Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   Warning on Brake Fluid level during track event (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/352210-warning-on-brake-fluid-level-during-track-event.html)

KJM3SMG 05-15-2007 04:30 PM

Warning on Brake Fluid level during track event

I got this a couple of times. The first time, I immediately went to the pit and checked... brake pads and rotors ok, no leak there.. opened up hood and see a slight spill from the cap (closed tight enough). This was on the 2nd of 4 sessions.

On the 4th session I got my 2nd light on for this brake fluid level. Checked again and it spilled a little bit from the hood brake fluid cap area.

BTW I got super blue ATE done a few months ago.. no issues. I've tracked quite a few times car has been great.

The fluid level did no affect my braking.. it was good throughout. Just wondering why it kept doing this. Fluid level was good, near top.

Any ideas?

Here's pics.. it's from Jefferson Circuit, hard on brakes.. but small track.. had a blast...

http://www.karljay.com/main/index.ph...ewtopic&t=1500

http://www.fmotorsports.com/events/B...7/DSC02717.JPG

KJ
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/i...ine=1163901305
FmotorSports.com

WCE 05-15-2007 05:20 PM

Fairly common problem. Happened to me at one particular track session several times for no apparent reason, and I have never seen it since. I will admit I was very hard on the brakes that day.
The obvious issue should be a faulty sensor, but I've read "solutions" ranging from simply replacing the brake fluid to replacing the reservoir! If your dealer will chase it down under warranty, I'd go for it.

KJM3SMG 05-15-2007 05:42 PM

do I tell them "hey I tracked my car and i got this warning..." and do they say "sir forget it.. dont track your car!" :-)

Mikelly 05-15-2007 09:31 PM

Was this at Summit?

I've had my own issues with braking on the 996TT. I'm running pagid pads and my own custom ducting, and I'll have the system bled w/more SRF when the oil is changed before I do the next event on June 9/10 at Shenandoah.

I'm hoping with a modification in my driving, and these upgrades, I'll have no more issues until I finish the track car and get signed off to teach.

Mike

KJM3SMG 05-15-2007 09:41 PM

Yes, that event was at Jefferson Circuit.

I had no issues at Shenandoah Circuit. Maybe it's coz at Shenandoah there are more spots to cool off... and I'm getting better so I'm putting more pressure on the brakes with more speed I'm carrying...

Do you think upgrading to steel brake lines will help?

99firehawk 05-16-2007 01:06 AM

its pretty common at the track, ive tried replacing resivors and sensors for custiomers but 9/10 times the next event they are calling me up

FineProperty 05-20-2007 01:39 AM

I've had it happen frequently on my '01, same results after new pads, rotors, and fluid changes with Ate Super blue. Pedal never felt soft, and I never had fluid level actually drop. A run through the pits turning the motor off and refiring produced the same result as stopping for the session and letting it cool and going back out.

KJM3SMG 05-20-2007 11:53 AM

thanks for the responses... the car is CPO i'll have them take a look at it... just an annoying message while you're on the track

greg911 05-23-2007 10:47 PM

That has also happened to me at almost every track event at some time during my runs. No pattern, just occassionally happens. Have had the cap replaced and entire break system checked. It is a little unnerving at Watkins Glen in the back straight at 145 mph and breaking for the bus stop when the light comes on. Other 911tt owners at the track get the same message also, so sounds like a very common problem. However, it would be a bit more comforting if Porsche had a TSB or investigation into the problem.

tkerrmd 05-24-2007 12:01 AM

common, happens no big deal. I would switch however to Motul or Castrol SRF fluid

jumper5836 06-03-2019 02:04 PM

Just bringing this back up. My car is doing this as well but just on the track when pushing it. It does not do it when doing warm up laps or on the street. Fluid level is between min and max so it isn't a real problem just an level sensor problem. I think high g force for extended amount of time triggers it. There are two other Turbos that I regularly track with and there owners do not have the same issue but there cars are newer and I have an 01.

powdrhound 06-03-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jumper5836 (Post 15883656)
Just bringing this back up. My car is doing this as well but just on the track when pushing it. It does not do it when doing warm up laps or on the street. Fluid level is between min and max so it isn't a real problem just an level sensor problem. I think high g force for extended amount of time triggers it. There are two other Turbos that I regularly track with and there owners do not have the same issue but there cars are newer and I have an 01.

On the TT it helps to run the brake fluid level at the MIN mark cold. Too much fluid in the reservoir usually trips the the low fluid light at the track. It's something inherent in the TT fluid reservoir as the GT cars do not have this issue. I've never had this happen on my car but seen it on a number of tracked TTs.

Carlo_Carrera 06-03-2019 06:43 PM

^ +1

I found lowering the fluid level eliminated the warning light.

TrillyPop 06-03-2019 08:46 PM

I have actually found the opposite. I fill the reservoir right at or below the MAX line, and would get the warning at the track only after hard braking. Add a bit of fluid and it goes away. This has been reproducible after bleeding.

jayzbird 06-04-2019 02:33 AM

For what it’s worth, I have an 03 and have never had the light come on. I did have leakage from the reservoir one time I had filled it to the top. Keeping it around halfway between min and max I’ve had no further issues.