Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 996TT --> x50 996TT

Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by cgeorgan
I think that would have been an excellent idea. However, in the world of "right now", i have a beautiful car which I love.

I'm not completely unfamiliar with upgrading my automobile. I had a 2001 X5 which I had modded with several Dinan upgrades. Since (as we all know) that sort of thing is extremely addictive, I decided I wasn't going to do that with my 911.

Things have changed. I've had the TT for 2 years now as a daily driver, and I'm very comfortable with my ability to control the car in a non-race setting. Thus, I have been pondering some upgrades - for example a new exhaust, since mine did not come with the sport setting and I think it's a little too quiet.

I asked about the "x50" modification solely out of concern for resale value. I have read many posts where people question the history of a modded 911, believing that many mods are done to enhance track performance or heavy street abuse. On the other hand, nobody questions the motivations of an "x50" owner as being one who is abusive to some of the parts used car buyers might care about (clutch, tranny, brakes, etc).

I'm aware of Kevin but unfortunately I live in the Northeast. I do have a mechanic I use who deals solely in P-cars, and I'm sure he can do nearly any upgrade I need. I would never get this sort of work done at the dealer, as I've had too many unpleasant experiences.
As a buyer, I would much rather buy a non-x50 with a simple tune and that's it, than a non-x50 that's been pseudo-X50ized and messed up with in a major way with oil pumps and split case and stuff. In fact, I wouldn't give the latter car a second look. The more nosebleed stuff you do the car, the smaller the audience that will like it.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 AM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Since your car is stock, I would suggest starting with the following, purchase a Cobb A/P, plug in and do an easy 5 min setup. Purchase a nice exhaust system, I went with a Kline, and would absolutely recommend it. No drone, almost stock like sound until you hit the pedal, then it wails nicely. Once done go for a quick ride, it will immediately put a holy crap smile on your face, you will wonder why you waited soo long. The new found power will change the car and your perception of a turbo.
After these simple upgrades you can easily fall into the modding abyss, install a 997 shifter, custom Cobb tune, suspension, turbos, I/C's, etc. the only limit is your budget.
I too, thought I would leave my pristine tt stock as it left the factory. Then within 2 months started reading these forums and fell victim to doing some upgrades.
Go for it, and enjoy the ride (the only downside are our horrible roads here in Ct).
Old 10-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

This thread is from 2007. It was resurrected by accident. The OP is long gone.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
This thread is from 2007. It was resurrected by accident. The OP is long gone.
Hahaha! Fine troll bunping! I fell for it 100%.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Way back thread.. Circa 2007.. I have 4 sets of GT2/X50 turbochargers that I will be going thru in the next few months. If anyone wants to convert there K16 cars to a full X50 package including GT2/X50 intercoolers (minus the GT3 oil pump).
Email me Kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com OR Call me 360.805-9066
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane993
If you want a X50...buy one...If you want to go fast ......buy a regular TT and call Kevin.
^This
Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,840 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by my04996tt
Since your car is stock, I would suggest starting with the following, purchase a Cobb A/P, plug in and do an easy 5 min setup. Purchase a nice exhaust system, I went with a Kline, and would absolutely recommend it. No drone, almost stock like sound until you hit the pedal, then it wails nicely. Once done go for a quick ride, it will immediately put a holy crap smile on your face, you will wonder why you waited soo long. The new found power will change the car and your perception of a turbo.
After these simple upgrades you can easily fall into the modding abyss, install a 997 shifter, custom Cobb tune, suspension, turbos, I/C's, etc. the only limit is your budget.
I too, thought I would leave my pristine tt stock as it left the factory. Then within 2 months started reading these forums and fell victim to doing some upgrades.
Go for it, and enjoy the ride (the only downside are our horrible roads here in Ct).
+ 1 on the Cobb - the problem is the rest of the modding abyss comes up pretty quick...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock 996TT --> x50 996TT