Sponsored by:

Which turbo upgrade for track???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
You have the wrong front uprights if you are planning to use 380 brakes. Can be made to work but requires adapters. Porsche makes 380 versions of those exact uprights. You will need rear matching wheel carriers also. Without the rears, your roll centers will be completely mismatched as you can see the drastic difference in the upper and lower pick up points on the rear carriers in the pic below (RS carrier on the left, TT/GT3 on right) Do your research as it is very easy to do it wrong and spend a lot of money without seeing tangible benefits. There is a lot of misinformation out there. Good luck with the build and enjoy the car safely!

thanks. I will talk to the shop and see what’s going on and how they plan to address the rotors. I appreciate you chiming. I’ve read a lot about you builds and research and I’m blown away with everything you’ve done to the car.

‘’These cars are really fast and can compete with much newer cars including cup cars. I was at the California festival of speed and they had a 70-minute enduro race with 3-4 cup cars 997 and 991 and 2-3 991 gt3r. The winning car was a 2003 996 turbo that was highly modified and it wasn’t close. It was a great pca/POC event. For me, I think the 996 platform is going to be a lot of fun. Cheers!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:52 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

with any/all due respect to the suggestions and participants in your thread. my advice would be to augment this info, with some info from some of the local porsche track winners in la.

dan aspesi held ( he may still? ) the willow springs record for his modded gt2. he owns "speed gallery" in NoHo. aspesi and our sambo@bydesign auto one of the most reputable aftermarket vendors here and in LA here have worked together on builds/parts, and track prep etc for many years. he can hook you up with tune, the kline, and tweak to taste until you have exactly the setup you want. aspesi at speed gallery can do the installs/track prep ( if you don't DIY ) but i can't imagine you can corner balance from home? lol. who knows..

it seems to me, given your geography, this info might be helpful to you.

they setup my car long ago ( a perfectly capable dual duty car ) and it has been to willow springs and back, more than i have.

16/24 hybrids. rwd w wavetrac TBD, 1.3 cargraphic tune, ipd plenum, injectors and associated bits/other bolts ons. roughly 575 crank. fast as hell, with NO lag. zero.

you'll like the kline. imo best "bang" for the buck ( sambo has them in stock always ) as well as the oz wheels you mentioned, in 235/40 x 315/30/18 ( for the money. cheap light and durable ).

do yourself a favor. get to "know" the la pros. it will save you grief. good luck, and enjoy the process.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
That's a tall order.

Talk to Kevin at UMW.
Buy a 992
Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
with any/all due respect to the suggestions and participants in your thread. my advice would be to augment this info, with some info from some of the local porsche track winners in la.

dan aspesi held ( he may still? ) the willow springs record for his modded gt2. he owns "speed gallery" in NoHo. aspesi and our sambo@bydesign auto one of the most reputable aftermarket vendors here and in LA here have worked together on builds/parts, and track prep etc for many years. he can hook you up with tune, the kline, and tweak to taste until you have exactly the setup you want. aspesi at speed gallery can do the installs/track prep ( if you don't DIY ) but i can't imagine you can corner balance from home? lol. who knows..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dnzEE1A8FE

they setup my car long ago ( a perfectly capable dual duty car ) and it has been to willow springs and back, more than i have.

16/24 hybrids. rwd w wavetrac TBD, 1.3 cargraphic tune, ipd plenum, injectors and associated bits/other bolts ons. roughly 575 crank. fast as hell, with NO lag. zero.

you'll like the kline. imo best "bang" for the buck ( sambo has them in stock always ) as well as the oz wheels you mentioned, in 235/40 x 315/30/18 ( for the money. cheap light and durable ).

do yourself a favor. get to "know" the la pros. it will save you grief. good luck, and enjoy the process.
Appreciate this. Dan is a great guy. And fast!! Sounds like you have an amazing car! I am going to be working with a team for track support and also I’m going to get some private lessons next month at the track.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
Appreciate this. Dan is a great guy. And fast!! Sounds like you have an amazing car! I am going to be working with a team for track support and also I’m going to get some private lessons next month at the track.
thanks. my car is incredibly "competent", dialed in. and sits squarely at the "upper end" of the power zone you mentioned ( bolt on's ) that doesn't *unduly* tax the internals. a very salient consideration in all of this, not doing a full rebuild with pauter rods etc etc.

