Sponsored by:

tread shredding off left front tire on 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 08:09 PM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tread shredding off left front tire on 996TT

Have new 996TT with about 1200 miles and have noticed small squares of tread coming off the front left tire. Pieces are about 1 inch square and have seen about 25 laying around the garage. Have not abused the car or squealled the tires. I think they are Pirelli P Zero's. Has anybody had this problem? Is it a problem? The other three tires seem okay. Have not noticed any defect in the left front but not sure what to look for. Do I need to so something? Help?
Old 08-15-2001, 05:44 PM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

A fellow p enthusiast suggested that the rubber-like fragments on the garage floor were from the copiously applied undercoating. The treads all look fine.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I don't remeber seeing "copious undercoating" when my car was on a lift recently. However, I was having trouble understanding how a tire would shed fragments in the garage. You would think that any pieces of rubber which might be dislodged from a faulty tire would fly off when the car was driven. Anyway, good luck at figuring this out. I seriously doubt that the tire is the source of the problem.

Quick Reply: tread shredding off left front tire on 996TT