Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo Starter Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 01:49 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

if I know shortly,I can snap some pics of the process and/or area, pulling a starter out soon as I'm back from lunch (pulling a 996tt engine/trans out for refreshing)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
@pfbz - uncovered her from hibernation with the plan to tackle the starter yesterday... but ended up being a complete fail...

is there any other tricks for that upper bolt? i can get the socket and extension on it but when i put the ratchet on it, there is zero room or leverage for me to break that bolt loose... i'm assuming maybe a long reach ratchet with a flex head should help? when i put the regular 3/8 ratchet on it, the handle kept hitting the brake line.l
Originally Posted by TommyT
I used a snap on gimbal head ratchet and the appropriate extensions
I don't remember the exact combo I used, but I do have a bunch of different ratchets, of different thicknesses, styles and tooth counts, plus a ton of different extension lengths. I do kind of remember trying to shorten and increase the extension length to position the ratchet itself in a place that allowed more movement.... Screw around with it a bit and I think you'll find a combo that works.

Also, while I did it on quickjacks on my back (twice), I think it's probably easier on a full size lift so you can stand underneath it and reach straight up and get a better angle with your wrist....

PS, I have that snap-on gimbal ratchet in 1/4" drive, very useful. Should maybe pick up the 3/8" sometime...

i've also used this cheap HF ratchet on some jobs where the super-thin head just made enough difference in clearance... I wouldn't use it for some high-torque application, but works fine otherwise. And one hell of a lot cheaper than the snap-on gimbal!

Last edited by pfbz; 04-10-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:25 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyT
I used a snap on gimbal head ratchet and the appropriate extensions
Originally Posted by pfbz
I don't remember the exact combo I used, but I do have a bunch of different ratchets, of different thicknesses, styles and tooth counts, plus a ton of different extension lengths. I do kind of remember trying to shorten and increase the extension length to position the ratchet itself in a place that allowed more movement.... Screw around with it a bit and I think you'll find a combo that works.

Also, while I did it on quickjacks on my back (twice), I think it's probably easier on a full size lift so you can stand underneath it and reach straight up and get a better angle with your wrist....

PS, I have that snap-on gimbal ratchet in 1/4" drive, very useful. Should maybe pick up the 3/8" sometime...

i've also used this cheap HF ratchet on some jobs where the super-thin head just made enough difference in clearance... I wouldn't use it for some high-torque application, but works fine otherwise. And one hell of a lot cheaper than the snap-on gimbal!

thanks. time to go tool shopping... ill stop at hf on the way home. i also ordered one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-C...het/5005345273
Old 05-03-2023, 03:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,934 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Here's the video...

I wasn't giving the voltmenter enough time to fully read before cranking, but the voltage was 12.4V - 12.2V pre-crank. A bit low but not low enough to keep the bendix from properly engaging.

https://youtu.be/DzWobOW_0q8
Mine just sounds like a dead battery.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:44 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Okay I’m wondering what to do first now. Have slow starting issues and a couple of times battery was totally dead after really short drives and needed to get a jump. Battery was replaced, and if I stay on a tender all the time it starts up okay but still sorta slow. Today I noticed voltage was consistently at 13 while driving for over an hour. I know this is kind of a repeat of my question but it seemed like I was holding at around 14 when driving before but today it’s at 13.

I don’t know what the heck I’m doing so do I:
Replace voltage regulator
replace starter
replace alternator
Replace all of them
Figure out how to check ground strap

Point me in the right direction please - thanks!

Last edited by leftlane; 08-13-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:07 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,934 Posts

My starter killed the battery (or vice versa), replaced the starter, didn't die again.

Then, last week, noticed the voltage down, then up again - alternator... Ordered one, interestingly, John had a similar problem.

What I don't know is if they were related, original alternator but I changed the voltage regulator a couple years ago.

Historically, when I've seen alternators go, it happens fairly abruptly, so, this was new. New alternator should be here tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:20 AM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Okay I’m wondering what to do first now. Have slow starting issues and a couple of times battery was totally dead after really short drives and needed to get a jump. Battery was replaced, and if I stay on a tender all the time it starts up okay but still sorta slow. Today I noticed voltage was consistently at 13 while driving for over an hour. I know this is kind of a repeat of my question but it seemed like I was holding at around 14 when driving before but today it’s at 13.

I don’t know what the heck I’m doing so do I:
Replace voltage regulator
replace starter
replace alternator
Replace all of them
Figure out how to check ground strap

Point me in the right direction please - thanks!
Ground strap is easy, it's just behind the right rear wheel. Check that first.
The wire from the alternator to the battery takes the long way home. It goes to the starter, then on to the battery. Might check the connections as your trouble sounds like high resistance somewhere.
If you can figure out how to do this it will give the answer. Use a meter set to read DC Volts. Put one meter lead on the alternator output terminal and the other meter lead on the battery plus post. Read voltage with the engine running and as much electrical load as you can get - turn on the lights, air conditioner, etc. Voltage should be very low,
Then check the grounds the same way. One meter lead on the alternator case, one meter lead on the battery minus post.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Starter Motor Replacement