for rebuilds? see pwdrhound lol. just copy his build list and bring at least $30k plus.

good that you "know" dan. like i said earlier. if you're going to be a track rat and in LA? ...

dan @ speed gallery for installs and race prep.. and sam at by design for both parts, advice and continued support ... i haven't bought anything from him in quite awhile, but he'll still answers me. unless i unblock my number ha

again. GL and enjoy the process.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dnzEE1A8FE

thats some great driving- that Cup walked on the straights, but Dan reeled him in every corner. Glad Dan/Sambo are building my new to me car right now- STOKED to get her soon!!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by etchhead
thats some great driving- that Cup walked on the straights, but Dan reeled him in every corner. Glad Dan/Sambo are building my new to me car right now- STOKED to get her soon!!
congrats! you have the dream team. they are the straightest shooters in this business i've ever known.

can't wait to hear what ya got. if you got sams unicorn? i hate you ( with mad respect )
and yeah. why would anyone ever let this guy set their car up?

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 04-09-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:27 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

congrats! you have the dream team. they are the straightest shooters in this business i've ever known.

can't wait to hear what ya got. if you got sams unicorn? i hate you ( with mad respect )
and yeah. why would anyone ever let this guy set their car up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khtIdTtIiBo
yes Sambos car is incoming. Dan has been updating the car with all new mounts, GT3 Lca, rear suspension bits, 4.0 clutch/lwfw, pinned motor, RS ICs, Kline, custom GIAC, fuel, all maint items (while your in there), white BBI 1/2 cage, GT3 Euro seats, Dan’s alignment, Apex wheels (9”/12” NTs), other. Car come nicely done with GT interior and front/rear bumper and aero. Also his 1668s and big brakes to slow her down.

Great capable cars stock, or with some tasteful mods- or you can go all out Turbo-Cup style like John.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

it will be a beast! great upgrades. ask if they still have their custom brake cooling ducts too

enjoy it!
Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Buy a 992
Haha, that's a good one when someone's already down the path of spending 992 $ on modding one of these for the track.
I am glad I have my 6t the way it sits track ready and still streetable, but if I were doing it today, I'd probably go 991.2 with a tune and still be pretty happy.
2 completely different cars that provide completely different experiences. Anyone can drive a PDK with nannies fast, takes a little longer in a track ready turbo.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
^ yeah we pulled the engine to address everything.

Wheels and tires are on the way. Order Nitto nt01 235/40/18 and 315/30/18 wheels much lighter than stock.
Yeah, they look the part too.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 AM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst

Yeah, they look the part too.
very nice!

here’s mine
Old 04-14-2019, 05:59 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan offers great coaching and track support too!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default UMW ZC16s

I've got just over 20k miles on Kevin's ZC16s and went that route because of the type of use you describe. The low end and linear torque curve is well suited for my track with some slow corners. Prior to them, Z06 vettes would walk away out of corners, no more.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,

i want to thank you all for your sage words of wisdom and advice. I really appreciate it and I have learned a lot from this thread.

‘I’ve been thinking about this question I have had in my head over and over.

Why not just a k-24? (Flame-suit fully on. Fire away...lol)

I know that for my application, I’m going to be running stock internal engine parts.

So, the type of turbo that powdrhound is running just doesn’t seem right for me with it having rod bending quick spool up times. So I’m thinking that is a bit further down the rabbit hole I’d be able to go at this point

the k-16/24 hybrid and zero-clearance turbos get rid of a lot of the low end turbo lag and that seems like a pretty sweet setup. There have been more than a few of you guys that are running this set-up and I have to say I’m pretty tempted to go this direction.

But that leads me to the question, why not k-24?

i know that under 2500-2700 rpm there is going to be lag. But on the track that’s not how we roll. So, for this car, 3,000-6,000 rpm will be the sweet spot. My understanding of how efficient turbo-charging is limited. but my basic understanding is that they provide more oxygen to the engine for ignition. More volume=more power all else being equal.

I’m not looking for 0-60 times or to drag racing And I don’t want to create much more than 500-550 hp at the crank. I’m looking more for a nice sweet auc (area under the curve) with great torque to get the car moving in a very reliable package.

Anyone run run this type of setup?

Quick Reply: Which turbo upgrade for track???