Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank no start the ever not so popular subject.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:19 AM
robflying
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the tooth count I can't comment not sure. But this is sure strange.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

As I remember the 996 only has a 58 tooth or 60 minus 2 reluctor wheel, and I think it’s the same for the 997 , but not 100% but as with any aftermarket part the margin for error is usually higher than the OEM. When I do a project like this I certainly like to take the unknown problems out of the equation, or questions like this seem to come out. There are lots of variable possibilities of the cause, usually it’s a simple one, but finding it is the hard part. You definitely need the scan tool for further info.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:47 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
As I remember the 996 only has a 58 tooth or 60 minus 2 reluctor wheel, and I think it’s the same for the 997 , but not 100% but as with any aftermarket part the margin for error is usually higher than the OEM. When I do a project like this I certainly like to take the unknown problems out of the equation, or questions like this seem to come out. There are lots of variable possibilities of the cause, usually it’s a simple one, but finding it is the hard part. You definitely need the scan tool for further info.
993 996 997 all the count
Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM
robflying
Advanced

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
993 996 997 all the count
That's what I was told that the count is the same for the models. Now that location was different don't know if it was the 993 or 964. That the position sensor was also place different.
On another note, talking to a local supposed Porsche tech. He says look closely at the grounds, he mentions that if its cranking, and fuel pump relay latches during the cranking portion, and I've checked to make sure injectors are getting the signal then per him that the DME is doing its job. But if the ground is weak that it would lead to weak or dirty signal causing poor operation to not operating at all. He asked if I had an oscilloscope, that it would show if the signal was strong or on the weak side. I guess that makes sense. I pulled codes and no DME codes show. I'm getting the usual code 47, and 60 from the alarm, but I have't read anyone having a starting issue with these codes.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:42 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

if its not the grounds i would look again at having the vin matched as it sounds like immobilizer issue if you have spark air and fuel.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 PM
robflying
Advanced

Well at this point anything is possible from the looks of it. I'm sworn by the ECU repair shops that its impossible for the immobilizer to be it cause the engine is turning over and fuel pump relay latching while cranking, And yes fuel pressure its been verified. But I'm all at a lost. Wish I could find someone that's had the same issue in the exact same manner that will point they way to repairing this. I don't like shotgunning anything, I always try to approach things with logic but in this case it isn't happening.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:35 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by robflying
Well at this point anything is possible from the looks of it. I'm sworn by the ECU repair shops that its impossible for the immobilizer to be it cause the engine is turning over and fuel pump relay latching while cranking, And yes fuel pressure its been verified. But I'm all at a lost. Wish I could find someone that's had the same issue in the exact same manner that will point they way to repairing this. I don't like shotgunning anything, I always try to approach things with logic but in this case it isn't happening.
as you know 3 things needed to fire the car. if you have those and it wont fire its a dme issue. talk to kevin on here or todd at protomotive on the cost to match all your computers to your vin. then you have at ;east eiminated that as a cause.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

I always thought it was the immobilizer and still do.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:34 PM
robflying
Advanced

Up date had the supposed Porsche guy take a quick look. Again checked spark its there, checked fuel with plug off you can smell and see the mist in the cylinder. I asked him if its the immobilizer even he says no. He says it wouldn't crank nor spark or fuel. Then he said you bought this engine used I said yes, Why? timing might have been jacked with tho no indication of tampering by the looks of it. He says timing need to be ruled out. Like he said if no spark or fuel that it electronics but not when its can be verified. Now the question can this bee done with the engine installed. He says he has never done it in such a manner.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:18 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by robflying
Up date had the supposed Porsche guy take a quick look. Again checked spark its there, checked fuel with plug off you can smell and see the mist in the cylinder. I asked him if its the immobilizer even he says no. He says it wouldn't crank nor spark or fuel. Then he said you bought this engine used I said yes, Why? timing might have been jacked with tho no indication of tampering by the looks of it. He says timing need to be ruled out. Like he said if no spark or fuel that it electronics but not when its can be verified. Now the question can this bee done with the engine installed. He says he has never done it in such a manner.
if the timing has slipped significantly, the engine could be toast. I would get my money back.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:21 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,927 Posts

And if timing was the case like that, at 9.4:1 CR, wouldn't you hear the valves tagging the tops of the pistons?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
And if timing was the case like that, at 9.4:1 CR, wouldn't you hear the valves tagging the tops of the pistons?
Definitely, if way off, but valves could have just nicked the pistons and are bent/warped. First thing I would do is a compression test to see what’s what.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Did this "Porsche guy" plug it into a Porsche factory computer and check to see all the modules were communicating with the ECU?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Timing plates needed to confirm timing. Engine out valve covers off to set timing. And unless the timing is completely pooched it would start and backfire run like dirt
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM
robflying
Advanced

In earlier posting I mentioned that it will spit and sputter with ether and I did asking why with ether. He says ether is hotter and he thinks its pre ignition. Compression is good so the valves should be ok. When I told him about the aftermarket flywheel he suspecting that"s were the fix will be. AS he puts it thats the only difference in the engine.

Quick Reply: Crank no start the ever not so popular subject.