Sponsored by:

Racing School? Barber or Panoz

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 11:06 AM
mykulh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Racing School? Barber or Panoz

I'm trying to decide between the Panoz Racing School at Sebring or Skip Barber at Daytona. Panoz is cheaper by $500; the Sebring track is longer; but I hear the open wheel cars at Barber are a lot of fun.
Any info would be appreciated.

MH996TT
Old 03-12-2002, 12:22 PM
VS
Instructor

Thumbs up

I did Skip Barber in 2000. Don't know anything about Panoz, so my view is naturaly biased.

Skippy is a really good course. Formula cars allow the instructor to see every mistake you make. Also they respond to your inputs very directly, you can see and feel what each wheel is doing at any moment and that helps to understand things like threshold braking, TTO and TBO right away

Also, IMHO, you don't need a very complicated or a very long track for the school as long as it has a good combination of turns.

Did I mentioned that the Skippy instructors were pretty amazing?
Old 03-12-2002, 12:48 PM
mykulh
AutoX

Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VS:
[QB]I did Skip Barber in 2000. Don't know anything about Panoz, so my view is naturaly biased.

Thanks for the reply. Which course did you take the class on?
Old 03-12-2002, 12:56 PM
VS
Instructor

Arrow

I did it at Lime Rock, CT. Not very long track but it has a good combination of turns and elevation changes to be "just right".
Old 03-13-2002, 10:30 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
I did Barber at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Road Atlanta is a difficult course with a hair raising turn entering the front straight that is like no other. If you plan to race there, the experience would be worthwhile. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of time learning a course which won't do you much good.
The handling characteristics of the formula ford may relate more to Porsche than the front engined Panoz. I have no Panoz experience, but my Barber experience was excellent.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:25 AM
mykulh
AutoX

Talking

Yes, Road America is great. I did a PCA Drivers Ed there twice last year. But I'd like to drive other courses and also don't want to wait another month or so before Barber comes north. Thanks, however, for the recommendation.

MH 996TT
Old 04-15-2002, 06:25 PM
mykulh
AutoX

Talking

Thanks for the responses. I ended up going to the Panoz School at Sebring and am glad I did. The track; the instruction; and the Panoz GT were all first rate. I couldn't imagine a better overall experience!
Old 04-17-2002, 01:10 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
going to 3 day skip school at Laguna Seca in May (excuse me Mazda Laguna Seca) and I just talked to Panoz and Bondurant representatives this weekend at the Long Beach Grand Prix Expo. Everyone kind of angles against Skip because they are on top....more seat time, more affordable etc.

I have been waiting to go to the 3 day school for more than 2 years...missed last years 9/12 date for obvious reasons.

Other than Jim Hall cart class this will be my first experience and I wanted it to be the best.

Quick Reply: Racing School? Barber or Panoz