Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT reliability survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 AM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

i would look at the YouTube Corvette assembly line video, I can’t believe how cheap a vette is built , they glue half the car together and the other half is bolted to the windshield , then I look at wrecked cars from Corvette people can’t drive video and see what’s left after hitting a curb, I wish it was built better than a 996 and I could buy a great American car , but I can’t.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:47 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I got mine in May last year; 200kms later one of the coolant lines went.

With 40k miles on it, I have done the following work when I took possession:

- New wheels tires/ti lugs
- Gbox 2nd gear detent
- Pinned
- new belt
- new voltage regulators
- new injectors
- Kevin's GT3 RS clutch LWFW
- Radiators
- new front lip
- new side skirts, little gromets and clips
- all fluids, everywhere
- Exhaust
- new pads and sensors
- billet diverters
- EVO intercoolers
- Eram
- Hood struts front and rear
- all hoses (yet to be installed)
- floor mats with sexy 'turbo' script...
- GT3RS short shifter

I don't think the car was at all in bad shape when I got it, I just like to go on road trips and reliability is a big thing for me. I have spent, with labor, approx. $35k (CDN) on the above, and this does not include my time taking the interior apart and re dying the worn leather, detailing, and waxing the hell out of it. I put my time on this at around 100 hours.

It is, for all intents and purpose, a labor of love.
New floor mats improve reliability? You need to split your purchases into required maintenance and other.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
New floor mats improve reliability? You need to split your purchases into required maintenance and other.
The old mat (drivers) hard a particularly nasty hole through it that had threads/fibres that caused 'unreliable' and buggered shifts. I suppose ultimately, it could have tied up my left foot and caused significant problems, so I think that replacing the mats squarely falls into the 'reliability' category...
Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
If you don't track the car then I wouldn't pin the coolant lines unless the engine was already out for some other repair.
However, if you are into long spirited drives through the mountains for hours at a time, I would consider it simply due to the sustained load on it that is greater than a twenty minute track session...
Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

many long term high mileage owners are dubious about the reported "necessity" of messing with the factory coolant lines pre-emptively if not required for track outings. until and unless something happens of course.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:19 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And to me, the entire idea of 'preventative maintenance' is to address known 'potential' failures immediately - thereby not having to worry about sitting on the side of the road saying to myself 'I knew that...' while I wait for a tow truck.

I would think that the American owners, in particular, would be more driven to getting it fixed as there was a NTSB bulletin about the problem.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

And to me, the entire idea of 'preventative maintenance' is to address known 'potential' failures immediately - thereby not having to worry about sitting on the side of the road saying to myself 'I knew that...' while I wait for a tow truck.

I would think that the American owners, in particular, would be more driven to getting it fixed as there was a NTSB bulletin about the problem.
Really, could you post the NTSB? From what I've read, they concluded it was not a "problem" and, in fact, the 997 had more occurrences but was still not enough for action.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:22 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
i would look at the YouTube Corvette assembly line video, I can’t believe how cheap a vette is built , they glue half the car together and the other half is bolted to the windshield , then I look at wrecked cars from Corvette people can’t drive video and see what’s left after hitting a curb, I wish it was built better than a 996 and I could buy a great American car , but I can’t.
Glue is actually stronger in many cases. It's mostly glued together as the car is made of fiberglass. Can't really weld it.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

My understanding is that the NTSB was not involved. It was the NHTSA, and their investigation found no safety-related defect(s).

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/13/...aks/#continued
Old 03-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Ever work on a Corvette, they are kind of crude by comparison.
Some years ago I was discussing the build differences between the 996 Turbo and the Z06 Vette with people on another car forum and pointed out this difference in door hinge design/quality as just one example of the differences.

996 Turbo door hinge:

Z06 door hinge looks like it was supplied by Home Depot:
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Really, could you post the NTSB? From what I've read, they concluded it was not a "problem" and, in fact, the 997 had more occurrences but was still not enough for action.
I read it here, when someone posted a link, and I know my previous owner knew about it after the car was out of warranty...

I had to take the engine out to do the clutch - they charged me an hour to do the clutch, $3k to pin the lines and re and re the motor. Cheap insurance to me; I am 'that guy' you see sitting on the side of the road, hood up, something steaming from the engine, or great pools of fluid beneath it... so if it 'can' break, I most certainly will break it.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Some years ago I was discussing the build differences between the 996 Turbo and the Z06 Vette with people on another car forum and pointed out this difference in door hinge design/quality as just one example of the differences.

996 Turbo door hinge:

Z06 door hinge looks like it was supplied by Home Depot:
Not even galvanized...
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I read it here, when someone posted a link, and I know my previous owner knew about it after the car was out of warranty...
The previous owner found out that the NHTSA didn't find any safety-related defects with the coolant lines?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:35 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not exactly - the previous owner was contacted by MCL (Porsche Vancouver) after the car was out of warranty advising that this coolant line MAY be an issue. The previous owner did not fix it or take the engine out of the car, and I do remember a conversation with the owner who was joking about being 66,67 at the time and wouldn't know what to do on the track in the first place, so wasn't going to worry about it.

I recall in another post/thread here that someone had a link to a copy of a potential coolant line failure at, if I remember correctly, 82k miles. The thread was centered around pinning or welding. It appeared to me that this kind of absolutely debilitating failure in a town or city that was not my own, and that I could be far away from my wrench, does not really appeal to me as I suspect it would get very expensive, very quickly. A little more, and the latest lawsuit is here:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I had to take the engine out to do the clutch - they charged me an hour to do the clutch, $3k to pin the lines and re and re the motor. Cheap insurance to me; I am 'that guy' you see sitting on the side of the road, hood up, something steaming from the engine, or great pools of fluid beneath it... so if it 'can' break, I most certainly will break it.
Not sure how $3K is cheap insurance. Pinned lines don't prevent them from leaking, but whatever turns your crank.

Quick Reply: 996TT reliability survey