May long road trip....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,925 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
aaa card, spare tire, small assortment of tools, tire change kit, jack ,flashlight, cell charger,rainsuit, gloves, lug nut tool if you have locks, plastic sheet to lay on the ground, think of what you might need at noight since thats when crap hits the fan
Yep, +1 on the jack, I am pretty 'thick' to get under the car...
Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrtoro
Longest I have done was about 1k miles. That was with two kids two weeks ago. Just your wallet and cell phone.

Might add a $20 code reader from amazon, tire repair kit, 12v pump and aaa card. Really nothing to worry much about.
Durametric and dedicated laptop on hand.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:07 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipman
That looks like an incredible trip. Especially through that area. I skied in Golden years ago before it was popular, awesome little place.

Not much to add that has already been said, maybe some fix a flat. Ensure you have the complete tire changing kit from Porsche. And some extra quarts, er liters, of oil. Take pics and report back.
It is a nice area to drive through, I am hoping (fingers crossed) that we get in and out before the heavy construction season starts; it seems over the last few years the road has been in undated with kilometers (miles...) of repaving or pothole fixing, or barricade installation etc.

Over the last weekend, they also got a lot of snow. Seems odd, but it happened.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gietl
Watching this thread closely, we re road tripping this year that will result in about 3K on the car round trip. The OP's trip plan looks pretty incredible!
+1
Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
is all of the snow off the roads? I'd be careful of that. Bring a cell phone, and some great tunes!
post pictures.
Yes, I hope snow is gone, yes pictures!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jacob_Seattle
Extra oil, fix-a-flat, make sure to check your tire pressure before leaving and make sure all your lights are good. Don't rush, take your time and enjoy it as a 3 day drive. The car will preform perfectly, it is just you as the driver that needs to take car.

I would go with a R3 radar detector if you don't have something built in. Troopers in BC can be a bit strict.

Do you have a co-pilot?
Co-pilot, Check! I have a new passport, and I used to make the run with Uniden Bearcats and program in all the repeaters so I could keep track of where the Horsemen were...nowadays, who has the time for this? Hahah!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Yes, stock sport seats, pulled them this winter and re-dyed them!
You may find the seat a bit uncomfortable after many hours of sitting in it. Depending on your physical build the seat may cause some lumbar discomfort, so just in case you may want to take a towel of something similar to roll up and place behind your back to improve the comfort.

I also suggest you stop every 1.5 to 2.0 hours and walk a bit. This is an excellent way to help prevent DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis).
Old 05-04-2019, 12:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taylorcar
I’ve done the drive from Calgary to Kelowna and back in my turbo and had a blast. Beautiful roads. If you’re doing the drive over the long weekend, try to avoid the roads (or at least the best parts of the journey) during the obvious times there will be long weekend traffic (Friday evening, Saturday mid morning Monday afternoon). Enjoy the drive!
Thank you, I have every intention of having a good run! The new road for me will be when I come back from Calgary and head south to Fairmont Springs (in laws are there), and then dropping down to Osoyoos, and then east along #3 - all new terrain for me!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:21 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
Sounds like a lot of fun! I think a lot of good advise was already given. I did a road trip years ago in my turbo and while I checked my tires before, or thought I did, I found myself stuck in Denver with two flat rear tires and no one had tires. Problem was that on the outside tread was good but I corded both rear insides so bad they went flat. Happy ending to the story was that I put out an sos on 6 speed and some guy from the boards who lived in Denver brought me a used set of tires and refused to let me pay him anything! Just said, “pay it forward”. Something I will never forget to do.

Enjoy your trip man!
+1 tires... I have always been pretty fortunate when I suffer a catastrophic failure in BC/AB/SK/MB - it may be expensive, but folks are always pretty helpful on the road, eh!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And after 3 weeks in Mexico, I fly back to Vancouver this evening, so it is making the reality of May Long just a little more tantalizing!

Awesome input guys, thank you! And I will be sure to post some majestic mountain pics, along with new area pics I have never been in!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:26 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
You may find the seat a bit uncomfortable after many hours of sitting in it. Depending on your physical build the seat may cause some lumbar discomfort, so just in case you may want to take a towel of something similar to roll up and place behind your back to improve the comfort.

I also suggest you stop every 1.5 to 2.0 hours and walk a bit. This is an excellent way to help prevent DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis).
I have noticed that when the most 'comfortable' setting is set, I am somewhat 'leaning' forward in the seat - good to know! My very awesome other half has a bladder the size of a small bird, so multiple stops are already planned. Thanks Dock, appreciated!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:08 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Don't overthink it. It's like any other car, just a little more rough. I routinely do 1k + road trips in my 996 turbo. My car is very loud, low, a little rough, but I still love it. For peace of mind, have AAA and don't worry about anything else, lest you think too much and don't get to enjoy the ride. My P car has never let me down (knock on wood).

Have fun!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Don't overthink it. It's like any other car, just a little more rough. I routinely do 1k + road trips in my 996 turbo. My car is very loud, low, a little rough, but I still love it. For peace of mind, have AAA and don't worry about anything else, lest you think too much and don't get to enjoy the ride. My P car has never let me down (knock on wood).

Have fun!
Have been told mine is a little loud too - I ordered a set of SE tips from John the other day in order to lower the cabin noise. Apparently, my ears are not attuned to 'drone' like those of my co pilot...

And yes, I love the analogue feel - wouldn't change it for the world, as the pic attests...
Old 05-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Have you ever considered removing the airbag decal(s) from your visor(s)?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Have you ever considered removing the airbag decal(s) from your visor(s)?
But, then it wouldn't be an original, one owner car....

Quick Reply: May long road trip....