Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?

First of all, hello! I've been lurking through many, many threads here and on 6speedonline.

Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?

These may seem like odd cars to compare, but I've narrowed it down to these; stay with me here.

Both are awesome, highly regarded machines that have depreciated the majority of what they will. I’ve tried to reason this to myself, and just want to pull some outside opinion into the mix.

Background on me:

- I’m single, debt free, and have no responsibilities aside from my job.
- I’ve owned a bunch of cool and high powered cars so far (C5 Z06, blown NSX, 600hp Supra, Stock Twin Supra, LS1 RX7, etc...)
- I get bored easily and I only own cars for a few months to maybe a little over a year or so.
- I only buy cars that have mostly depreciated and get into something else for little, if no loss, on a whim. I don’t mind enjoying cars long after they were the big deal.
- I don’t spend money on much else.

Background on intended usage, needs:

- This will be my only car, but I have a reliable fuel-injected/water cooled motorcycle which I try to ride as often as possible.
- I commute 2 miles city one way now, but will change to 15 miles highway commute in a few weeks due to a move.
- I usually don’t need to carry any more than 1 passenger; opportunities to carry more passengers are optional.
- I can’t drive anything normal or mundane, just not in my nature.
- I like big power, I don’t get to use it that often, but when I want it - I want it.
- Some sort of mod-ability is important.
- MPG is a psychological thing for me, so it does matter, but I do have the 40mpg on the bike.
- Reliability is important, but I don’t usually own cars for more than a few thousand miles.
- I've been to an HPDE once, and liked it, but don't see myself taking the car more than 2 times per year.

My thoughts so far:

- 2001-2002 996 Turbo – Awesome looks, OK interior, great power, very responsive to mods. A little more MPG than the M5. Most owners report them to be pretty reliable aside from a seemingly week transmission in a few cases. Catch is I will have to take a small loan out to get one (nothing that will upset my monthly earnings significantly, but will be something I notice). Insurance is 50% more than M5.

- 2001-2002 E39 M5 – Good looks, great interior, good power, mediocre response to mods. Just a tad less MPG than the 996TT. Extra doors and bigger back seats. Navigation standard and better than Porsche nav. Most owners report them to be pretty reliable aside from a few minor common problems. Insurance will be 50% less than the 996TT but also save me 62% versus my current toy (RX7). Greatest advantage is that I can pay cash for one of these.
Thoughts? I have not driven either car, so that could be a major turnoff (like the E46 M3 was).

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Daniel,

I assume you've posted on an M forum as well, you are bound to get fairly biased views on both sites?? For my 2c, after having an M3 and now a 964 Turbo 2, the feeling from the Turbo, Porsche kudos is far greater. M5's as good a reputation as they have, do still loose money. You will never get away from the fact they look similar to the rest of the 5 series range, are far more common etc. I love the looks of the 996TT, (not in my budget yet I'm afraid, although you boys are getting closer!!) it's a class car, not on many driveways, and once you've had a Porsche will be hard to replace.

So to make sure I'm clear, get the 996TT all day long. Either way it's always a hoot looking for and buying cars, so good luck

Steve
Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biglicks
I assume you've posted on an M forum as well, you are bound to get fairly biased views on both sites??
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response! I figured I would get biased responses as you noted, so I did post on the M5 board as well. Interestingly, a few of the M5er's have noted that if they didn't need the 4 doors, they'd go with the 996 Turbo all day long.

-Daniel
Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response! I figured I would get biased responses as you noted, so I did post on the M5 board as well. Interestingly, a few of the M5er's have noted that if they didn't need the 4 doors, they'd go with the 996 Turbo all day long.

-Daniel
in short decision made then!!

Steve
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biglicks
in short decision made then!!

Steve
Seems to be heading that way, although it was brought up that I could buy the M5 now (pay cash) and then sell it for the 996 a little later (possibly having the 996 in cash budget range at that time). Can say I owned the both of 'em.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
deandob
Intermediate

Daniel,

I have both cars, having had the E39 M5 for 7 years and the 996TT for 3 months. Apart from the space and comfort, the 996TT is a step up in a number of areas (acceleration, looks, handling, prestige) and is basically more fun to drive. Although the E39 M5 is a classic and a very good car, with a great balance of luxury with performance unparalleled for its time, I think you should go for 996TT. My E39 M5 is up for sale now as it just never gets driven.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2008, 06:57 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold an E39 M5 for a 2001 996TT and have not regretted it once.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Hi Daniel,

I had a 328i for 9 yrs. (very reliable, good mpg), then traded up to an '03 C4 Cab. Both were great cars but neither had enough power for me. So, I traded the Cab for an '03 996TT... and won't be going back. The M5 is a very good car, but it can't keep up with the Turbo, especially once mods are made. Plus, as powerful as the M5 is, it has a family sedan appeal (imo). The 996TT, on the other hand, doesn't. And, it's a great daily driver as well as a super track car w/a few mods. Turbo!

Linda
'03 996TT
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe I'm not getting something, but isn't an early model of the BMW worth something like $25,000? In today's market, especially in comparison to the performance of that car and a newer 3 series, you could be in as low as $21,000. There are a lot of choices in that market, including the E55 which is a huge value.
I don't think you will get a good 996tt for less than $47,000, so the price ranges are quite far apart.
Since both are off warranty, there is significant risk of expensive repairs with either, but my experience with both brands suggests the BMW will have more problems, and more expensive problems.

I really think this boils down to what you can afford. If mid-20's is your comfort zone, then that is your answer. I don't think it is a good move to go in over your head on a used car. With th tt, you would need to decide that you are willing to spend the necessary amount, AND leave $5,000 in reserve for the unanticipated repair. The car will still be a bargain, but that is only valid if one can afford it. AS
Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

May want to try out some air cooled turbos as well. Not as fast as the 996tt but lots of fun to drive.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 PM
SeattleDL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an E39 M5 for 4 years and loved it. I then drove Fly2low's 996tt and within 3 months had sold the M5 and bought a 996tt.
It's more fun.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

^^ Alexander, you make some good points. In terms of the of Porsche, I would anticipate paying around 45-50k and as such I would have a small payment versus outright buying the M5. The positive note is that I most definitely have the reserve covered, would hate for the expensive repair to come about, but would be ready.

Honestly, neither of these cars is a practical purchase, but that is what I'm into.

Lots of great feedback here. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acropora
May want to try out some air cooled turbos as well. Not as fast as the 996tt but lots of fun to drive.
I LOVE the 993TT, and the 964 (I think?) is not bad as well, but they both seem to be selling for as much as the 2001-2002 996TTs.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You want an (my) M5!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:25 AM
fatman
AutoX

Buy the turbo.. You'll never look back. But make sure you get a PPI first.

Quick Reply: Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?