Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   To chip or not to chip? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/346462-to-chip-or-not-to-chip.html)

vantt 04-21-2007 04:16 PM

To chip or not to chip?

Hi guys, now that you have set me straight re the exhaust may i ask another newbie question. I have always wanted to chip as this certainly seems to give you the biggest bang for your buck. My only hesitation is the warranty issue, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

John D II 04-21-2007 04:46 PM

Here are my thoughts...Anyone with a warranty in tact that chips should be be ready to foot the bill for any major engine or transmissin work - no matter what your tuner may say. That said, number one - it is extremely unlikey for major engine damage to occur and number two - even if it does there is a chance of the dealer not knowing the car was chipped, if the proper steps are taken. In the end, though, I think you should be ready to accept defeat (and pay the bill), if Porsche issues a challenge to your warranty work - if you have previously chipped the car.

Jon Elliott 04-21-2007 04:47 PM

My recommendation is to get a ECU reprogram that can be done via the ODB2 port. This enables you to revert back to the stock program at any time and only you and your tuner know :burnout:

I went with the UMW flash programmer that is smaller than a pack of smokes and can hold up to 8 programs that you can switch between, including your stock program.

Welcome to the upgrade bug!

Zippy 04-21-2007 05:06 PM

You must be aware - it is manditory.

wross996tt 04-21-2007 05:16 PM

If you are worried about warranty...then don't do any mods. That being said, you can find dealers that are mod friendly. Even flashing the ECU through the OBD port can be detected...if it got that far. You will notice it did not effect my decision...

John D II 04-21-2007 06:13 PM

wross996tt
You will notice it did not effect my decision...
I guess not, based on your mod list :burnout:

Nor mine and many others on this board...but there is a substantial risk involved.

JPschnitzer 04-21-2007 06:58 PM

There are dealers out there with a more enlightened view on mods...and they will cover warranty work on cars when it is obvious that the mods have nothing to do with a claim. Ask your dealer, and see what their position is. Some dealers actually offer ecu flashes, exhausts, short shift kits etc.

Important to go with a well-proven ecu flash...GIAC, etc.

tkerrmd 04-21-2007 07:19 PM

I had mine flashed through the dealer with full dealer support and warranty. Many dealers who sell and stand behind a certain product whatever it may be would be ok to have it done. And it MUST be done!!

John D II 04-21-2007 08:25 PM

If you are fortunate enough to have a local dealer that is OK with mods, then that is great. However, service managers change and so does dealership ownership. It is possible that mods done with a blessing in 2005 are considered to void the warranty in 2007 under new management. All I am is saying is you should at least be prepared for a potential worst case scenario...

slant911 04-21-2007 09:55 PM

Hate to repeat but you must know that it has to be done :)

I went with UMW for all the same reasons as stated above. To add to that though I liked not having to take my ECU out and mail it to someone AND the idea of talking to the guy that writes the program as opposed to someone who just does a flash. Plus Kevin is a damn nice guy :biggulp:

JasonAndreas 04-22-2007 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by vantt
My only hesitation is the warranty issue, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The warranty is provided by PCNA and not your local dealer. So just be aware that it doesn't matter how friendly your dealership is to mods or how close you think your relationship is with the service manager, it is not their call. The one's that tell you otherwise are usually the guys paid on commission. If the dealer's PiWiS computer is plugged into your car they won't even have the opportunity to lie on the warranty paperwork they are required to file with PCNA. And even if they could lie I don't think a single one would risk losing a warranty reimbursement no matter how small but especially for something like a $30k engine, etc.

Kevin 04-22-2007 02:25 AM

Crate engines are selling for $18-20K right now..

Duane993 04-22-2007 03:14 AM

A crate turbo motor for 18K-20K. Not a bad price. I'll assume that doesn't include externals (ie turbos, manifolds, thottle bodies, external drive components etc)

Kevin 04-22-2007 01:08 PM

The crate motor is complete with turbochargers and all aux components... It is a drop in engine, not a longblock.

jcb-memphis 04-22-2007 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by slant911
Hate to repeat but you must know that it has to be done :)

I went with UMW for all the same reasons as stated above. To add to that though I liked not having to take my ECU out and mail it to someone AND the idea of talking to the guy that writes the program as opposed to someone who just does a flash. Plus Kevin is a damn nice guy :biggulp:

+1

JB