Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basalt black paint formula / match help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 07:48 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Basalt black paint formula / match help?

So I have been working with my local body shop and they have done multiple spray outs. Most are too blue and some had red flake which we omitted in later sprays. We Haven't found anything I want to put on my fresh OEM bumper. They use PPG paint. Does anyone have a good formula that they were happy with the paint match?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:01 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Christ, black is one of the few colors that are tolerable to panel painting. Be lucky you aren’t dealing with metallic silver and such, with that body supplier you may have to paint half the car! I have much better luck with BASF than I had with DuPont or PPG on European base match. I used to use ppg, and the paint is good, but the paint match was only good enough for the legally blind.

I started using the BASF on at least European cars and have had much better luck.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:04 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

You might have to pay extra, but find someone that can do an excellent job. They are out there, just have to find them.

Last edited by racer959; 03-05-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:35 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

The Basalt metallic has changed in tone over the years, make sure and use Glasurit.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:41 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

I have no problems exactly matching basalt black with PPG. Sounds like your shop is color blind or inexperienced in color tinting. Time to find a new shop.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:26 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

The shop did a great job on the carbon black M3 I used to have with but that was years back. They were the body shop for the local Lexus dealer as well. Basalt black is not a really what I would call a black it has has quite a bit of flake in it (of different colors as well). Yeah I think it might be time to give another place a shot but still would like a picture of anyone's mixture formula that had a good match.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Any luck finding the paint mix for Basalt Black Metallic (Z4 code)?
I am going through the same thing (I got 6 spray out so far).

Thanks,
Boris
Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Over the years when you have spoilers and difference panel piece painted> I have found that Glasurit is good for Black.. However I went thru 5 different paint companies to nail down Polar silver. The mica/metallic was better with PPG, my opinion.. Glasurit and BASF was too fine.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

So does anyone have a paint mix for basalt black metallic they can share, that they are satisfied with?

Boris
Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by boris_gti
So does anyone have a paint mix for basalt black metallic they can share, that they are satisfied with?

Boris
The standard PPG formula is fine as long as you tint accordingly and blend the adjacent panels if necessary.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Originally Posted by mffarrell
The standard PPG formula is fine as long as you tint accordingly and blend the adjacent panels if necessary.
Sorry, I was looking at your earlier post where you said that the bumpers matched perfectly. I assumed that no blending or painting the adjacent panels was necessary.
If you need to blend the paint, I wouldn't say that the paint is an exact match....right?

Reason for my post is because I’m working with the paint supplier and the body shop to develop as close of a PPG mix to OEM as possible. That way I can get my GT3 wing painted, without having to paint almost half a car (due to “blending”) which is what almost every Porsche “certified” shop is suggesting.

6 spray out cards down, and I think we’re almost there.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Sorry, I was looking at your earlier post where you said that the bumpers matched perfectly. I assumed that no blending or painting the adjacent panels was necessary.
If you need to blend the paint, I wouldn't say that the paint is an exact match....right?

Reason for my post is because I’m working with the paint supplier and the body shop to develop as close of a PPG mix to OEM as possible. That way I can get my GT3 wing painted, without having to paint almost half a car (due to “blending”) which is what almost every Porsche “certified” shop is suggesting.

6 spray out cards down, and I think we’re almost there.
Sorry, I couldn’t remember what panel or bumper the OP stated. If it’s just a bumper or wing, blending is not necessary. When mixing the paint you have to play with the paint formula. It’s more an art than a science, but with trial, error and patience, it can me matched. I have matched BB many times. The plastic parts can be tricky because they sometimes display a different color as compared to a sheet metal panel.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Thanks. I hope to get the mixture as close to perfect as possible and to be comfortable enought to share the PPG mixture with other forum members. I do not think it is fair that the owners are left with no support from Porsche.

Current mix looks great looking at it from the angles, but still a bit too dark for my liking looking at it directly (while the card is placed in the middle of the panel and not next to it). If you place the card next to the panel, you can’t tell the difference (I couldn’t). It also changes the colour nicely depending on how the light hits it (just as OEM). I would say it’s a 99% match.

Paint supplier is mixing another mix tomorrow and then it’ll get sprayed again at the end of the day.

Boris
Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Thanks. I hope to get the mixture as close to perfect as possible and to be comfortable enought to share the PPG mixture with other forum members. I do not think it is fair that the owners are left with no support from Porsche.

Current mix looks great looking at it from the angles, but still a bit too dark for my liking looking at it directly (while the card is placed in the middle of the panel and not next to it). If you place the card next to the panel, you can’t tell the difference (I couldn’t). It also changes the colour nicely depending on how the light hits it (just as OEM). I would say it’s a 99% match.

Paint supplier is mixing another mix tomorrow and then it’ll get sprayed again at the end of the day.

Boris
The pigment in the paint is the culprit of giving different colors depending on light and angle. That’s why blending into panels is sometimes the only solution for a perfect match. I never really had issues matching BB or white. You might want to try to get some factory Glasurit paint. I used to be able to purchase premixed by the quart years ago.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:23 AM
boris_gti
Instructor

Thanks mffarrell,
I agree with what you said that it’s more of an art than science. I’ll keep this thread updated. I should be able to report back in a few days once the samples are painted and I get a nice sunny day in Canada so I can get the car out in the sun and compare the spray out cards.

Boris

Quick Reply: Basalt black paint formula / match help?