where heat is generated by the multiple and closely spaced cycles).
Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Does leaving the spoiler up place more stress on the seals, or are they under pressure even when the spoiler is down?
I believe the system is "stressed" while in the up position because those huge internal springs are always trying to force the spoiler down (fail to down position). The hydraulics are holding it up, so the seals are under pressure when up. That's the way it looked to me when I had mine apart.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

As TKono stated a combination of hydraulic pressure and spring pressure are probably the cause of failure when left in the up position.

So it may not be just the total number of cycles the spoiler has accumulated, but also the repetitiveness of the cycles over a relatively short period of time (where heat is generated by the multiple and closely spaced cycles).
I think it's both, but the # of heat cycles cold/hot will contribute to seal failure in the long run, but by how much?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i'd venture 80% at least have experienced spoiler "issues". those that haven't experienced any spoiler issues have probably had the cars garaged and not driven for most of the period of ownership.

Quick Reply: C4S Rear Reflector on 996 TT . new photos...