Third brake light gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Third brake light gasket???

Where can I find the gasket for the third brake light? Can't seem to find a part number in PET...

Anyone has replaced this seal in their car?

You can see the seal/gasket in the photo (right side) coming apart...

I will check with the dealer on Monday... just wanted to see if folks have had to replace theirs...
Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Never had to replace it, but if you buy the smoked third light you do get a new rubber gasket.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Never had to replace it, but if you buy the smoked third light you do get a new rubber gasket.
Thank you! I think that is the route I will take.

I will send an email to Eric @ bumperplugs... if I remember correctly, he used to carry the smoked third light...
Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 AM
dixie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seal/gasket is glued on the brake light,I've bought 2 smoke brake lights but they don't fit on my 996 turbo,bought one on ebay USA and one on ebay Germany and they told me it would fit 100% but none of them did,seems to be a little difference between a 996 and a 996TT...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is falling apart also Jaime. Damn I wish you would stop finding these thing and I go look at mine to check Let me know what they say.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Dixie...I KNOW they do not fit a TT cab, but I thought they fit coupes...at least that is what I was told after buying 2 and neither of them fitting. Bought my first one from Gert at Carnewal and my second one from someone in the states (can't remember who). LINK
Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Mine is falling apart also Jaime. Damn I wish you would stop finding these thing and I go look at mine to check Let me know what they say.
Sorry Jim It is just one of those things that becomes an eye sore... specially after cleaning the car...

Now you have the reconditioning of the headlights, third brake light gasket...

With the new rear wing you put in your car, the wheels, etc... your car is looking more and more mean!! A smoked third light back there is what you really need. I will let you know what Eric reponds with.

I also sent an email to Gert for a new steering wheel... looking to see if he can find me a thick steering wheel in the color of our cars.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I also sent an email to Gert for a new steering wheel... looking to see if he can find me a thick steering wheel in the color of our cars.
He probably can, but if you go with a smaller diameter steering wheel, make sure you sit low enough to see the gauges under the top portion of the steering wheel.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Dock
He probably can, but if you go with a smaller diameter steering wheel, make sure you sit low enough to see the gauges under the top portion of the steering wheel.
Porsche had an option of a thicker steering wheel. Not sure if it was smaller dia than the normal one... That is the one I am trying to find in the interior color I have.

The other option is the one with Carbon fiber and leather...

I guess the third option is the one used in the RUF and TechArt cars...
Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Now that you hijacked your own thread I guess anything goes....check with FVD for steering wheel. They will do any color, custom stiching...340mm thick. It is a very nice wheel (one of my favorite mods).
Old 10-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Porsche had an option of a thicker steering wheel. Not sure if it was smaller dia than the normal one... That is the one I am trying to find in the interior color I have.
After researching thicker and/or smaller diameter steering wheels I ended up working a special order of the Porsche CPZ steering wheel in my interior color.

I couldn't use a steering wheel with any significant decrease in OEM diameter...can't see the upper portion of the tach with the standard OEM steering wheel, so anything smaller would be a bust. The CPZ steering wheel is thicker, but only a bit smaller in diameter. The problem is that Gert at Carnewal can only get the CPZ steering wheel in black, and I need it in Metropol Blue. After months of discussion with PCNA, they finally agreed to work a special order of the CPZ unit in Metropol Blue...really a two part special order through the Porsche Exclusive Department...CPZ and steering wheel in interior color. It should be here by the end of the year.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Dock
After researching thicker and/or smaller diameter steering wheels I ended up working a special order of the Porsche CPZ steering wheel in my interior color.

I couldn't use a steering wheel with any significant decrease in OEM diameter...can't see the upper portion of the tach with the standard OEM steering wheel, so anything smaller would be a bust. The CPZ steering wheel is thicker, but only a bit smaller in diameter. The problem is that Gert at Carnewal can only get the CPZ steering wheel in black, and I need it in Metropol Blue. After months of discussion with PCNA, they finally agreed to work a special order of the CPZ unit in Metropol Blue...really a two part special order through the Porsche Exclusive Department...CPZ and steering wheel in interior color. It should be here by the end of the year.
OK, so you already tried the Gert route... I will call or stop by the dealer to see if they can accomodate a request like they did for you. I need mine in Graphite Grey.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Eric @ bumperplugs no longer sells that light. Search is on for the smoked light... might just end up replacing it with the factory part if it proves to difficult to find or if the feedback is that the aftermarket options don't fit well.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
MYSTRO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay.com 320175334290 It comes with the washer. I could not find the washer by itself.

Last edited by MYSTRO; 11-17-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Mystro, was fitment good?? Quality of the part?? The price is almost that of the original part... just want to make sure I don't buy something that does not fit well...

Thank you for the link.

Quick Reply: Third brake light gasket???