Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows go partial down on their own? Weird electrical issue

Old 06-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Windows go partial down on their own? Weird electrical issue

So I have a vampire drawing power somewhere. Battery dies. I charge it up. After a while, all 4 windows go halfway down on their own! I heard a very subtle clicking near the rear passenger wheel well, Anybody have this problem? Happened twicw now.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Cpz61
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door springs

Sometimes the springs to the door opener, interior. As you know the windows drop when you pull to open. Not a bunch but just enough to equalize the cabin pressure. So the springs on the interior can wear out. Try closing the door a make sure the window goes back up after you close the door. If the window stays down the interior lights can stay on and its easy enough to not notice. Temp fix, before closing the door push the handle in completely and close the door slowly. Make sure the window goes up and the interior lights shut off. Or am I completely missing the issue? Lol

The solution is to change out the spring. It's pretty cheap too

Last edited by Cpz61; 06-22-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Oops forgot the solution
Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

This is often a byproduct of dying/dead battery. Find the drain and fix it. How old is the battery?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Battery is only 2 years old but who knows could be bad. I'll try a new battery.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cpz61
Sometimes the springs to the door opener, interior. As you know the windows drop when you pull to open. Not a bunch but just enough to equalize the cabin pressure. So the springs on the interior can wear out. Try closing the door a make sure the window goes back up after you close the door. If the window stays down the interior lights can stay on and its easy enough to not notice. Temp fix, before closing the door push the handle in completely and close the door slowly. Make sure the window goes up and the interior lights shut off. Or am I completely missing the issue? Lol

The solution is to change out the spring. It's pretty cheap too
Yeah thanks but thats not the problem
Old 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Happens when my battery dies or I when I replaced it. With a charged or new battery, "resyncing" the windows helps. Turn on car, roll window all the way down then up, then down and it's set. Weirdly, one time, I had to do it twice!? I'm not sure what the clicking would be--because if it were a window regulator, then they wouldn't all go down symmetrically.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpz61
As you know the windows drop when you pull to open. Not a bunch but just enough to equalize the cabin pressure.
I think they drop to clear the rubber molding. Dropping a bit allows the window to then rise and inset into the rubber grove, providing a much tighter seal than would otherwise be available.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I think they drop to clear the rubber molding. Dropping a bit allows the window to then rise and inset into the rubber grove, providing a much tighter seal than would otherwise be available.
As I was told by a Porsche engineer, the purpose is as stated above to equalize internal/external pressure. This is thought to improve the reliability of the mechanical systems. Mercedes does the same thing. Although Dock's point seems valid to me as well.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
As I was told by a Porsche engineer, the purpose is as stated above to equalize internal/external pressure. This is thought to improve the reliability of the mechanical systems. Mercedes does the same thing. Although Dock's point seems valid to me as well.
Regarding pressure relief, this should occur the first opportunity for pressure to move into or out of the interior of the car when the window-to-rubber seal is broken regardless of whether or not the seal is achieved by side pressure (side of the window in contact with the side of the rubber molding, in the "traditional" manner) or by top pressure (top of the window pressed into the rubber molding channel, as is the case with our design). In both cases, as soon as there is adequate room for the pressure to equalize it will equalize. The contact method doesn't matter. However, the contact method does matter if water tightness and wind noise reduction matter to the engineer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windows go partial down on their own? Weird electrical issue