Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Maybe he's a really nice guy in person, and ***** comes out on the board because he is type simple (is not tech savvy) or perhaps he is in fact better than all of us. Maybe he's got a high stress job and this forum allows him to go after idiots in a safe and humane fashion...

Maybe.
I would be willing to bet that this is true for most of us.

I have butted heads with him, but I'm sure he is a good guy. I also think it's cool to have OG original owners on here.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,925 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I would be willing to bet that this is true for most of us.

I have butted heads with him, but I'm sure he is a good guy. I also think it's cool to have OG original owners on here.
I removed myself from the forum for awhile because someone was trying to tell me a transmission wouldn't get hot if run without fluid... one of the Forums more senior members, and most certainly wrong in every way. I found myself getting really irritated, so much so that I had to step back and remember most folks are not like me, so it was rather unfair of me to be passing judgement on a guy who I have never met, despite the fact that his idiotic commentary was likely to cause a less technical person some very serious problems if anyone listened to him.

I too have a bad propensity to call it as I see it; this normally isn't a problem because those who know me (in person, not virtually...), know full well I am as honest as they come, however in a forum like this where no one knows me, I am expecting folks to take what I say on faith, and very little more. Although I have a lot of toys, my advanced understanding of their technical aspects is most like better than my ability to run them on tracks. This is not for lack of trying, I simply don't have the time.

Some of the members here have both mad driving skills AND technical know how. I like to learn, I understand that I have to learn from people. I think what some people on this forum have to learn is that we are all different, we are motivated by different things and clearly, our lives had many different paths that led us here for one reason and one reason only: The love of the 996 turbo.

Dumping on a guy because he says something you disagree with is not the same as dumping on a guy who makes an incorrect statement. The guys who makes the incorrect statement is more of a menace than the guy who speaks his mind because statement guy might influence someone and cause catastrophic failure, big costs to fix; he is dangerous.

Opinionated guy just bruised your ego. Your ego has no place in forum like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I removed myself from the forum for awhile because someone was trying to tell me a transmission wouldn't get hot if run without fluid... one of the Forums more senior members, and most certainly wrong in every way.
Keep dreaming that other member was wrong.

Just like your comment on Arkansas, you don't know what you don't know.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Keep dreaming that other member was wrong.

Just like your comment on Arkansas, you don't know what you don't know.
Thank you for proving my point.

So while I was trying to be diplomatic and polite, I will no longer refrain - you are an idiot.

If you want to cross pollinate posts - you should learn to read and comprehend better before opening your trap - all I said about Arkansas was that it was not a place I viewed as a performance haven, and that I was impressed with a 1000hp turbo, period. If you are reading something else into it, I, nor anyone else, can help you.

So Carlo, when you own and run an engineering firm that specializes in forensic failure analysis, by all means I would be more than happy to listen to you bestow upon me your great understanding of friction related failures. But as you do not, please remember your transmission needs fluid not to overheat, you tool.

I think Carlo it is better that you don't engage me in any manner; I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Old 02-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

... I find your lack of faith disturbing...
I find you lack of basic understand of anything and everything disturbing.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Back on topic, a quality track car that is treated properly will have better maintenance vs. a daily driver/garage queen. This was part of my 2019 maintenance, upgrades and refresh. Some of the parts didn't need to be removed and were updated due to superior quality, lighter or timed out with connecting parts.

Suspension, subframes, brakes, bearings, uprights, hubs, cooling, ducting and every last bolt that connects them, all new, except for a few items.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scawt

Back on topic, a quality track car that is treated properly will have better maintenance vs. a daily driver/garage queen. This was part of my 2019 maintenance, upgrades and refresh. Some of the parts didn't need to be removed and were updated due to superior quality, lighter or timed out with connecting parts.

Suspension, subframes, brakes, bearings, uprights, hubs, cooling, ducting and every last bolt that connects them, all new, except for a few items.

I see you are using CSF radiators; very sexy, as is all the rest of it.

Plus, I love your shop.

Last edited by 2fcknfst; 02-01-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

...a quality track car that is treated properly will have better maintenance vs. a daily driver/garage queen.
Since the bold above is a clarifying phrase, this means that there are track cars that are not treated properly and that these cars may not have better maintenance vs. a daily driver/garage queen cars.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Since the bold above is a clarifying phrase, this means that there are track cars that are not treated properly and that these cars may not have better maintenance vs. a daily driver/garage queen cars.
Not necessarily and the same condition is applied to cars that are not tracked and are not maintained properly. I recall someone not changing trans fluid after ~17 years

I see you are using CSF radiators; very sexy, as is all the rest of it.

Plus, I love your shop.
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not necessarily and the same condition is applied to cars that are not tracked and are not maintained properly.
The key here is that all cars, whether tracked, daily driven, or "garage queen", can be either well maintained or not well maintained (and all possibilities between these two ends). To subscribe to the belief that all garage queens are poorly maintained is as foolish as subscribing to the belief that all cars that are driven 20k miles/year are well maintained.

I recall someone not changing trans fluid after ~17 years
And the transmission fluid that was removed looked like new. Porsche recommends a far longer change interval than what was used on that 996 Turbo, and for good reason.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

pedantic

adjective
pe·​dan·​tic \ pi-ˈdan-tik \
1: of, relating to, or being a pedanta pedantic teacher
2: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned
a pedantic insistence that we follow the rules exactly
3: UNIMAGINATIVE, DULL
^^^
Old 02-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Using ~50% of the Porsche recommended fluid change interval as an interval to change a fluid is not being pedantic.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey pfbz, I thought I was on your ignore list.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I appreciate the feedback on this topic. I did procure a nice specimen, it happened to not be tracked that I am aware of, but that would not have precluded me from moving forward on one that was.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipman
I appreciate the feedback on this topic. I did procure a nice specimen, it happened to not be tracked that I am aware of, but that would not have precluded me from moving forward on one that was.
Congrats on the 996 Turbo.

Quick Reply: Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?