Sponsored by:

A Pantera, an NSX, and an X50

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Pantera, an NSX, and an X50

Took a really nice drive into the twisties today up into the Calif Gold Country with the cars listed above....and am happy to report that my 02 X50 pretty much dominated the day. I wasn't too sure how well it would do against the Pantera, but the X50 surprised me how well it pulled away. The NSX was little or no competition at all. I guess I have to included the usual disclaimers on how responsible we were and that there were no cars for miles....and the road was straight with unimpeded vision fore and aft for ten miles in either direction. I can just imagine how much more performance you folks get out of your cars that are flashed to 6 or 700 HP.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM
C DeVito
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck,

Sounds like fun. Mid engined cars are usually excellent handlers, even older tech like the Pantera. The later GTS models are beautiful cars.

You should be chasing Ferarri's and Lambo's....
Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

BTW pick on someone your own size...
Old 11-11-2007, 02:31 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well driven NSX's at the track run times close to mine and in race conditions are as fast if not faster than me!!! I dont know what you can find out just goofing around on the streets but good drivers with those cars on a track would give you a good run.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I have no doubts that a really good track driver could give my X50 a good run on a track while driving a mini van. I was not attempting to find out anything "just goofing around". My only observation was that under the conditions we were driving....which involved some degree of due caution....the X50 did as well as or better than the other participants. I do not consider myself to be any where near a top-notch track driver. I do know that I didn't have to buy lunch. That's the extent of my observations.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:34 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Tom, surely you are kidding...an NSX has about 290 hp and runs 0-60 in 4.5 (with the 32b engine)...granted we are talking 2600lbs and they handle very well...unless modified they wouldn't stand a chance...would they?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 PM
C DeVito
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I do know that I didn't have to buy lunch. That's the extent of my observations.
Chuck,

If you didn't buy lunch, you definately upheld our honor.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Tom, surely you are kidding...an NSX has about 290 hp and runs 0-60 in 4.5 (with the 32b engine)...granted we are talking 2600lbs and they handle very well...unless modified they wouldn't stand a chance...would they?
Dr Chin who runs Chinmotorsports has a race prepared NSX and has passed me on multiple occasions. I am sure his car is perfectly prepared and he is a better driver than I, but still the point is made!!
Just trying to throw some info out there for the unsuspecting!!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

on nsx prime, some one by the name of KIP has a highly prepped nsx that has everything comptech has ever made, including one off parts, that thing is hell fast and he's on slicks. GT3's and TT's may not have the advantage you think against those super prep'd NSX.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Hey guys....we're not talking about cars all set up for the track running all the right stuff....just a trilogy of guys who got together and happened to be driving different cars....all pretty much stock unless you want to count my Europipe as a performance enhancement. I have no doubts that a well set up NSX or X50 for that matter would present a serious threat. I dont know much about the Pantera, but it was beautiful. I'll see if I can post a picture of the cars where we stopped for a breather.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

A few years ago, Peter Cunningham was allowed to practice during an event held at Road America by the Milwaukee region of PCA. He also taught classroom sessions during the day. Believe me, a properly prepared NSX in the hands of a good driver is VERY quick. Blew past me several times. I think the Realtime NSX had a supercharger bolted on, but that is typically good for not much more than 100hp with that car.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:43 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Hey guys....we're not talking about cars all set up for the track running all the right stuff....just a trilogy of guys who got together and happened to be driving different cars....all pretty much stock unless you want to count my Europipe as a performance enhancement. I have no doubts that a well set up NSX or X50 for that matter would present a serious threat. I dont know much about the Pantera, but it was beautiful. I'll see if I can post a picture of the cars where we stopped for a breather.
We know what you meant Chuck, we just cant help ourselves!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to own a 1974 pantera L (nearly the last one imported). It isn't a match for the tt, at least if left stock. While powerful for the time, I think it only had 265 hp from the 351 Cleveland motor, and it did tend to push the nose on cornering. Beautiful car, great fun, fast for its time (smog controls choked engines), but its time as a performance car has passed. The ZF box also shifted sloooowly. AS
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I really do not care which one is faster or better... Being able to drive all three had to be a blast!! And I would love to be able to park one of each in my garage.

Thank you for sharing... now... where are those photos!!!???
Old 11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Pictures of the three "contestants".....a great looking bunch doncha' think?

Sorry about the picture sizing....I'm having trouble importing decent photos...not exactly a computer genius.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-03-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: A Pantera, an NSX, and an X50