Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good shop in LA to install B&M shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:44 PM
variable
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Good shop in LA to install B&M shifter?

Hello all,
I'm looking for a good shop in the Los Angeles area that distributes and installs the B&M shortshifter for the 996 turbo. From what I've read this should be a simple job, correct? Am I better off buying it from the source and then having the shop just do the installation? It would be great to find a shop that could perform a variety of minor modifications. Who do you guys use?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2002, 04:56 PM
NC Bob
Instructor

It's really a pretty simple DIY job. All you need is a set of metric sockets, torx and a screw driver. Did the job myself in about 30 minutes. Make sure you mark the shifter cables. If you still want a shop, your local P-Car dealer will do it for you. My dealer here in North Carolina wants $650 including the cost of the shifter.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
By Design on Robertson off the 10 freeway. I think they did the insatll manual for Porsche B&M SS. Ask for Daniel Bardavid, he is very knowledgeable about the 996tt. Dan Aspesi is the tech that usually does the installs.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:07 PM
variable
Advanced

Bob,
I've heard its pretty simple but I still wouldn't be comfortable doing it without help. I'd want to make sure it was done right.$650 sounds way high, I've heard around $350 from another source.

Oak,
thanks I'll definately give them a call. Do they do mostly cosmetic work or performance upgrades aswell?

cheers
Old 05-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
It's really easy, atleast for me it was. Upgrading to the Bailey DV's was easy for me also, but alot of guys had problems. If you can handle simple hand tools it's an easy job. If you like bring your turbo by, I can do it for you.

By Design does cosmetic and performance upgrades, they are working on a turbo upgrade for me at this moment. Great guys there, and are always service oriented. I would trust them.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:03 PM
variable
Advanced

Thanks Oak, I might take you up on that. I haven't bought the shifter yet. What are they doing to your turbos?

cheers

Quick Reply: Good shop in LA to install B&M shifter?