Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found this on my trans drain. Am I ****ed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
curious why you are changing the trani fluid after only 6k miles? Are there any alternatives to the Porsche trani fluid? pretty expensive stuff here in Canada.
I use Royal Purple. Cost @ $20 ish a qt. I just changed mine as well. Had maybe 15k on mine and shifting was just a little off. Now much smoother. Cheap maintenance.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You know what, it does look similar. My ball is completely shiny and clean though. Here's another pic.

Originally Posted by s65e90
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by T Kono
Man those ***** took a pounding. The one found on the drain plug seems in perfect condition......
Yes, that confuses me as well.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
You know what, it does look similar. My ball is completely shiny and clean though. Here's another pic.

Looks like it may be related to the reverse spring >>

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/p...-sleeve/P72363
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 PM
SOS
Pro

curious why you are changing the trani fluid after only 6k miles? Are there any alternatives to the Porsche trani fluid? pretty expensive stuff here in Canada.
I'm putting in Motul Gear 300 right now. It's $20 per L here at Lordco. I was changing it to get ready for track season. I usually change it out once or twice per year depending on how much track time the car sees.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

My 2 cents.

The shavings on the plug, totally normal, no worries.

The ball bearing does look just like the ones used in the reverse spring and a few other places in the trans. I think it is the 5mm from the first or second gear guide sleeve

But because it has no wear on it at all I think it was lost in the case during the reassembly and replaced with another. It just happen to show up on the plug at this fluid change. Also no worries.

In conclusion, if the trans still works keep driving, no worries.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM
SOS
Pro

It does look about right. It also doesn't look like an easy fix lol. Damn.

Originally Posted by s65e90
Looks like it may be related to the reverse spring >>

Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 PM
SOS
Pro

Thanks for the encouraging words. I do find it weird that the trans has been working fine. I think I will start it and drive it around for a test. Hopefully I will not have an "anomaly."

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
My 2 cents.

The ball bearing does look just like the ones used in the reverse spring and a few other places in the trans. I think it is the 5mm from the first or second gear guide sleeve

But because it has no wear on it at all I think it was lost in the case during the reassembly and replaced with another. It just happen to show up on the plug at this fluid change. Also no worries.

Last edited by SOS; 05-14-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

M1 Delvac:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...iABEgKa0fD_BwE
Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

My 2 cents.

This sounds like the most plausible explanation. +1
Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
Thanks. Fluid was changed last year about 6k miles ago by a shop. I've tracked the car several times since and the trans works fine as of now.
I've posted a few times that people may want to add a trans cooler if you're hitting the track for longer run sessions.
Hopefully all is well after finding that ball. It's a lot cheaper to freshen up a box before things go sideways, do you plan to track it regularly?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM
SOS
Pro

Thanks. A trans cooler is on the long list of things to do. It may have just jumped way up in the cue though. I will track the car regularly, although not necessarily tracked hard as I spend all my track days as an instructor. Most of the car's time is spent being a student taxi. Though it would mega embarrassing to blow my trans with a student in the car.

I drove the car around last night. The trans still shifts fine so far. Wish me luck!!

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've posted a few times that people may want to add a trans cooler if you're hitting the track for longer run sessions.
Hopefully all is well after finding that ball. It's a lot cheaper to freshen up a box before things go sideways, do you plan to track it regularly?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:14 PM
SOS
Pro

Assuming that the ball popped out from one of these guide sleeves, should I immediately feel the effect in my shifting at all? Or is it something that could operate fine with 2 out of 3 ***** until it just blows one day?

Also, do you know if these ***** have a regular wear pattern that one can expect to see if it's been in use?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOS
Assuming that the ball popped out from one of these guide sleeves, should I immediately feel the effect in my shifting at all? Or is it something that could operate fine with 2 out of 3 ***** until it just blows one day?

Also, do you know if these ***** have a regular wear pattern that one can expect to see if it's been in use?
If the ball came out from the guide sleeves there would most likely be other pieces, springs, retainers, etc, in with the fluid. And you would feel, or hear, something amiss, a whining sound.

I do not know what type wear pattern there would be.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOS
Thanks. Fluid was changed last year about 6k miles ago by a shop. I've tracked the car several times since and the trans works fine as of now.
Are you 100% sure the fluid was changed 6k miles ago?

Quick Reply: Found this on my trans drain. Am I ****ed?