Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors...is the Valentine 1 a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Rams86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detectors...is the Valentine 1 a waste of money?

I'm looking to install a radar detector in my '03 TT X50. Is the Valentine 1 a decent choice or is it a complete waste of money? Does anyone have any thoughts or can you recommend a better way to go? Also, would you hard wire or not?

Thanks -
Brad
Seattle, WA
Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 AM
msb2tg
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rams86
I'm looking to install a radar detector in my '03 TT X50. Is the Valentine 1 a decent choice or is it a complete waste of money? Does anyone have any thoughts or can you recommend a better way to go? Also, would you hard wire or not?

Thanks -
Brad
Seattle, WA
I have one and it's great, saved me lots of times! worth the mone in my opinion. hardwire or not,it's up to you, i have it plugged so i can move it from one car to another, i may get another one and just hardwire this to my 996, cleaner look.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:12 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

V1? can't live without it!

I have a DIY hard wire in the link in my Sig.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:11 AM
collin996tt
Advanced

I have a V1 in my head. It came free. Got me out of trouble many times.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:18 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the V1 is 2 cars. Worth every cent. Hardwire it so it goes on with the ignition. It will drain your battery in 2 days if you just plug it in and forget to turn it off. AS
Old 07-27-2005, 08:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I also have V1's hardwired in 2 vehicles. Wouldn't consider any other kind of detector, product and service/ugrades are just that good.

(BTW, you could always ask Mike Valentine himself; he is a rennlist member and currently has a Signal Yellow Carrera GT (only one in that color in the world) and a Lapis Blue 996TT Cab)...
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

V1 IS A MUST HAVE !
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Gilhart 54
Instructor

V1 is the best! The directional arrows and great advanced warning are what I like about it.

Rick
Old 07-27-2005, 11:09 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with everyone, my V1 has saved me several times. Take the time to hardwire it in, it looks better and you can still use it with the coil cord and suction cups in other cars.

There are a few links that will help you. Go to the rennlist search and look for "hardwired Valentine". You'll get more information than you care to read.

Remember, even a V1 isn't a great defense against "instant on" radar.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

The V1 is a great detector - the bogey counter and directional arrows are what really set it apart from the other brands.

The key to using a radar detector is to remember that it's just one of many tools you can use to help you have as much situational awareness as possible - it won't save you all of the time. In a single-car encounter against an officer properly using instant-on radar or laser, the detector is useful only in telling you that the officer has measured your speed.

I don't have my V1 hardwired - I have it on suction cups mounted as low as I can in the center of the windshield, and plug it into the lighter for power.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Woodster
Drifting

V1 is a must. why? directional arrows
I suction mine high on the windshield just to the right of my in the window antennae.
Mk
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

My V1 has saved me NUMEROUS times! It's not gonna catch every cop every time, but it does work very well!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:07 PM
joolsbourne
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Passport 8500 is worth a look too. I've had mine for a couple of years and it was been very good.
Of course I have points for an instant on capture! As someone has already stated, nothing will prevent that.
Ref the location. I always understood that it was better to put it low in the windshield as it is better aligned with the signal that it's trying to pick-up. That always made sense to me?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by joolsbourne
Ref the location. I always understood that it was better to put it low in the windshield as it is better aligned with the signal that it's trying to pick-up.
In terms of laser (due to the laser's beamwidth), the closer the detector is to the officers "aim" point, the better the chance it has of picking up the laser's energy. Officers normally aim at either the front license plate (if there is one), or one of the headlights. Your best hope in a laser encounter is to be along the line of sight of the laser to the targeted car ahead of you. That way any stray laser energy (though it doesn't produce much stray energy, since the beamwidth is so small and there isn't much spreading of the signal going on) or poor aim by the officer might trigger a response from your detector and allow time for you to slow down before the officer actually targets your car. In a single car encounter your only real hope is that the officer's aim is bad (or that his hand isn't steady) and he wanders around a bit with the beam. In this case, the closer the detector is to the headlight(s) or front license plate the better your chances of detecting the signal. In a single car encounter, if the officer's aim is good, and he waits until you're well within range, you're toast.

With radar, there really isn't any advantage to having the detector low on the windshield. Police radars have a 3 degree beamwidth, and at 0.5 miles the radar's beamwidth covers a circular area that's over 140 feet in diameter. If your detector is anywhere inside that area, it will alert.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:41 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 351 Posts

Have 2 V1s and have been happy with them so far.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors...is the Valentine 1 a waste of money?