Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024, 09:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

I have not heard of any wastegate actuators causing issues. I have replaced torn or leaking actuator diaphragms or broken wastegate springs and used these repair rings.
One can always install "stock" actuators.. Most likely your exhaust will need to be also changed out back to stock.

Old 09-21-2024, 11:29 PM
JBear
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=2fcknfst;19658062]I don't think the turbos above would fail any type of visual inspection - they are in fact K24s...[/Q

In my actual experience in southern california, having dealt with the smog referee, they are looking for factory part numbers on the headers, exhaust, and turbos. The pictures in this thread have all the factory part numbers removed from the turbo housing. It could lead to questions, I suppose it could depend on various factors, what other mods you have, whether they can detect if your ECU is tuned, what kind of mood they are in etc. Key is to stay away from the smog referee.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

So if your car came with K16's, but now you have K24's they'd have a problem with that?
Old 09-23-2024, 11:25 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
So if your car came with K16's, but now you have K24's they'd have a problem with that?
K24's on a K16 or with upgraded WG's most likely will not get noticed as Kevin chimed in. Exhausts/y-pipes ect that scream "tuner car" seem to attract that attention.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:28 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,190 Likes on 3,169 Posts

[QUOTE=JBear;19659882]
Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I don't think the turbos above would fail any type of visual inspection - they are in fact K24s...[/Q

In my actual experience in southern california, having dealt with the smog referee, they are looking for factory part numbers on the headers, exhaust, and turbos. The pictures in this thread have all the factory part numbers removed from the turbo housing. It could lead to questions, I suppose it could depend on various factors, what other mods you have, whether they can detect if your ECU is tuned, what kind of mood they are in etc. Key is to stay away from the smog referee.
Seems like a very 'fair' and 'objective' exercise.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:29 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 299 Posts

The hard thing might be getting away with injectors. If you had to swap back and forth every time you get checked would be a nightmare. Swapping my exhaust back and forth every 2 years was enough for me. In Idaho this place is so right wing they did away with all emissions a few years ago lol. I do see some cars around that shouldn't be on the road though so a mixed bag for sure.

Last edited by Bernard IV; 09-23-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:18 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

That's why I didn't do injectors, just the 5 bar fpr. Colorado is a CARB state and from what I've heard is checking certain cars for tunes, like the late model VW/Audi/Subaru's. I wanted my car to be as stock looking as possible and be able to run on the stock map if needed. Hence the Europipe exhaust, Cobb tuner (which does have CARB legal tunes) and stock injectors...
Old 09-24-2024, 02:39 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
The hard thing might be getting away with injectors. If you had to swap back and forth every time you get checked would be a nightmare. Swapping my exhaust back and forth every 2 years was enough for me. In Idaho this place is so right wing they did away with all emissions a few years ago lol. I do see some cars around that shouldn't be on the road though so a mixed bag for sure.
Wonder if the Cobb tuners could scale the stage 0 map to work w/ bigger injectors?

That's why I didn't do injectors, just the 5 bar fpr. Colorado is a CARB state and from what I've heard is checking certain cars for tunes, like the late model VW/Audi/Subaru's. I wanted my car to be as stock looking as possible and be able to run on the stock map if needed. Hence the Europipe exhaust, Cobb tuner (which does have CARB legal tunes) and stock injectors...
Do the X50/GT2 have larger injectors than the Turbo?

Does the stock map not need to be re-scaled for the 5 bar to idle properly?
Old 09-24-2024, 06:11 PM
JBear
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm able to run the stock map with 60 lb injectors and stock FPR, I have done this on 2 occassions for smog purposes. Obviously not the best solution, flash to stock, go straight to testing facility, flash back immediately when I get home, 15 miles or so rouundtrip.

The new Protomotive tune is supposed to work fine in CA as is, I will try it next go around. I've been playing it saffe the last couple of times and just flashing to stock.

Last edited by JBear; 09-24-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 06:48 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by JBear
I'm able to run the stock map with 60 lb injectors and stock FPR, I have done this on 2 occassions for smog purposes. Obviously not the best solution, flash to stock, go straight to testing facility, flash back immediately when I get home, 15 miles or so rouundtrip.

The new Protomotive tune is supposed to work fine in CA as is, I will try it next go around. I've been playing it saffe the last couple of times and just flashing to stock.
I got away with this once but the second time I tried it kept throwing codes, no idea why. I wound up paying Protomotive for an emissions tune.
Old 09-24-2024, 09:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtec_
Wonder if the Cobb tuners could scale the stage 0 map to work w/ bigger injectors?

Can no longer do this due to the green tuning initiative, and the feds coming down on the tuners.

Everyone who plugs there pre green Cobb into the Internet will automatically lose all their non emissions compliance and will automatically be switched back to compliance.

No cats? Engine light.

No secondary air pump? Engine light....

Governance is killing the tuning industry.

Do the X50/GT2 have larger injectors than the Turbo?

No.

Does the stock map not need to be re-scaled for the 5 bar to idle properly?
Yes.
Old 09-25-2024, 10:49 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I disagree with governance killing tuning. These laws have been on the books for nearly 50 years, it's always been illegal to delete emissions equipment. The tuners can still do tunes that meet the letter of the law. If you feel the need to delete cats on your street car, (why?) then you get to deal with the consequences
The following users liked this post:
Jupp (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 10:54 AM
Jupp
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Same here in germany. You can pass the emissions test with a decent tune. But if you think you have to delete the cats that is not possible anymore.
Depite the smells for the others who stand outside the car if you drive without them.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:07 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I disagree with governance killing tuning. These laws have been on the books for nearly 50 years, it's always been illegal to delete emissions equipment. The tuners can still do tunes that meet the letter of the law. If you feel the need to delete cats on your street car, (why?) then you get to deal with the consequences
What I mean is there is no consistency with the rules; Alberta does not require cats, BC stopped enforcing emissions when they killed AirCare, and all of these vehicles are legal to go into the states.

As the Cali guys are noting, visual inspections seem to be somewhat subjective and will get a pass/fail depending on the mood of the inspector.

Cobb got absolutely pummeled by the feds and had to sell, they couldn't afford the fine. SCT had similar problems in the diesel world, but you can still buy bully dog tuners in Canada that modify emissions equipment, or even delete it completely.

And with all this going on for us consumers, there are zero restrictions on airplanes, and limited restrictions on marine vessels, both industries produce immense amounts of carbon into the atmosphere.

All of this chaos is based on governance, and focusing on what looks good (going after the tuners) versus what should be done, going after marine and aerospace companies.

In Canada, you can buy a frame, new, from Kenworth, Peterbilt, Western Star, etc., and legally put a pre emissions motor in it...

Hypocrisy at its peak.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:28 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Is the SAI pump really restrictive though? I thought it was just for cold startups?

You can run straight pipes with o2 extenders if you really have too..

It's pretty awesome one can make 550-600 whp on these cars and still be obd2 compliant.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks K24 build/testing process