Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT reliability survey

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

trade the wife of course. after a few years the mezger powered porsche minus upkeep will be worth more than the Vette.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by lconn
Actually not trying justify ownership, more like looking for ammo. .
You're not trying to justify to your wife continued ownership of you 996 Turbo after the car comes off its extended warranty?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:20 AM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
You're not trying to justify to your wife continued ownership of you 996 Turbo after the car comes off its extended warranty?
I really don't want a vette, I love my 996tt. I'm just trying to ease her uneasiness with a few anecdotes.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

(knocking on wood) My ‘02 with 60k miles has been extremely reliable. The previous owner had just put on new tires, wheels, clutch and did the 60k mile service (at 47k miles). My repairs have been limited to swapping the eRams for a leaking OEM spoiler, new wastegate actuators (about $500 for parts and labor) and boost hoses (don’t recall exactly cost but maybe $500). All done in the 50k to 55k mileage range. Just oil changes otherwise. I just rolled over 60,000 miles on the odometer.

If it’s $$ that is her concern, definitely cheaper to stick with the 996tt. And fwiw, I actually like the C7 Vette.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:05 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Other than CV boots and several eRam Kits (prototypes) for the wing, nothing that wasn’t a wear item, tune or track upgrade ($1000’s). There were a few things found during engine out pipe welding, clutch and reservoir, maybe $500 worth of hoses and ground cable. Yes, expensive as it slowly turns into a track only car.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 02-21-2019, 09:43 AM
lconn
Instructor

I really appreciate those who have contributed so far, still seems like the usual suspects. Anyone have an actual engine or tip transmission failure (or heard of one)? None come to mind for me. My next concerns are going to be the coolant lines though I don't track the car.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Have only heard of one Tip Trans failure and that was from extensive hard track use. The trans had almost 100k miles on it, most of it track miles.

Under normal driving condition I would expect a Tip trans to last for at least 200k miles.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I really don't want a vette, I love my 996tt. I'm just trying to ease her uneasiness with a few anecdotes.
Really just make some sh*t up then (anecdotal data has no use for predictive modeling...LOL). The point of the thread is a bit ...there is no way to conclude what WILL happen to your car by asking others what happened to theirs (correlation is not causation). If you want the Porsche why is this even a negotiation? If you want to keep the wife happy ...again no negotiation.

I know ....then I should just stay off the thread...but I just watched Ricky Gervais "Humanity"...then you know what I mean...
Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

My 01 was around 45k miles when I put it away for winter this year. The car has a bunch of mods and sees a good amount of track time. During my 2 year ownership, I have replaced both front CV boots and that has been the only "issue." Granted when I bought it, it had the GT2 clutch setup and coolant lines pinned so those were both high cost potential failure points which are going to increase in incidence as mileage goes up. I do expect and hope that the car will continue to be issue free over the long term.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:55 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

I appreciate the advice but the point of this thread is actual experiences.
The biggest most expensive is going to be the coolant tubes that probably will at best start leaking, and at worst fall out. Without a warranty and not doing the work yourself will certainly be costly, especially on a car that is going on 16 years old.

There are things that are going to start failing from age and deterioration, like radiators, and rubber parts that a newer car probably won’t do. Add the convertible top ,which is not really prone to failure, but is getting older and certainly not better with time.

I own lots of cars that are out of warranty, from scions to CT’s-v amg Mercedes and 4 Porsche’s. The Mercedes and Porsche take up lots of my time in repairs, and they are much more expensive to repair, the sciion almost never.

Coolant issues, ignition switches,stereo failure, coil packs, radiator fan resistors, headlight switches, convertible top tensioning cables, window regulators, seat belt buckles setting off airbag light, coolant tank failure, first gear pop out are the things I have had to deal with on cars with under 100k miles. The engines and transmissions are reliable mechanically
Old 02-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

My next concerns are going to be the coolant lines though I don't track the car.
If you don't track the car then I wouldn't pin the coolant lines unless the engine was already out for some other repair.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:02 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

I really appreciate those who have contributed so far, still seems like the usual suspects. Anyone have an actual engine or tip transmission failure (or heard of one)? None come to mind for me. My next concerns are going to be the coolant lines though I don't track the car.
The 722 Mercedes transmission is definitely a pretty good part, they seem to be the least problematic part. A couple of x50 cars had timing chain failures that took the engine out, but other than that its the rubber and plastic parts stuff that always seems to fail ( mostly plastic)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:11 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Atrox's car suffered an engine failure a few months ago. I don't recall all of the details, but there is a thread on here about it. It seems like his coolant lines gave away, and when they were fixing them, the mechanic discovered a major issue that basically made the car a total loss. The end result was that insurance paid for the loss. Possible he hit some road debris. Again, it's in here, and a quick search will find it. But, that's the only engine failure that I can recall off the top of my head. And, the good news is that if you do have a rare engine failure, used engines from wrecked cars are generally available at a pretty reasonable price. Unlike the normally aspirated 996s with the M96 engine, since the Mezgers don't often fail, there isn't a huge demand for replacement engines.

EDIT: Here's the thread. He had a cracked block due to running over some road debris. Symptoms made it initially look like blown coolant lines.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...of-an-era.html
Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 PM
lconn
Instructor

Interesting thread on the block. I have also run into mechanics who simply don't understand the engine e.g. dry sump, etc. or confuse them with the M96. I use a local Porsche indy who has only done Porsches since 1965. Family owned from father to son.
I'm not sure my insurance company would have covered the engine and not defaulted as they were not real happy about the rear wing hydraulics. I gave them a break and had them install the less expensive 4" E-Ram ;-). Sometimes you come out ahead. My friend, whom I bought the car from, was able to get a bumper to bumper extended warranty with a $100 deductible for 5yrs or until it hit 75k for $2640. Any non-wear item. A deal from my perspective.
Had not heard about timing chains before, I assume relatively rare.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

When I first got my 01 a year ago was in rough shape cosmetically.
-cv boots outer both front (these were installed incorrectly by dealer so car is back at the dealer)
-maf sensor( has been back twice to dealer as they put in a 986 Maf and its now throwing codes)
-rear spoiler replaced via dealer
-wheel bearings front
-clutch master slave and accumulator
This was about a year ago and cost around 7k
this car was somewhat neglected and sat for a period of time.

Since then an alignment, coil packs spark plugs
Forge ms actuators with stock springs
the only thing that made me change out plugs and coils was the actuator rod snapped on driver side so may as well do it.

Aside from consumables the car has cost me about 2k
the car is more reliable than my old 2002 z06 (I loved that car but the constant problems it had made me sell it, I bought a 04 z06 and hopefully ill have better luck)

So in turn its been very reliable for the first 13k miles ive had it in a year aside from dealer mockups of course.

Quick Reply: 996TT reliability survey