Sponsored by:

Mentioned in Dispatches

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 09:40 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mentioned in Dispatches

Believe it or not (sorry Ripley) I hadn't driven my TT since last Wednesday evening, and that was the short trip home from work. So, I recently bade a fond farewell to our friends from Texas and got to drive my car again. This time TO WORK, in other words about six miles or so. I've not even driven it on the freeway yet!

But, that wont stop a few impressions that have further emerged;

HIGH; this car sits "silly high" from an aesthetic point of view. I must thank whatever group or institute of our Federal/State/and local governments that made this jacked-up stance possible. This just has to go on the earlier "to-do" list.

TIRE NOISE; I notice that those fat (or is that PHAT) rear tires generate a lot of noise. I couldn't hear them over the exhaust of the 993.

SHIFT; seems notchy to me.

THROTTLE; not gotten this right yet. I haven't aggressively tried to "heel & toe" but the throttle action is different feeling somehow. It could be the e-gas or the turbo's. I'll need time here.

NO CUP HOLDERS; There is a Mocha spill somewhere in my future, I can feel it coming!

HANDLING; Too soon to really relate, the power would rescue you out of slow corners to be sure but I haven't leaned on the car hard yet. I'm still a bit intimidated honestly. The ride is firm.

FILL 'ER UP; Just bought my first full tank of gas. So far averaging about 12-13 miles per gallon, Yukon territory (sorry Sgt. Preston) without the cargo capacity.

SUBJECTIVE; This car is fantastic! It is drawing stares and everyone is asking me about it, like we just had a kid or something! Build quality, excellent or perhaps better.

Now at 157 miles and counting!

I'm still learning, bear with me through my tutalege.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:29 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HIGH; this car sits "silly high" from an aesthetic point of view. I must thank whatever group or institute of our Federal/State/and local governments that made this jacked-up stance possible. This just has to go on the earlier "to-do" list.
Gary, the car does settle about 1/2" as you put mileage on it, However, one of the things that makes it look 'silly high' is the camber of the front wheels. I have been told by a normally reliable source that US TT's are delivered with 0 degrees camber unloaded, and reach the recommended negative setting under a full load, whatever the factory determined that to be (2 people, and a full complement of luggage ?) It seems to be true just by looking. I'm still heading to a better looking (and handling Solution)No cup holders scored no points with my other half.

Robin
Old 07-31-2001, 12:47 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Garey: No cup holders? Did you (or someone) order them deleted? What happened to them?

My shifter seems notchy going into second gear. Much more so than NA 996's I've owned. I've not asked the service advisor to drive it yet, but expect to do so.

What color is your car?
Old 07-31-2001, 12:55 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Apologize for the color question - just saw you other post. Silver/black is hard to beat on these cars - remains my favorite, in terms of a car you will always feel good about. I owned multiple 996's, each of this same color, until changing to black for my 996TT.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:46 AM
Mike Schuster
AutoX

On the 1st to 2nd shift: try taking your foot off the gas faster and/or completely before shifting into 2nd. Or this, try doing a clutch in faster which will force you to get off the gas quicker.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:59 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Steve N., do you mean there are cup holders? I certainly wont earn my Sherlock Holmes Merit Badge! But I haven't even looked at the owners manual yet so I guess they may be there....Where oh where do they hide?

Robin, glad to hear about the settling. I have seen the Euro suspension set for sale on Gert's site and it looks very reasonably priced. But I've read elsewhere that the Euro is very, very, stiff which is of concern. Also of concern is the expertise available for these cars. For instance I wonder if Andial or the other top tuners/technicians have the data base and experience yet to change things on them at this point in time. Do the 996 chassis settings have application for the TT? I will read and learn more. In the meantime it's all so new.....

Mike, I'll try the shift technique you mention. It is a bit notchy and this may also smooth out with a bit of use. I'm only at 211 miles as of 20 minutes ago. I would still state that the shift action and throw is superior to my previous 993. I'd also state that the first gear synchro is a little easier to negotiate when changing down coming up to a rolling slow stop.

Ah well, learning more all the time. I have to find time to go through the owners manual!
Old 07-31-2001, 06:20 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Garey Cooper:
<STRONG>Robin, glad to hear about the settling. I have seen the Euro suspension set for sale on Gert's site and it looks very reasonably priced. But I've read elsewhere that the Euro is very, very, stiff which is of concern. Also of concern is the expertise available for these cars. For instance I wonder if Andial or the other top tuners/technicians have the data base and experience yet to change things on them at this point in time. Do the 996 chassis settings have application for the TT? I will read and learn more. In the meantime it's all so new.....</STRONG>
Garey, the ROW 996 Turbo suspension is not too stiff. It is very similar to the US setup. Also, there should be no problem changing suspensions on any 996 car right now. Several shops have done many without trouble at all.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:37 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Well, I've answered the cup holder question with due (or is that "dud") diligence. My car has the CD storage option in the center console where the cup holders would normally reside. I am certain it is possible to swap these out but I can't make up my mind about the virtues of one over the other. Or, is music really my cup of coffee?
Old 08-01-2001, 09:26 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Garey: You need to take another look for those cupholders. They are above the radio, under the center vents. See the picture on p. 111 of the owners manual. Re: ROW springs, I would be interested in hearing from others as to any issues with ground clearance. With lower ride height the front air dam will undoubtedly scrape a lot more - not a huge deal if everything else clears ok. Finally, no one has said it in this string of posts, but lay in a good supply of Mobil 1 - you will need it for the break-in. And check the oil frequently. Steve
Old 08-02-2001, 12:45 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No cupholders on my car, deleted by the PCM, but I thought all the others had them.

Robin

Quick Reply: Mentioned in Dispatches