Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:11 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 996/TT Engine Rebuild Costs?

Howdy Folks!

[Haven't posted in a while]

Still thinking about a 996/TT as my next vehicle - given that I love to tinker and will not leave a car stock, my biggest concern has not been he cost of entry, +but+ the potential cost if something happens catastrophic.

I'm currently from the world of LSx platform cars ('03 Z06) where a complete shortblock would run you $2800, and a fully built/forged larger CI motor (like a stroked LS2, 402CI) can be had for $4500. Top ends range from $2-4K depending on particulars (rockers, valves, port work, etc.).

I was considering an FI solution for some fun with the current car knowing that even with a pro install and tune, there's always the possibility of a misstep that could cost you a motor rebuild.

Assuming a decent shop (I'm in N. Florida) and reasonable cost for parts + something like a bad detonation/sudden lean condition, what's the going rate for a TT engine rebuild (assuming the crank/rods are reusable, block can be honed/cleaned up, valvetrain is mostly intact)?

I realize this is a *very* open ended question since the exact level of damage is impossible to predict.

I guess I'm trying to determine if I'm running around with a "common" aftermarket setup like ECU, DV, Exhaust, Intake, or possibly even upgraded turbos (K16/24 hybrids, Stage III, etc.), and something does go wrong, what kind of costs have people reported? Talking a car in the 600[FW]HP range that I don't think does things like bend rods (like some of the super high HP cars).

Is this a $30K mistake waiting to happen?

Can a good Porsche shop do a cylinder cleanup, install new pistons/rings, replace valves/guides, and get you out the door for under $10K??

Thanks as always!

DT
Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

I believe that I asked this question to Stephen at Imagine Auto.." what does a rebuild on a TT motor run" and he quoted $7,900. Stephen should be queried on exactly what that includes and I do not want to speak for him....
Old 03-31-2006, 02:57 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JPschnitzer: I would thnk $7,900 would be on the low end. I have no experience with a full rebuild though. I have read on then 993TT boards and you it seems would be lucky to get the rebuild for less than $15K. Heck an engine drop is quoted as a ~12 hr job. That's at least $1200 in labor right there if your shop charges $100/hr.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:36 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends on what you want done. It is all about what the owner is planning on doing and what he wants for the future.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Stephen,
Kind of like remodeling a home and all the
"might as well as" and pretty soon I was selling my Porsche to
afford all the things I didnt even know I needed!!

Marty
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, exactly. Build so you only do it once. Even if you say I will never do that....LOL, and so here we sit
Old 03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

DT40R

You can't use your Chevy building and dollar formula's (please realize that many of us Detroit iron motor experience in past lives) to relate to the cost's involved with the Porsche. The tools alone to rebuild the 996TT engine is around $4,500.. Most shops don't even have them yet. If your the first one inline to get your engine rebuilt, your definately contributing to the cost of the tools in your rebuild. If you want to see expensive parts, go and price out the 15K service on a 360 Modena... The average cost for a shop that has rebuilt the 996TT engine or GT3 engine is around $6500 for a low to 15K.. Rods and special valvetrain items are not included.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:33 PM
red993tt
Racer

Why are you worrying about rebuilding a less than 5 yo car. Do your homework and find a reliable tuning package that does not take short cut and have fun. 600hp is an everyday upgrade for the 996tt.

Last edited by red993tt; 03-31-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:55 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Seems like it's more reasonable that I might have suspected - I also understand the premium (vs. the LSx design) that a higher end car, with more specialized knowledge/tool requirements might incur.

red993tt - Just factoring in the total ownership picture, +IF+ something were to go wrong.

I owned a ~750HP Supra that used the nearly bullet proof 2JZ-GTE motor and was setup and tuned by one of the more well known shops in the US, using the best of everything. But you what? A $1 fuse on a fuel pump goes out during a 30PSI run and it could mean a new motor (and certainly, I wasn't going to lug in a car in my state of modification for warranty work!). However I knew the 2JZ longblock cost, and it was easily something I could factor in.

I do understand that the 996/TT with <= 600HP is a very reliable package, and *very* unlikely to give me any problems, even with that pretty stout bump in HP.

Thanks again to everyone, and keep the info ~flowing~
Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look at the EVO web site for there upgraded motor rebuilds. Remember todays problem is tomorrows upgrade.
Me personally, if/when my engine needs a rebuild that is when I take it to the next level. Thats were you will start to see exponential costs depending on how much power you want.
So consider a stock rebuild with external mods vs "going all the way" when the engine really needs it.
I have read many posts and cant remember someone posting "Oh my Gosh!!!! Just blew up my modded engine, I need a rebuild"
If others have had that experience, they can add to this thread.
Seems like right now you are too worried about "what ifs" and with this car I doubt they will come true.

Good luck in your car search
Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can a good Porsche shop do a cylinder cleanup, install new pistons/rings, replace valves/guides, and get you out the door for under $10K??

If you find one, let me know. My guess, you are looking at $ 20K+ and thats the low side. 24 valves verses 16 makes the cost go up. More labor, more parts, more money.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer

If you find one, let me know. My guess, you are looking at $ 20K+ and thats the low side. 24 valves verses 16 makes the cost go up. More labor, more parts, more money.
Are you serious? Its a Porsche, not an unobtanium spaceship.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I am not kidding. He asked for new Pistons, Rings, replace the Valves and Guides and I guess head work as replacing Guides requires the Seats to be redone etc. And labor. It adds up fast. Having done this, or paid to have it done, I know exactly what it costs.

Kidding, Im not.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I built a 4.5L 928 engine for 5k. New pistons, and all wear items, including a balance of the assembly. Rebuilt heads, upgraded intake.

I'm at 6k for my 5.0L now, but that includes drilled crank, new valves with the head rebuilds, piston coatings, and 400 for the crank scraper system.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:42 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These figures seem like a bargain...for my '88 3.2 I was quoted $8-10k for a top end rebuild ONLY by a reputable Porsche shop here in the Dallas area.

Quick Reply: 996/TT Engine Rebuild Costs?