Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank no start the ever not so popular subject.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The VIN numbers don't match on my 3.6 Boxster conversion, all it does is confuse the emissions inspectors. Been that way for 40,000 miles and 7 years. Using the original VIN allows IPAS to give you the correct programming codes.

Highly recommend a compression test.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 PM
robflying
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulStewart
The VIN numbers don't match on my 3.6 Boxster conversion, all it does is confuse the emissions inspectors. Been that way for 40,000 miles and 7 years. Using the original VIN allows IPAS to give you the correct programming codes.

That's what I was told by the ECU guys but that the engine will perform as expected other wise.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

+1
Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

theres a few tricks to be done to drop the trans and not the motor. it comes out fairly easy its harder to reinstall with the clutch fork rod but it can be done. pull the trans and try a 1 piece flywheel . not a cheap fix but on mine it fixed a major issue i had and driveability was greatly improved
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM
robflying
Advanced

Ok guys I seriously need help here. I ask cause the Porsche tech I've been speaking with doesn't have the time to spent on my project and I understand truly. Well I dropped the engine Checked the flywheel tooth count and its all good from the info I was given that is. I was told with #1 cyl at TDC there should be a 15 tooth count from sensor to the 2 missing teeth and there was so that indicates that the flywheel timing is proper. Now I'm wanting to check the cams before I set this beeach back into its place. Is there marks something I can follow, besides tearing the valves covers off, seams like such a task. I've read that on bank #1 the lobs have to be facing each other while on Bank #2 cylinder #4 I believe they must be opposite. Anyone dear God what a mess.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:53 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by robflying
Ok guys I seriously need help here. I ask cause the Porsche tech I've been speaking with doesn't have the time to spent on my project and I understand truly. Well I dropped the engine Checked the flywheel tooth count and its all good from the info I was given that is. I was told with #1 cyl at TDC there should be a 15 tooth count from sensor to the 2 missing teeth and there was so that indicates that the flywheel timing is proper. Now I'm wanting to check the cams before I set this beeach back into its place. Is there marks something I can follow, besides tearing the valves covers off, seams like such a task. I've read that on bank #1 the lobs have to be facing each other while on Bank #2 cylinder #4 I believe they must be opposite. Anyone dear God what a mess.
without the proper timing plates you are simply guessing at the timing. valve covers have to come off tdc is set cam bolts loosened and timing plates set in place. no other way .

i would also consider changing to a billet flywheel from a 3 piece unit
Old 03-17-2019, 11:16 AM
robflying
Advanced

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
without the proper timing plates you are simply guessing at the timing. valve covers have to come off tdc is set cam bolts loosened and timing plates set in place. no other way .

i would also consider changing to a billet flywheel from a 3 piece unit
I am considering changing the flywheel, tho it seams weird too me. After talking with the porsche tech I've been speaking to. He says that these engines aren't known for jump timing, giving how low the mileage is and how clean it is and the fact that there seams to be no evidence of tampering of any sort he highly doubts that its cam timing. He did mention something on the vario setup but that it would still run, just not perform properly. Oh some one mentioned if I had checked compression answer is yes its reading between 150 to 155 cold of course.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Had mine for 6 yrs now. Active on 3 forums and a half dozen f/b pages. Friends with about 6 shops and countless backyard diy porsche builders. Never seen or heard of a single engine jumping time. Broken chains yes but never just jumped the chain. I would put that at the bottom of the possibility list
Old 03-17-2019, 05:42 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you ruled out fuel pressure yet?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
robflying
Advanced

Have you ruled out fuel pressure yet?
Yes 53psi, ordered a new fuel pump since I've read so many issues about this, tho while I was checking compression and spark, I also checked to see if the injectors where injecting into the combustion chamber and it was plus the plugs are wet. Someone had suggest to check the crank position sensor gap. So I went back and reset it. engine going back in next week wish me luck.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

You have an engine of unknown condition, in a car that it wasn’t supposed to go in. Unfortunately there are lots of things that could be wrong. You must first determine that the engine is mechanically able to function, good spark, good fuel, and proper cam timing. You have also introduced an aftermarket part in there that is more of an unknown. It’s going to be a process of elimination, Does it have good fuel in it? I find it strange that the engine attempts to fire when ether is sprayed into it, while it’s still injecting fuel above and beyond.
If you go through all the simple stuff, you then have to go to your work, wiring and such and make sure that is correct. What DTC’s are being set?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1^
if its barking on quick start/ether/etc just keep feeding it and see if it continues after say 10 seconds, longer you can keep it running the more information you'll have...watch fuel pressure while doing this, get a datalog if you can
Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 PM
robflying
Advanced

The DTC's that are present I believe are from the last stored engine reading, which are the O2 sensors, nothing else is showing. Like some here quoted this engine aren't know for jumping time, so unless I want to open a can of worms which at this time I don't care to, I will leave that one alone . Last owner assures me that the engine was running with no issues. I must take it faith, cause plugs tell a tale as been said and these plugs are clean, in other words worn plugs no fouling to note. The flywheel is a light weight aluminium but the reluctor wheel is steel, that shouldn't be the issue. As the ECU repair guys have told me and the confirmation of a post listed here cars VIN and modules VIN don't necessarily need to match for the system to function. So at this point search continues.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm just thinking out loud here as I am not an expert here, I just troubleshoot systems:

What's the easiest way to prove that the immobilizer isn't the issue?

I know you keep saying the ECU experts say "it shouldn't be an issue", but based on everything I'm reading:

1) the symptoms you describe are exactly in line with how an immobilizer issue would behave;
2) you haven't ruled that out, other than "it shouldn't be an issue";
3) everything else is working / there are no obvious culprits

Feel free to ignore if you disagree, but if I were you, I would focus on trying to prove that the immobilizer IS NOT causing your issue.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

All this work yet it seems you never changed the crank sensor itself. Why not? Easy to verify and it will cause a no start, crank only.

Quick Reply: Crank no start the ever not so popular subject.