Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 06:23 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 5,4,3,2,1Blast Off!

Mission Control; Abort, abort!!

You're going to love this story....

Well, yesterday evening about 6:15 I had the chance to drive my car on the freeway for the first time. I was going to a dinner meeting at Morton's by the way....

So, I roll onto the freeway onramp at Springdale and the 405. First off this little Toyota sedan gets in the way and sedately putt putts off into the distance. I wait two green lights to blast onto the freeway and prepare to throttle her off and just get it rolling when I see around the bend...A CHP! I immediately jump off the throttle and change meekly into second gear past the police cruiser (I stll don't have plates) and he starts up his car and assumes position just behind me. GROAN....

I run up into fourth gear and about sixty-five feeling that it makes no sense to be silly and attract attention by seeming to have something to hide. MY LUCK, the police car shadows me three off-ramps worth of processional traffic. The Toyota is Looong gone.

He finally turns off at about Brookhurst, I wonder why he followed me or maybe he wasn't even following?

When he's gone I check the mirror and floor the throttle without changing down from 4th. A half-tick of time and the boost comes on, oh my this car is quick. I am over 100 in a flash and blowing past cars that are now crawling.

Then....my offramp. So much for the motoring delights of Southern California at rush hour. On the way home it's on tip toes after one (honest) martini and my share of a bottle of Cabernet.