Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety wiring coolant hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 PM
Walter Piescik
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found it. That eighth one looks impossible.

https://youtu.be/WIl2-vBAnvk
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Piescik
Probably, but probably not with a Porsche club sponsored event. And if welding/pinning is a requirement, then no.
Your idea sounds like a waste of time.
Just pin them and JB weld the seams, a couple people here even did it with the engine in(masochists).
I tracked mine about a dozen times before pinning but the engine only had 15k on it, so I figured my pipes would be ok. There have been a couple recent posts of people losing a fitting. You want to be behind some guy that craps coolant at the track going in an 80mph sweeper or 130mph braking zone for a 40mph corner? Known failure point that can cause real harm on track.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 AM
Walter Piescik
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i've never pondered this as i didn't want to jinx my old car. if you "pin", and the glue finally gives out. does the "pinning" keep the integrity of the "seal" of fittings once held only by epoxy/glue/whatever?
If it's pinned, or otherwise mechanically held in place in addition to the adhesive/sealant, the leak will get be slow enough to avoid spinning on your own coolant or causing the car behind you to crash. That's the theory,. As you see, at least one contributor to the thread thinks that pinning will prevent the failure of the adhesive sealant. Seems possible, I wouldn't have guessed it.

The video I posted shows exactly where they're located and it looks like you can get to seven of the eight while the engine is in the car.

There is anecdotal evidence on YouTube those seven are the ones that are prone to failure. I haven't found any reference of the eighth one failing .(the eighth being on the starboard side forward)

I'm leaning towards pinning the seven I can get to, and I doubt I can get to the eighth, certainly not to pin, and probably not to wire. This is for a street car that may go to the track once out if curiosity. My track vehicles have two tires.

Three specific questions for the community:

Has anyone had the adhesive sealant fail after the joints were pinned? AndAwas the failure mode weeping, or gushing?

And has anyone had the starboard forward coolant pipe fail? (On US cars that's passenger side)

Thanks again

Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Walter Piescik
Cruisin'

it's never "catastrophic" unless you were behind someone on a track when theirs blew out, and you lost it in their coolant residue. i'm sure that's why it's de rigueur for coolant lines to be retrofitted for most any/all track excursions.

for everyone else, its just a PITA repair as needed, or simply a proactive expense. as for me, if i ever did mine? jb weld and done lol.

but your point is well taken.
I was led to believe there's one other potential for catastrophe. The temperature sender is said to be located such that if you lose all of your coolant you won't be informed that you are overheating until it's too late and the engine is damaged. I know this to be true in the m96 engines. I don't have direct knowledge of it on the Metzger engine.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:13 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

My plan is to pin mine when I have everything out of the car to replace the clutch. Hopefully I don't have to replace the clutch for awhile tho!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:47 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i've never pondered this as i didn't want to jinx my old car. if you "pin", and the glue finally gives out. does the "pinning" keep the integrity of the "seal" of fittings once held only by epoxy/glue/whatever?
pinning it keeps the fitting from moving. thats what breaks the seal of the adhesive, the movemnt of the fitting under pressure and heat cycles. it may not last forever but it will never blow out . may seep . i pinned mine when a single fitting blew. the rubber hose was all that was holding it into the housing. i jb welded it and pinned the other 7 without removing them. not a single drip since

for the o/p mine was the pass side forward fitting under the oil cooler that failed. i jb welded it and its never leaked. nor the other 7. as for the temp sensor you can get the motor shut down in time. the issue may be that on the street you may not be able to safely stop before overheating occurs. aluminum engne and magnesium engine parts could lead to catasrtophic failure if run to long without cooling
Old 01-19-2019, 03:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was led to believe there's one other potential for catastrophe. The temperature sender is said to be located such that if you lose all of your coolant you won't be informed that you are overheating until it's too late and the engine is damaged. I know this to be true in the m96 engines. I don't have direct knowledge of it on the Metzger engine.
i can't even imagine losing coolant owing to a fitting failure and not "knowing" nearly instantaneously. sender failure, or not.

i do like this though:
I'm leaning towards pinning the seven I can get to, and I doubt I can get to the eighth, certainly not to pin, and probably not to wire.
7 out of 8 are odds i like. will file this away in memory for if and whenever i have time to do stuff, i may never need to.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:02 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
pinning it keeps the fitting from moving. thats what breaks the seal of the adhesive, the movemnt of the fitting under pressure and heat cycles. it may not last forever but it will never blow out . may seep . i pinned mine when a single fitting blew. the rubber hose was all that was holding it into the housing. i jb welded it and pinned the other 7 without removing them. not a single drip since

for the o/p mine was the pass side forward fitting under the oil cooler that failed. i jb welded it and its never leaked. nor the other 7. as for the temp sensor you can get the motor shut down in time. the issue may be that on the street you may not be able to safely stop before overheating occurs. aluminum engne and magnesium engine parts could lead to catasrtophic failure if run to long without cooling
thx for that steve. i know many track rats that swear by simply jb welding. perhaps they are pinning also. either way, i can't imagine those two methods as preventatives, wouldn't be "enough".
Old 01-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Walter Piescik
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=32krazy!;15578033]

for the o/p mine was the pass side forward fitting under the oil cooler that failed. i jb welded it

Is it safe to assume that you dropped the engine to make the repair?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

thx for that steve. i know many track rats that swear by simply jb welding. perhaps they are pinning also. either way, i can't imagine those two methods as preventatives, wouldn't be "enough".
if they are pulling the fittings to jb weld them then its highly likely they are pinning as well. it typically goes hand in hand. i just chose not to remove the fittings that were still set in place and pin them only. no issues since
[QUOTE=Walter Piescik;15578251]
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Is it safe to assume that you dropped the engine to make the repair?
yes i pulled the motor not for the fitting but an unrelated issue and found the fitting loose between the coolant hose and the housing.

Quick Reply: Safety wiring coolant hoses