Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on Turbo FS ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:26 AM
txnnd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on Turbo FS ad

Ok guys, I know we have a lot of opinionated people here, so lay it on me. I've only had this advertised on Rennlist and only a week, but soft interest. I realize it's winter, but I thought that the price was fair for a very strong and tastefully modded car. So what's up? Link to ad and copy below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1125353Description:

2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
Arctic Silver over Black
Dallas, TX
Asking $42,700

Due to lack of use, I've decided it's time to part with my 996 Turbo. Please read below for the full description, it is a tastefully modded and very well sorted driver example. In the 2.5 years that I've owned the car, I have had zero issues. I purchased her from an active member here, who did many of the mods. The turbo upgrades etc were completed by Modern Aircooled in Houston. The car is listed exclusively on Rennlist and has undergone a recent PPI. I am happy to answer any questions, take any pics, and I have a cold start and walk around video available upon request. Everything on the car works as it should, including all electronics, switches, latches, etc.

The Good
Sport seats with hard backs painted arctic silver
- Seats are heated and full electric
- Leather from newer seats was used, very minor wear including bolsters
- Porsche crest in headrests
Guards red seat belts added
Carbon Fiber Interior (Steering wheel, parking brake, center console, radio surround, shift ****, doors with
batwing and armrest)
Headliner in excellent condition
Sunroof works as it should with no leaks
Electric Ram kit installed on rear spoiler (speed sensor and dash control fully functional)
K40 Radar and Laser detector/jammer built in with hidden dash switch
Clean Carfax

Maintenance
All maintenance is up to date with fresh oil change under 100 miles (Mobil 0-40)
Brakes flushed last year and only 700 miles added since.
New battery this summer
Within the last 1,750 miles the following parts were replaced:
Coolant lines pinned
New water pump
New coolant reservoir with updated cap
New thermostat
New coolant lines
New spark plugs
New coils
Master and slave cylinder replaced
New cabin filter
Differential fluid
New Belt
New tires (Bridgestone S04 pole position date coded 2016)

Modifications
Cobb tune with Accessport
K24/18G Turbo's with 1-bar AMS wastegates
ID 1000cc injectors
911 Tuning 3" race exhaust with 4" Quad tips and 100 CEL cats
911 Tuning 3.5" Intercoolers with 3.5" outlet
Upgraded silicone boost hoses
Sachs stage 2.5 clutch with new oem dual mass flywheel and throw out bearing
GT2 slave conversion
PSS10 Bilstein suspension with Tarret camber plates, monoball and tarret drop links on all four corners.
997TT brake setup with new rotors and pads (1,000 miles) 6 pot front and 4 pot rear
15mm spacers all around

PPI Results
Inspection turned up a cracked front right CV boot
Tie rod ends have slight play
Left valve cover is "wet" with oil
Oil catch can should be replaced with aluminum

Hopefully that gives a good illustration of what you are viewing. I'm happy to answer any questions via text or phone. Apologies in advance for the order in which the pics loaded.

Jake
317-517-6847

Last edited by txnnd; 01-27-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

"High" miles, too many mods and oil leaks. Car seems like it has been driven hard, a lot.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM
volv4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the problems listed and the mileage i'd expect it to be priced in the mid-high 30's.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems like a good buy to me. It's only been a week and keep in mind that Rennlist is not the centre of the Porsche buying universe. Most people interested in 996TT's on RL already have one, had one, or are out of your area.

​I'd say that taking longer than a week in the dead of winter to sell any 996TT is nothing abnormal. Be patient and good luck!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 PM
txnnd
Intermediate

Not sure where my other reply went...

