Sponsored by:

Air inlet seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Testdr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Air inlet seal

Was looking at the air intake at the engine bay and wondered why porsche didn't fully seal the inlet manifold that's attached to the rear deck. Thought it would make sense to seal it keep the hot air from the engine bay from getting sucked in.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Maybe the deck lid cooling fan reduces the rising hot sufficiently to prevent it from being an "intake" issue.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:43 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Turbo cars don't get the same issues from "hot air". No need. I run an open element round K&N in the engine bay. Still runs cool.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Turbo cars don't get the same issues from "hot air". No need. I run an open element round K&N in the engine bay. Still runs cool.
Not sure I follow. IATs are arguably more important in a turbo car than a NA car. Sucking hot air from the engine compartment is never a good idea.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:56 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Originally Posted by nbressette
Not sure I follow. IATs are arguably more important in a turbo car than a NA car. Sucking hot air from the engine compartment is never a good idea.

The turbos compress the air and heat it. It's more imperative to have good intercoolers. I have a round K&N in the bay and see just over 10 degrees over ambient when it's sitting and really hot.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

The lower you can keep the inlet air temps the better, Your car would make more power with the stock air box.

It wouldn't make as many cool noises though.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:04 PM
s65e90
Drifting

The lower you can keep the inlet air temps the better, Your car would make more power with the stock air box.

It wouldn't make as many cool noises though.
No it wouldn't. I have logged IAT every way possible including stock box, evo ms, diff filters, etc.

This was also in one of the hottest, most humid areas - South Florida.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:10 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Two days ago, sitting in traffic in NYC through Manhattan, IAT was 67 degress with ambient air of 60. Not too bad. I'm not advocating that the engine still should get the best air possible, just a small temp variance isn't as big a deal on a turbo car as the air gets heated by the turbos and then the intercoolers have to cool it. It's more imperative to have good cooling post turbo IMO.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

No it wouldn't. I have logged IAT every way possible including stock box, evo ms, diff filters, etc.

This was also in one of the hottest, most humid areas - South Florida.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Sucking hot air from the engine bay is a bad idea. Logging IATs in anything but a controlled environment would be wildly inaccurate due to the sheer number of variables. The odds of doing that while testing power levels are even lower.

There is a reason that OEMs make extensive design efforts to pull fresh air into the intake tract instead of slapping a cone filter on the front side of the plenum and calling it a day.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Much easier and more effecient to have an air intake system that pulls 10° cooler air pre-compression than intercoolers that provide an additional 10° of temperature reduction...
Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 PM
s65e90
Drifting

We'll have to agree to disagree. Sucking hot air from the engine bay is a bad idea. Logging IATs in anything but a controlled environment would be wildly inaccurate due to the sheer number of variables. The odds of doing that while testing power levels are even lower.

There is a reason that OEMs make extensive design efforts to pull fresh air into the intake tract instead of slapping a cone filter on the front side of the plenum and calling it a day.

Most of that reasoning is sound/emissions, NVH stuff. To each their own. But my datalogs are datalogs. There's no refuting the numbers and there's nothing wildly inaccurate. My cars been together a long time, no issues. What works for you is fine, just saying it's not the bible.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Sucking warm air/hot air vs directly from a "cooler" outside ambient source will suck power. The Motronic ECU will cut timing in 3 degree increments once the MAP/TEMP sensor reaches each "limit"
So if you start with a high intake temp you are closer to the limiter vs the cooler delta when drawing cool air. The heat load on your intercoolers will be LESS.. I have tested the flat panel and cone INSIDE engine bay panels which ingest hot air and can log on average 4 to 6 degrees of timing being pulled.
And yes one can install water injection, intercoolers the size of filing cabinets, to overcome the higher temp delta.. But for most "stock" cars having a outside cold RAM air effect will make more power.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Most of that reasoning is sound/emissions, NVH stuff. To each their own. But my datalogs are datalogs. There's no refuting the numbers and there's nothing wildly inaccurate. My cars been together a long time, no issues. What works for you is fine, just saying it's not the bible.
Unfortunately, data loggers (and sensors) can be wrong or improperly calibrated so NO not all "data" is created equally. I do believe the colder the air intake the better. My car runs much better in the cold. This is why I added a 2nd "snorkel" too....although the 2nd 1 is sealed.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:29 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevin
Sucking warm air/hot air vs directly from a "cooler" outside ambient source will suck power. The Motronic ECU will cut timing in 3 degree increments once the MAP/TEMP sensor reaches each "limit"
So if you start with a high intake temp you are closer to the limiter vs the cooler delta when drawing cool air. The heat load on your intercoolers will be LESS.. I have tested the flat panel and cone INSIDE engine bay panels which ingest hot air and can log on average 4 to 6 degrees of timing being pulled.
And yes one can install water injection, intercoolers the size of filing cabinets, to overcome the higher temp delta.. But for most "stock" cars having a outside cold RAM air effect will make more power.
I'm not advocating that you should try and take in the hottest air possible, naturally one should try all attempts at getting the best air to the motor. I'm saying it's just not as imperative when you have two blowers compressing and heating the air behind it.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

The cooler the air going to the turbochargers the better.

Quick Reply: Air inlet seal