Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bumper time...opportunity to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

have you checked the intercooler/structure for damage?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
the plastic popping out, yes...but that thing will need painting, the paints completely creased
Not necessary. I have seen dents like these repaired with no repainting.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
The mod I'd consider in your shoes would be to fully delete the bumperettes and have the bumper filled in where the holes would be.
I'll second that. If you're getting the bumper reworked and painted, deleting those 'rettes would look very very clean!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:18 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
I am not a fan of bumperette delete. I got tagged in traffic by some jackass at about 1 mile per hour, zero damage because of the bumperettes.
Isn't that what bumpers are for? I don't believe that Porsche is throwing caution to the wind when they engineer their Euro-spec cars, only to be reigned in by the US authorities. I'm actually worried about the opposite scenario, where the bumperettes transfer damage to the frame in a > 5mph collision vs. allowing the bumper to absorb the impact.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
If you want to keep the bumperettes, have them painted body color. I know Eric at Bumper Plugs offers them in Factory colors
I believe Eric has a pair of Seal Gray in stock, due to a customer cancellation...
Old 01-18-2019, 06:28 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiPetrone
what did you use to cover the holes? that looks really good!
1/8" ABS plastic. Details here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...te-delete.html
Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I am not a fan of bumperette delete....zero damage because of the bumperettes.
No doubt that extra gobs of heavy rubber can help protect a car...

But it's funny pretty much not a single soul is a fan of keeping the front bumperettes! Anybody want to swap these back onto their car??

Same rules that brought us this, but hey, they would probably be good to have for a bit of extra protection!

Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not a fan of bumperette delete. I got tagged in traffic by some jackass at about 1 mile per hour, zero damage because of the bumperettes.
Self bump, and not for a good reason. I got rear ended again today, the bumperettes saved major damage. However, there are scratches and what appears to be misalignment issues. One thing I'm most concerned about is that the drivers side exhaust tip is now protruding about 3/4" more than the passenger side.

In 2.75 years I've had a kid back into the front of my car and been rear ended twice. Gotta love Silicon Valley drivers.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Self bump, and not for a good reason. I got rear ended again today, the bumperettes saved major damage. However, there are scratches and what appears to be misalignment issues. One thing I'm most concerned about is that the drivers side exhaust tip is now protruding about 3/4" more than the passenger side.

In 2.75 years I've had a kid back into the front of my car and been rear ended twice. Gotta love Silicon Valley drivers.
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Is it possible that the passenger side got pushed-in 3/4”?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

However, there are scratches and what appears to be misalignment issues. One thing I'm most concerned about is that the drivers side exhaust tip is now protruding about 3/4" more than the passenger side.
Did you get their insurance information?

Has the driver's side exhaust tip moved out, or has the passenger's side exhaust tip moved in (or both)?

​​​​​​
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Originally Posted by Dock
Did you get their insurance information?

Has the driver's side exhaust tip moved out, or has the passenger's side exhaust tip moved in (or both)?

​​​​​​
Yes, I have her insurance company. The driver's side exhaust now protrudes 3/4 more from the bumper than the passenger's side. However, I am concerned that the bumper collapsed into the exhaust so I'm going to see if anything was impacted for movement & damage.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Yes, I have her insurance company. The driver's side exhaust now protrudes 3/4 more from the bumper than the passenger's side. However, I am concerned that the bumper collapsed into the exhaust so I'm going to see if anything was impacted for movement & damage.
I agree that a full inspection of the exhaust and surrounding structures is a very good idea.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:00 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Originally Posted by mffarrell

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Is it possible that the passenger side got pushed-in 3/4”?
No, it was not. Curious, why do you ask?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:40 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The main bumper crash beam is supported by telescoping collapsible impact absorbers. These compress during an impact and often times collapse without fully re-extending. You may need to replace those. I have an extra pair if brand new unused rear bumper shock absorbers along with brand new rear bumperettes collecting dust in case anyone is looking for a pair.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:24 PM
mopdahl
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
The mod I'd consider in your shoes would be to fully delete the bumperettes and have the bumper filled in where the holes would be.
That is exactly what I am going to do. I almost pulled the trigger on a painted set of Eric's painted bumperettes, but I much prefer the cleaner look of full delete & the body shop is going to include that gratis when doing the bumper ($1050 including touching up a nick on the wing). Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: New bumper time...opportunity to mod?