Thanks guys, I now see that the ad may not be a good reflection of the car. The mods were only added 2,000 miles ago and I've only driven the car 700 miles in 2.5 years. It doesn't leak oil, only was wet by the left valve cover, and no one would know that without a full PPI, or an inspection mirror. I believe in being honest, that's why I reported the PPI results prior to advertising. A respected shop here in Dallas did a very thorough PPI and the owner thought it would sell in a week for $40K. It's a very clean and well sorted example and it pulls like a freight train. Thanks again for the honest feedback.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by txnnd
Opinions wanted on Turbo FS ad

I think the ad is fine.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious, what history of error codes will a PPI reveal? Type of code, dates, total count?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:13 PM
txnnd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PaleAle
Just curious, what history of error codes will a PPI reveal? Type of code, dates, total count?
Is that a general question or specifically for this car? The only CEL I've gotten is P0442 "evaporative system", which I've been told is generally a gas cap issue. I can read codes on the Cobb port, so I just reset it. That's happened three times in 2.5 years and has always been the same code. Seems to happen when it's not been driven for a bit.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:28 PM
z8911
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn’t go below 40k. Someone out there will see the mods as a huge plus, you just have to wait for the right person. 6 speed 996tt’s even in less than average condition with high miles and mods don’t go for less than $30k. Every car has a floor in pricing and for a 6 speed 996tt coupe it is right around 30k. From your ad it looks like your car is in great shape. The coolant lines being pinned are a huge plus as well as the 6 piston calipers and eram kit. Also, rennlist is probably not going to be the best place to sell the car either. Here you will find meticulous buyers like Carlo who see your disclosure of a valve cover weep as “oil leaks”, even though it’s just a single weep in a common area and isn’t expensive to fix. Also, many shops can confuse cosmoline for oil leaks. It has worked out a few times in my favor on some purchases I have made (but that may not be the case in your situation). Start advertising on eBay, autotrader and car gurus. If you can wait a few months, I’d put it on bringatrailer in the spring. Bottom line is that your ad is good and your price is fair; you’re just not advertising it at the right venue or time of year. Best of luck with your sale!
Old 01-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Revised listing is much better.

If you need to sell it quickly consider Bring a Trailer.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:11 PM
txnnd
Intermediate

@z8911 thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response. I don't have to sell it, but I don't drive it. Every time I do, I leave with a smile though. It really is a great car, and I thought the price was fair so thought I'd offer it to an enthusiast here first. I'll likely throw it out on the web in the near future.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:29 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by txnnd
Is that a general question or specifically for this car? The only CEL I've gotten is P0442 "evaporative system", which I've been told is generally a gas cap issue. I can read codes on the Cobb port, so I just reset it. That's happened three times in 2.5 years and has always been the same code. Seems to happen when it's not been driven for a bit.
Sorry, that was a general question. A friend of mine is looking at a local '03 and asked.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

If you do not need to sell it why would you advertise it in January at the least demand time of year for these cars.
if valve cover is leaking why would you think it would only be noticable by a full ppi? it would be obvious anytime it is put on a lift.
you should address the issues and wait until March or April and get decent value for the car.
good luck!
and BAT does take some time and effort to get it listed and sold to new owner, not as fast as one might think.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 PM
txnnd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbodan
If you do not need to sell it why would you advertise it in January at the least demand time of year for these cars.
if valve cover is leaking why would you think it would only be noticable by a full ppi? it would be obvious anytime it is put on a lift.
you should address the issues and wait until March or April and get decent value for the car.
good luck!
and BAT does take some time and effort to get it listed and sold to new owner, not as fast as one might think.
Why let it just sit for another three months? It's 62 in Dallas today, maybe someone is in the market.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:13 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

A couple of additional suggestions:
  • Put the ad in the "Vehicle Marketplace" forum in addition to the "New Marketplace". Personally I find the "New" section to be clumsy and rarely even bother looking in it. I don't think I'm the only one.
  • Better pictures. Better pictures. Better pictures. Especially on a car with 90K+ miles on it. Condition is everything with these cars, and dark, underexposed, low res pictures do not convey the quality (or defects) of the car.
  • If at all possible, FIX the current issues rather than simply listing them. If the oil leak is to be left as-is, show a picture showing the valve covers.
  • If you have a documented PPI, post it up! Along with carfax, build sheet, maintenance history beyond the last 1,700 miles, etc.
Price seems pretty reasonable if the car is well sorted.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on Turbo FS ad