Sponsored by:

Car covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 06:40 PM
bschen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Car covers?

Anyone out there have recommendations on a car cover? My car would be indoors. I saw from Perfomance Products that they have a indoor cotton cover. Per the salesperson it is the thickest and would best protect against dings and scratches from my kids' toys. Anyone have any input?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought the Porsche Factory cover, because it fit with the factory aero kit option. I like it, but the mirror covers seem too snug. I expect that area to eventually fail. regards,
Steve
Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Fantod
Advanced

I highly recommend the Dustop cover by www.covercraft.com
It is thick , soft, fits well , and made for indoors.
I had one for a C2 Coupe and now another for my TT Cab.
PM me if you want any more info.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:23 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I use the factory silver cover 5 days a week. It fits and works well. It doesnt keep moisture or water out. I dont know about any others.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I use the factory silver cover.

Even if you get the thickest cover available, you can still easily get paint damage if kids are allowed around the car without supervision.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Nothing will prevent dings. A bike slipping onto your door is gonna dent regardless. Scratches, yes ok. Dust, yeah. I would keep toys, ladders, tools, etc... away from the car if possible. I use a cotton cover. Very gentle on the paint. Bugs love it too. (dont ask...) Oh, and mine is the Performance Products one too.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:13 AM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

The best I have found are made in Italy by a company called Andrea. They make the fitted ones Ferrari supplies for the 360, but also make covers for the TT, in a choice of colors with the Porsche logo on the hood. They are made from a flame-proof material, so it can be put on a hot car. I got mine from Gert at Carnewal.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:02 AM
the_Wolf
Advanced

I use the factory silver cover (outdoor), with the car parked in a dry, underground garage 6 days a week - great for keeping dust off of the car. No idea how well it works when exposed to the elements, but the fit is excellent and I haven't noticed any increase in scratches, etc., since I started using it about 4 months ago (probably wouldn't notice anyways since I wax twice a month). Probably no protection whatsoever from contact dings, etc., but I don't think any cover provides much protection from that. Cotton cover would probably be slightly more gentle on the finish if you are removing frequently. Overall I am very pleased with the results. BTW - I got mine from Performance Products.......price was on par with most other aftermarket suppliers.

- John
Old 09-29-2004, 04:58 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Get the Euro factory car cover....
Get the part number from Porsche UK's website...Best indoor cover IMO
Old 09-29-2004, 02:20 PM
acourvil
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_Wolf
I use the factory silver cover (outdoor), with the car parked in a dry, underground garage 6 days a week - great for keeping dust off of the car. No idea how well it works when exposed to the elements, but the fit is excellent and I haven't noticed any increase in scratches, etc., since I started using it about 4 months ago (probably wouldn't notice anyways since I wax twice a month).
The factory silver cover is crap if exposed to the elements. It does not keep water out. After 6 months, mine has begun deteriorating rapidily, with multiple tears in assorted places. The material is disintegrating. Before it started deteriorating, it was very sensitive to moisture in the air: on a hot, dry day, it was very tight on the car; on a cool, humid day, it was loose. The factory car cover is definitely not something I would recommend for outdoor use.

I do have a weatherguard cover from covercraft that I use for my BMW. It's a lighter material than the Porsche cover, but is more weatherproof and has not deteriorated at all in the same period that the Porsche cover has disintegrated. It does not have padding arounf the corners like the Porsche cover, but overall I would say it is a much better cover.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:49 PM
the_Wolf
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by acourvil
The factory silver cover is crap if exposed to the elements. It does not keep water out. After 6 months, mine has begun deteriorating rapidily....
Well, that's some information that will serve valuable should I ever need to put her outside for any period of time.....looks like I'll be buying a better quality cover should I ever need to store outside. I had a feeling that this would be the case when I bought it - despite the fact that it is marketed as an outdoor cover, it just doesn't look tough enough to stand up to that application.....

- John
Old 09-29-2004, 08:05 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I have the Tan flannel indoor cover from www.griots.com. Here's the desc from their website:

TAN FLANNEL FOR INDOOR PROTECTION
I like to use this car cover when storing vehicles indoors. The soft, napped flannel underside is gentle to your car's paint, and its thickness (over 50% heavier than polycotton covers) guards against accidental bumps and scratches, the flannel is breathable, allowing heat to escape from under the cover. Available in tan.

I have one for a 01 Turbo without the aerokit. If you want it make me an offer, it's as new and I don't need it anymore.

Roy

ps. Here's a link to their covers:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....2500&SKU=92410
Old 04-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by JayM
The best I have found are made in Italy by a company called Andrea. They make the fitted ones Ferrari supplies for the 360, but also make covers for the TT, in a choice of colors with the Porsche logo on the hood. They are made from a flame-proof material, so it can be put on a hot car. I got mine from Gert at Carnewal.
Anyone know how much the cover from Carnewal costs? They don't have pricing on their website?
Old 04-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by RWO
I have the Tan flannel indoor cover from www.griots.com. Here's the desc from their website:

TAN FLANNEL FOR INDOOR PROTECTION
I like to use this car cover when storing vehicles indoors. The soft, napped flannel underside is gentle to your car's paint, and its thickness (over 50% heavier than polycotton covers) guards against accidental bumps and scratches, the flannel is breathable, allowing heat to escape from under the cover. Available in tan.

I have one for a 01 Turbo without the aerokit. If you want it make me an offer, it's as new and I don't need it anymore.

Roy

ps. Here's a link to their covers:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....2500&SKU=92410
Anybody else use Tan Flannel?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:01 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a Dustop from Covercraft:

http://www.covercraft.com/dustop%AE.htm

Of course this is only for indoor use, but it does not scratch and does a nice job of keeping dust out (and occasionally the damn cat prints...anybody want a siamese?). It is a good custom fit. I would not buy anything from G..ots!

Quick Reply: Car covers?