Old 10-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Gustav
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

I'm battling with this desire to consolidate my Explorer (that meets may daily needs including 4 seats) and my Turbo (that meets my speed needs) into one vehicle and get the M5.

I just can't do it though. I love the Turbo too much. lol
But, that being said, I'm on the verge of it. That M5 is just sweet IMO.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=Gustav]

I agree with you that the M6 is not the prettiest car around, but see the M5 in real life and I am sure you will like it. What is wrong with this Hartge M5:

QUOTE]

Take any midsize Pontiac from the last 15 years and dress it up in Japanese Kabuki make-up and costume and you've got the BMW 5 series. I've had 3 x 3 series and 2 x 5 series, and I'll not be going back to BMW anytime soon. My 2002 E39 540i was a smooth understated classic. The new 5'er makes me puke.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled progamming.....
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I am a little surprised in the lack of interest in this link.
I think it is always fun when you get that many great cars together
in one place. (even if you only get info mainly from the m5 driver).
A Gallardo, Mildly modified Techart 996TT, a couple of SC E55 Mercs,
and then the Ruf CTR (amazing how an old car like that can blow everyone
away). Anyway what's not to like guys ??? What am I missing (as a
car guy)?
MK
Old 10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

This is hilarious! A thread is started with the point being that a bone stock sedan from the competition is able to beat the Porsche Turbo in a straight line. I personally find that pretty amazing. So what does everyone here do? They attempt to turn the debate to the looks of the car or the handling of the car or the basic philosophy in buying a car. Sour grapes maybe?

Hmmm … let’s not loose sight of what’s important here. A BONE STOCK SEDAN PRODUCED BY THE COMPETITION BEAT A PORSHE TURBO IN A STRIAGHT LINE! Wow. What else need be said?

Anyway, I hope this has a positive effect. If BMW can put this much power in a sedan, let’s hope that Porsche gets the message and ups the power in the 997 Turbo. I say competition is a good thing.

Stephen
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by FixedWing
A BONE STOCK SEDAN PRODUCED BY THE COMPETITION BEAT A PORSHE TURBO IN A STRIAGHT LINE! Wow. What else need be said?
And a Volvo V70R is as fast as a 930 Turbo 0-60, and in the quarter mile.

The non-X50 996 Turbo is Porsche's "old" technology...I would fully expect the newest releases from several of the manufacturers to have more technology and horsepower...it's no surprise *at all* that they're as fast as a 996 Turbo given the horsepower wars and the length of time it's been since the Turbo's release.

Did you think that 415 hp was some magic limit that no other manufacturer was ever allowed to exceed? Is the 996 Turbo supposed to be the "fastest" FOREVER...on 415 hp??

I thought the new BMW's were ugly long before this thread...still do. I didn't care about their performance before this thread...and I still don't.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:59 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
And a Volvo V70R is as fast as a 930 Turbo 0-60, and in the quarter mile.

The non-X50 996 Turbo is Porsche's "old" technology...I would fully expect the newest releases from several of the manufacturers to have more technology and horsepower...it's no surprise *at all* that they're as fast as a 996 Turbo given the horsepower wars and the length of time it's been since the Turbo's release.

Did you think that 415 hp was some magic limit that no other manufacturer was ever allowed to exceed? Is the 996 Turbo supposed to be the "fastest" FOREVER...on 415 hp??

I thought the new BMW's were ugly long before this thread...still do. I didn't care about their performance before this thread...and I still don't.
A V70R is current production. The 930 is decidedly not. Granted that the 996 Turbo is out of production but we still don't have a 997 Turbo so it is the latest offering from Porsche. I think it is quite something that a stock M6 will beat it. I think the looks of the car are irrelevant to that.

Really what I was commenting on was the obvious unwillingness to discuss the issue on the table and to give credit where credit is due. It is a damned good performance from BMW to have a production sedan out there that is able to beat a Turbo.

And no, for a variety of reasons I wouldn't pick the M6 over the Turbo either.

Stephen
Old 10-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This is hilarious! A thread is started with the point being that a bone stock sedan from the competition is able to beat the Porsche Turbo in a straight line.
First of all, that "race" is BS. At no time did I see a massive increase in acceleration that comes when the turbos kick in

In the second "race", the TT is actually leading at the start, when we all know it takes time for the turbos to kick in

And finally, you can't convince me that a heavy M6 (and all BMWs are very weightly) can beat a TT by 8-10 car lengths

The poster wanted to have some fun by getting a friend to sandbag it to make his car look good.

And the poster himself was the one putting up pics of the new Pontiac Sunfire so he started the "damn this car is ugly" debate

Just causing trouble...call him Icarus jr
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shark
First of all, that "race" is BS. At no time did I see a massive increase in acceleration that comes when the turbos kick in

In the second "race", the TT is actually leading at the start, when we all know it takes time for the turbos to kick in

And finally, you can't convince me that a heavy M6 (and all BMWs are very weightly) can beat a TT by 8-10 car lengths
I agree. The 0-60 time for the M6 is 4.6 seconds. For the Turbo it was 3.8 if I remember correctly. I'd expect the non-turbo engine to have a car length advantage because of the turbos. But then the Turbo should be faster than the M6. It should have the advantage at the higher speeds I would think.

Anyway, nice to deal with the topic on point.

I still think BMW has done a good job in making the car perform as well as it does.

Stephen
Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Really what I was commenting on was the obvious unwillingness to discuss the issue on the table and to give credit where credit is due.
Around here there are many Mustangs, Cameros, and other American "iron" that will lay waste to the Turbo, or for that matter the C6Z. Huge engines and fast cars have been away of life around here for *years*. Dig deal...what's there to discuss about it?

And this "credit where credit is due" thing. Is that something that a manufacturer looks for to validate it's design and engineering? Or is it something an owner has to have before he has confidence in his purchase decision?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
Around here there are many Mustangs, Cameros, and other American "iron" that will lay waste to the Turbo, or for that matter the C6Z. Huge engines and fast cars have been away of life around here for *years*. Dig deal...what's there to discuss about it?

And this "credit where credit is due" thing. Is that something that a manufacturer looks for to validate it's design and engineering? Or is it something an owner has to have before he has confidence in his purchase decision?
The Detroit iron you talk about was notorious for not having the suspension or brakes to handle the power. Sure, heavily modified versions could be pretty good but out-of-the-box they weren't. I think we can be pretty sure that the BMW is able to handle its power.

"Credit where credit is due" simply means being willing to acknowledge facts for what they are. It has nothing to do with validation or confidence. We are not talking about self promotion but rather recognition by others.

Stephen
Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Detroit iron you talk about was notorious for not having the suspension or brakes to handle the power.
The cars I'm talking about are not stock.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:31 PM
thomas
Instructor

Yuck.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This new Chrysler Sebring looks.......wait is that a BMW roundel

Can we move this to the "general" forum? This topic has never had anything to do with 996TTs, just a poser trying to generate publicity for himself.

Wait a minute....have you ever seen Gustav (Hawk) and Chris Bangle together? Holy crap, this is actually Bangle trying to convince people these designs don't suck

Quick Reply: Vide0: BMW M6 vs. 911 Turbo (996)